Scenery Fail with ORBX UK

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Well after lot of money spent on scenery for uk FTX UK is just amazing and wins by far BUT !!! I am very pissed off that I cant use 3rd party scenery such as UKBA and UK01 Bassingbourn and Deenethorpe ????
WOW FSX Sucks can anyone recommend a fix to this and nothing stupid like go back to default scenery. I have overlapping textures, buildings and trees on the grounds ? ahhhh sooooo sick of this crap !!! A2A simulations is not the same with out WW2 bases to fly from. Rant over upset Scuddy :(

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Re: Scenery Fail with ORBX UK

Post by Tomesk »

If you haven't already you should definitely post on the FTX forums as well: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index

Good luck :)
ImageImage

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

Scuddy wrote:WOW FSX Sucks
its not FSX, its orbx/ftx, they do things their own way without regards to anyone who's followed the fsx SDK way of doing scenery (in other words, the standard way), they brake everyone elses work then demand everyone else follows their way just to get scenery to work. I'm sure Ian P will give you a full run down rant if ya ask for it :)

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Hum, I'm using OrbX EU and the 91st BG version of UKBA works just fine. I haven't had a look at Deenethorpe yet
so don't know if there is an issue there.

Ian created the UKBA that the 91st Bombardment Group uses. What version are you using?

The only issues I found at UKBA was a lake that OrbX puts in the middle near some of the ammo bunkers
and vehicle paths. I removed that with a simple "exclude" file created with SBuilderX.

All the runways and buildings are intact.

Paul

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Right I will post on the FTX forums and see what they say. Gypsy Baron I have no idea what version I am using for UKBA I will check the website and re download.
Is there a way that I can get the fix you did or talk me though what you did ? Anyway thanks guys for the info I hopefully can fly with ease :D

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Gypsy Baron,

I have just installed the new version and same trees,buildings and other on parking spots lol I will check out the SBuilderX to see if i can make it work.

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Scuddy wrote:Gypsy Baron,

I have just installed the new version and same trees,buildings and other on parking spots lol I will check out the SBuilderX to see if i can make it work.

"Scuddy"
Where did you download that UKBA from?

Problems can arise where OrbX changes the land class textures. I noticed a fix I did some time ago to
remove some trees from the approaches at UKBA resulted in MORE trees when I enabled OrbX EU.
The landclass I used was one without trees but OrbX modified that landclass to a forest :)

Removing my fix corrected that but I still had to go in and remove some trees from approaches using
a land class that 'worked' in both the default and OrbX environments.

This was not ON the UKBA field but just beyond the UKBA boundary. There were now trees inserted
on UKBA itself.

GB

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Something Orbx does (they deny this, but I have plenty of proof that it happens from numerous people) breaks the default "AB_Exclude" poly property, so if landclass below an airport has houses, trees, bushes, etc. then they show through the exclusion designed to exclude them.

The other thing they do, which they claim is something that "all scenery designers should do" is that they place airport structures, static models, etc. in a separate BGL file to the AFD. This is NOT what you should do and goes directly against the SDK, making half the advances in FSX scenery design tools utterly pointless.

There is a simple answer, but it is time consuming, which can be done in either SBuilderX or ADE9x, for example: you have to create a plain grass landclass polygon that covers your entire airfield, to match the AB_Flatten_ExcludeAutogen polygon, then place a legacy FS9-style exclusion rectangle over the entire airfield to remove their new hand-placed models. Provided your airfields are then layered above Orbx in the scenery library, you should be OK.

I can't do anything about it at the moment, because installing either the A2A Civvy Mustang or Orbx England destroyed my registry and I'm currently just starting to rebuild my Windows installation from scratch. I will, however - eventually - make all my airfields compatible with Orbx England. I won't claim to be happy about it or impressed about having to do so, because someone else deliberately doesn't follow the rules.

