Amateur 3D modelling tools

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Amateur 3D modelling tools

Post by bigjuicyspider »

It has been years and years since I messed around with any 3D modelling tools...and I mean years. I had a good working knowledge of earlier versions of Blender back in the day...the user interface was appalling...and the latest version I downloaded just the other day, not only was it completely different, the new interface seems even worse than ever before. I would have to learn everything completely from scratch more or less, and from what I saw messing around with the newest version of Blender recently, the learning curve is going to be worse than it ever was. I also screwed around a bit with GMAX almost a decade ago, but that is an ancient program, and I'm not sure I want to invest the time to re aquaint myself with something so old. Either way this looks like its going to be the tedious process of spending weeks or months doing tutorials to make animated gingerbread men and shiny spheres levitating over a checkerboard...

So what are the amateur 3D modellers out there using these days? What is the preferred thing to use? I don't like to use half-&&sed programs, but I don't think I'm willing to spend the $$$s to get a pro programs like 3DS...I'm not sure if I'm "serious" about getting good at this sort of thing, or if it's just a passing interest. What do people recommend?
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

stiz
BDG

Re: Amateur 3D modelling tools

Post by stiz »

The wheel is ancient but is still one of the most widely used designs in the world, dont knock summing just cos of its age. Also the trick with programs is learning what you need to, why bother learning how to animate a gingerbread man if your going to making a plane or static vehicle :wink:

Anyway, the only ones i know about are gmax, blender or sketchup anyway, so pick one that works for you and go for it :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Amateur 3D modelling tools

Post by Lewis - A2A »

FSX SDK has GMAX tutorials etc so might as well use it. Plus its good for transfer of skills if you do move to max etc.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”