Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress flight with cockpit view and ATC

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Norforce
Senior Master Sergeant

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress flight with cockpit view and ATC

Post by Norforce »

Not my video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsO8GTXgGAI[/youtube]
Published on May 21, 2015 by Nick Murray

Take a flight in a World War II B-17G bomber. Interesting to see the detail of engine start, taxi, take off, cruise and landing all from cockpit.
You can take a flight in this B-17 as well, book via the link below
http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org

Find me on Facebook here
https://www.facebook.com/kiwinicktube
Find me on Twitter here
https://twitter.com/nick_murray
Find me on Instagram here
http://instagram.com/droppedbaby1

Category
Autos & Vehicles
License
Standard YouTube License
Ron
B-17 AIRFRAME 710 HRS PLUS AND CLIMBING
ImageImageImageImage

GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 MB, INTEL I7 950, 12GB DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64, GIGABYTE SUPER OVER CLOCK GTX 560 TI 1GB GGDDR5 1000Mz, CORSAIR 850W PS, NOCTUA NH-D14,
TRACKIR 5 & TrackClipPro

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Re: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress flight with cockpit view and

Post by crazac »

Sick! I would love to fly in one of those (in real ;)). It has to be amazing. Can't say I would like to be at war in one, but, amazing even still.

Thanks for sharing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

svaughn01
Staff Sergeant

Post by svaughn01 »

Great video and a sweet landing 8)

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Outstanding video of a very beautiful B-17. I noticed the airspeed indicator to the left of the altimeter, in the nose was not working (it read "0" with the plane moving/flying).

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8)

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Way cool, thanks. I can almost hear Scott's voice saying "Ah Captain, I think you should give it a bit more throttle".

I love the vibrations and the movement of the airplane as the engines start,,wish I could get that with the A2A B-17. I know the panel vibrates but did you see how the whole plane moved with the engine starting?

A2A B-17 - that video just shows how real this model is and how well they replicate the real plane and startup.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Very nice video. This was taken at Sikorsky Memorial Airport(KBDR) located in Stratford, Connecticut, USA. The ramp they were using to park was a small GA FBO called Three Wing Aviation. As they taxi on the left you can see the hangar for Volo Aviation, the helicopter on the ramp is an Agusta 109E Power (N129CG) and you can see a Falcon 900 in the hangar as well. The runway they used was was the NW-SE runway 11-29, Using 11 for departure. As the B-17 leaves the runway in the external shot you can see my former employer, Atlantic Aviation (we hosted Liberty Belle twice before she crashed, the second time I got to ride in here all the way to New Haven and back) This one usually came in alone but sometimes with a P-51, and 909 and Witchcraft(B-24) also made stops during the touring season. The construction equipment is there completely redoing Runway 6-24 and adding EMAS material to the departure end of 6.(had a PC-12 land long in some bad weather and ran through the fence.) The ugly blue hangars you see just under the B-17 as it leaves the ground are the original two hangars that had the tower and a Wright Flying school, and have been there since 1923. There is a video on YouTube showing Igor Sikorsky testing one of his first helicopters and you can see these in the background briefly. The 4 large hangars where you see the Atlantic sign, were built in the 40's and these were used for final assembly of the Vought-Sikorsky(nope not a typo) F4U Corsair, 4 years ago there was a large airshow where they brought in 5 flying Corsairs to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the type being built there. Notable signees of the vistors log include Charles Lindburg, Amelia Earhart, and Charles "Chuck" Yeager. This airport is full of history and the town of Stratford has tried to close it many times citing "noise complaints" from the handful of rich people that live around the airport. The airport is owned and operated by the city of Bridgeport, CT (hence the ICAO of KBDR used to be Bridgeport Airport), and this has seen many lawsuits to try to wrest control from Bridgeport but, to no avail. Not only does Bridgeport still own it, it is being brought up to modern FAA standards with money earmarked by the FAA back in the 80's when it was designated an important secondary airport that would help offload the majors.(it's only 50nm from JFK, LGA, and about 65nm from Newark(KEWR) and Teterborough(KTEB)).

Sorry for the long post but, as you can see I really ate up the history of this airport when I worked there as a line tech for Atlantic Aviation.

Paul
Last edited by ImpendingJoker on 16 Dec 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

That yellow hurts my eyes O_O

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yes, all but invisible using Tapatalk!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

One of the best I have seen. I could almost smell it. Love the smell of old airplane interiors as it brings back memories of flying with my dad when I was a kid.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”