Ian P.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

I like the ORBX stuff a lot, but I agree 100% Ian. The worst part about it is that you can't point any of that out on their site. The devs will stamp you out, and the fanboys will happily trample on your ashes! The REX guys are the same way. NickN pointed out a flaw in one of their designs, and they lost it. Oh well, such is life. ;)

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I should probably add, as I have just been reminded by stiz, that there are circumstances where Orbx's approach are perfectly good and the best way to do it - specifically when you are placing a lot of objects in one large Gmax/MAX scene, rather than placing lots of library objects as Orbx UK have done. You can't really include buildings the way that, for instance, the Duxford scenery is made, within the AFD file.

That's annoying, but not disastrous. What causes the majority of problems is the way they change and mess about with landclass, flattens and other scenery standards. It does, not many people will dispute, make their sceneries look much better than most other developers'. However it does so at the expense of causing major compatibility issues.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

I agree, their scenery is, IMHO, the best looking scenery around. But like you said, they do some things that help them and make it hard for others.

Scuddy
Airman First Class

Post by Scuddy »

Thank you guys for the support :) I have enjoyed reading the info you have shared. It has come to me now that I cant be bothered anymore with this as I am always trying to ask for help about bugs and other things this simulator provides. Its taken my passion away from me and I have been doing this for 3 years so I think you understand. I also notices between UK and France there is a massive green patch of land ???? Not right I give up with FSX its just well CRAP !!!!

"Scuddy"
Image Image Image Image

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Try moving UKBA and UK01 up in your scenery library, above all the OrbX stuuff except the library
entries they put at the top.

I did a quick test flight out og UKBA today and found that UKMO and UKPK had trees on the runways, etc.

However, UKBA, UK01, EGMA, EGXT, EGYD and EGSU were fine.

UKMO and UKPK on my system are in a folder that is BELOW the OrbX entries. If I have time I will move
the folder they are in up and see if there are any differences. By 'up' I mean using the FSX Scenery Library
"Add area" menu and moving the folder up there...not in the scenery.cfg file...where it would move DOWN :)

Ian, I was successful in removing the OrbX EU 'lake' that sits in the missle of some of the ammo bunkers and
vehicle paths on UKBA. I used the 'standard' exclude all water polygons in SBuilderX to get rid of the lake.

I al;so did a bit of tree trimming on the Rwy 17 and 25 approaches, using LC_GRASS_SKIRTING, LC_GRASS and
LC_AIRFIELD2 polys. I had to switch back and forth between default and OrbX to select the LC polys that 'worked'
in both environments but I was able to satisfy both setups with one BGL.

One thing I discovered was if you happen to use the FTX control panel to enable both NA and EU, one at
a time, of course, you must beware that if you enabled NA AFTER EU there will be dense forests all around
UKBA! That rather startled me unt8il I figured out what was happening.

The safest approach is to enable the defualt FSX and then either the NA, EU or OZ areas as each overwrite
various LC textures and the EU LC that put some farm fields around UKBA becomes dense forest when the NA
area is enabled. :)
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Chunk wrote:I agree, their scenery is, IMHO, the best looking scenery around. But like you said, they do some things that help them and make it hard for others.
Their scenery is the best, and go capitalism!

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

I TOTALLY AGREE about the REX and the FTX / ORBX forums ..march and post in corporate lockstep, or you're out! I was thinking today (an original thought) how ironic it is the REX and FTX/ORBX forums and thier disguised shills on other sim sites ENCOURAGE everyone to participate but then chide them for dissenting opinions or negative criticism when they do so. It is as if they want to enlist 'invite' your free advertising value (when you tuthfully promote thier products) but "There's the door' if you truly speak your mind or in any way challenge them or disagree. I see through it and speak out. It is PATHETICALLY transparent. Same bucket of feces at avsim.com where so many masked FSX developers hang-out. Lick thier boots or adios!! 8)

I don't see those kinds of tactics here.

Happy SKIES to ALL

BTW I don't know Land Class from Algebra Class. As a dumb FSX consumer I like FTX / ORBX products. Looking forward to Bella Coola release soon...never met Mr. Russell White but I think he's cool!
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”