British Explorer Prepares To Dig Up 140 Spitfires

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

British Explorer Prepares To Dig Up 140 Spitfires

Post by budmorgan »

Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Re: British Explorer Prepares To Dig Up 140 Spitfires

Post by bigjuicyspider »

140. Would have been neat if it had just been one. But One hundred and Forty.
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

Somethingfake
Senior Airman

Post by Somethingfake »

140 Spitfires....Christ on a crutch.
Image Image Image

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Yesterday the estimate was 60 Spitfires, and before that the estimate was perhaps as many 30. Perhaps they are dazzling investors by exaggerating the potential profit?
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

i still dont think theres either as many as they say, or that they'll be in "pristine condition". I reckon it'll be a load of rusted parts at best. Also 140 spitfires to burma?? sounds a bit much for what was considered very much a "sideshow".

I would however, loved to be proved wrong :)

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

Great to see intrest has been found in getting these rare bird unearthed....
Now if someone could generate enough intrest to bring that P-40 back....

Sizel
Airman First Class

Post by Sizel »

I heard they were going to be used against Japan but they then surrendered practically upon there arrival in Burma. So they were left there, probably too much effort to retrieve them.. Anyhow i heard it was about 60. Great find this. Keeps Aviation shows stocked up.

A2A not your only source for a nice Spitfire then.
Kind Regards
Simon

P-51 Mustang + ACCU-SIM - Spitfire MK1&MK2 + ACCU-SIM - P-40 Tomahawk + ACCU-SIM - Piper J3 CUB + ACCU-SIM - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - C172 Trainer - ACCU-FEEL V2

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

If (fingers crossed) these aircraft are actually in good shape, I'm really hoping to see a six ship team all painted alike demostrating formations and military maneuvers, much like the Geico Skytypers do in their SNJ-2's.

Joe
Joe

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Depending on how the aircraft were preserved for shipment, and then subsequently buried is going to depend a lot on how salvageable they are.. Obviously your main enemy is corrosion. The article is certaintly misleading I would think by claiming they would be in mint condition. As long as none of the major structures have extreme corrosion damage you may be able to clean them up, reskin them, and restore them. Would be great to see a large number found to be possibly restorable to flight condition though.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

Roadburner426 wrote:Depending on how the aircraft were preserved for shipment, and then subsequently buried is going to depend a lot on how salvageable they are.. Obviously your main enemy is corrosion. The article is certaintly misleading I would think by claiming they would be in mint condition. As long as none of the major structures have extreme corrosion damage you may be able to clean them up, reskin them, and restore them. Would be great to see a large number found to be possibly restorable to flight condition though.
It's not like they're buried underground in an area of the world with very high moisture levels and seasonal torrential rainfalls.

Oh, wait a minute... where where they at, again? Ooops, my bad. But hey, they are supposed to be covered in was paper, so it's all good.

As much as I'd love to see tens of good-looking Spitfires emerge, I just do not have that degree of trust in wax paper.

Check this story out.
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

While the area may not have a high moisture content in the air they will still corrode. I thought the same thing, but seeing how some of the desert aircraft have come back with the corrosion I have seen it is not completely eliminated. It is definately nowhere near as bad as sea based aircraft though. Wasn't sure if they covered Spitfires in grease or something for shipment or not.

Crazy about that poor Plymouth though. Water is definately your worst enemy. Not sure of the concrete they used, but if it was any type of porous concrete it wouldn't have taken much for water to get in the voids and freeze/crack it allowing water to free flow in. Growing up in South Carolina we always heard rumors about a guy who enclosed an old Corvette in a similar manner above ground to eventually be found. Never sure how true it was, or if it was just an old tale my dad would tell me since he knew I loved cars growing up.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

MAGGIEMAE
Senior Airman

Post by MAGGIEMAE »

:| I have seen pristine aircraft built from a pile of junk e.g. The Mossie in NZ.
ImageImageImageImage
[ImageImage[/url]

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”