Flight Manual Help

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
el_invasor01
Airman First Class

Flight Manual Help

Post by el_invasor01 »

Anyone know where i can get a free p-47 flight manual? I am planning to buy one but right now i'm on a really tight budget that I already passed, lol (gettin married in june). At least just the performance charts like the cruise, climb, etc. I already downloaded the free sample scans on zeno's but i need the charts for external loads and the weapon loads becuase the only cruise chart is for clean or empty drop tank. Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Check the major FS freeware sites for a P-47M by 'Gnoopy' -- I think the author's real name is Tom Kohler or similar. As I recall the package was built for Sim Outhouse and it is based on the CFS-3 model but with improvements and additions. Anyway, the download is fleshed out with scans from an actual P-47 pilot's manual that are presented in HTML format. The intent was to be able to view them in the kneeboard while in flight, but I found it to be easier and more reliable to simply look at the pages outside of the sim in a standard image viewer.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

alastairmonk
Airman First Class

Post by alastairmonk »

Not free but still pretty cheap, there is a P-47 Manual available from the MAAM-Sim Store:

http://www.maam.org/php/xcart/PILOTS-MA ... 16408.html

Alastair

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

P-40 manual (c. 1943)

P-51 manual (c.1945)

P-47N manual (c.1945)

P-38 training manual (c.1945)

There are others if you feel like exploring:
http://www.tailwheel.nl/index.html

I found another great link with lots of free vintage manuals that you can download. You have to register at the site first:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/other- ... tems-tech/The link above has the AAF's official 1943 P-47 Flight Operating Instructions handbook for the B,C,D and G models. The site also hosts scans (in PDF format) of typewritten operating notes that were actually issued to pilots during the war I think, because it has a crude drawing of a razorback Thunderbolt on the cover.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I forgot that Zeno's Warbirds dot-com has free excerpts from manuals as well as streaming vids from training films. Check this page for the charts you want:
Zeno's Warbirds P-47 Stuff

The scans are taken from the same P-47B/C/D/G manual that is available for free here:
P-47 Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions, January, 1943
This full PDF manual is 'printer ready.' I printed it at home and then I had it bound at an office supply store for a professional quality finish.

In an earlier post I provided a link to a copy of the P-47N Training Manual. That version is clean and easy to read but the PDF file is locked and you can't print from it. The source scans can be found here:
P-47N Training Manual, September 1945. This version is also in PDF format but is directly from the scanner, warts and all. However it is at a higher resolution and it can be printed out.

Finally, scans of actual P-47 operating notes. Some of the pages are hard to read, the first couple are missing, and the rest are posted in reverse order ... but overall, an interesting document to review.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”