Cold Start

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
Black Cat
Airman

Cold Start

Post by Black Cat »

Another Noob FS 2004/WOP question please.

When I load a WOP Thunderbolt it starts with the Engine ticking over. I would like to start cold and follow the check lists for pre flight on pages 38-39 of the excellent manual ?? ( Wish all FS 2004 add-ons had this quality manual and attention to detail )

How would I do this and can it be done by mouse clicking on the switches ?

New to FS 2004 and have scanned the game manuals but don`t see any way to do this in the pop up windows within the Sim.

As usual, any help appreciated :)
Thanks

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Shut the engine down and turn off all the compents necessary to start.
Once the aircraft is in a "dead" or cold state. Save the game at that point.
Recall that save later to start the engine from cold.
Snuffy

PhilC
Airman

Post by PhilC »

You can also perform the same procedure of shutting down everything in your default flight and re-save it as the default filght, and all flights will start cold and dark.
PhilC 'Snowman'

Black Cat
Airman

Never Will Get To Germany At This Rate

Post by Black Cat »

Hi

I cannot get the P-47D to start up, after shutting it down, following the exact sequence in the Manual.

I have tried loading the default Cessna Flight , to " wake up " the program and exiting, and then loading the D model, shutting it down and then trying to re-start.

I have tried loading the default Cessna flight, shutting it down, loading a D in the drop down menu, which is shut down at start up, and trying to start.

I have also tried shutting down the default flight, exiting and loading the WOP D , which starts shut down.

The prop turns over with the start switch in all versions above, but will not catch ( I have hit the primer 3-4 times as well )

I have all of these with both the 2 D and VC .

Has anyone got this to work and what is your procedure ?

Thanks

-E
Senior Airman

Post by -E »

Hit the starter repeatedly/constantly until it fires (assuming all other switches are set correctly).

Black Cat
Airman

Post by Black Cat »

-E wrote:Hit the starter repeatedly/constantly until it fires (assuming all other switches are set correctly).
That did it...key word is " Constantly " seems.

Thanks much !

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I recently converted to 'cold starts' after learning the trick of starting a created flight, shutting down the motor and saving as my Default Flight. What's great about doing this is now all planes start out with a stopped engine regardless of model or airport. I carefully positioned my WOP Thunderbolt in the hangar of MAAM's freeware Reading, PA scenery before saving and also tuned the radio so that the hangar door opens for me as soon as the flight loads. :)

I thought this thread was worth bumping. I also wanted to add a tip that I gleaned from the WWII Fighters Special Edition forum that seems to have fixed the anemic starter switch in the P-47D-22 from the FS9 mega-pack:

1. In your Flight Simulator 9/Aircraft/WOP_P-47D22 folder, locate your Aircraft.cfg file and open iit with notepad, wordpad or similar.
2. Find the block that starts with: [piston_engine].
3. Edit the line: "normalized_starter_torque=0.035" so that it reads:
normalized_starter_torque=0.1
4. Save your edit and fly.

I haven't tested the other P-47 variants yet so I don't know if they need to be adjusted as well. Also, perhaps a value somewhere between 0.035 and 0.1 would be more realistic? If so, I'd be interested in comments from the developers.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

A quick update:

I tested the starter of an unedited P-47D-25 after posting. It seems to me that the switch on the 2D panel may work a little better than the starter switch in the VC. The VC switch did start the plane though if I fast-clicked the mouse button over it instead.

I went back to the edited P-47D-22 file and changed the torque value to 0.05 instead, which is closer to the original number of 0.035. I then tested in FS9 using the VC, and the engine caught the first and only time I hit the starter switch.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

mattskinner
Airman First Class

Re:

Post by mattskinner »

Skycat wrote:A quick update:

I tested the starter of an unedited P-47D-25 after posting. It seems to me that the switch on the 2D panel may work a little better than the starter switch in the VC. The VC switch did start the plane though if I fast-clicked the mouse button over it instead.

I went back to the edited P-47D-22 file and changed the torque value to 0.05 instead, which is closer to the original number of 0.035. I then tested in FS9 using the VC, and the engine caught the first and only time I hit the starter switch.
Yes, attention to all FSX users. That is the trick with cold starting the P-47. I too changed the aircraft.cfg file as Skycat mentioned to "normalized_starter_torque=0.10". This has something to do with how FSX is configured for cold starting. So just change the value, save the file and you shouldn't have any problems! Make sure you open the fuel valve. Mine starts out set too "cut off" (default).

P.S. I also had to change my P-40 the same way.

Matt :D
Windows 7 . FSX Deluxe w/Accelaration . REX2 . UTX . GEXe
TrackIR 4 Pro . Logitech Extreme 3D Pro . 22" LG Flatron 2ms
Homebuilt PC with all sorts of goodies.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Re:

Post by CodyValkyrie »

mattskinner wrote:
P.S. I also had to change my P-40 the same way.

Matt :D
The problem with the P-47 is being addressed and we will have a fix shortly for the FSX models.

As for the P-40?! This makes no sense. It never had any startup issues that I am aware of. I have done many cold starts in her.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”