What are A2A and others using for warbird controllers

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Re: What are A2A and others using for warbird controllers

Post by Adam_NZ »

Whatever you do, don't go the Saitek route. I still use my old X52 (standard) and Saitek Pro rudders, but the pots on both have always been pretty spiky - right from new. Also, Saitek drivers are always very outdated, so I'm not sure how things would pan out if you ever update to Windows10 at some stage.

I also spend a fair bit of time in DCS, so I really need a stick/throttle combo as opposed to a yoke. Though my X52 has seen a lot of use (and I will probably stick with it until it dies), if I was building a new sim system I'd be looking at any one of the contact-less optical controllers.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

I ended up purchasing the CH Fighterstick. I noticed that you can buy the Warthog stick by itself but that was still $286 vs $125 for the Fighterstick. Maybe a few years down the road I'll finally upgrade to the Warthog setup. I do own the DCS A-10C so it would be wonderful. And as far as yokes go (since we're talking about controllers) I tend to go back and forth on using a yoke or a stick for GA flying. I really enjoy the extra fine control I get out of a stick vs my Saitek Cessna yoke. I do like the yokes for flying heavies such as the PMDG 737 and A2A B17.

I'm looking forward to the Fighterstick. It will be here on Saturday and, if I remember, I'll report back here with my thoughts.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I don't even dare to say that out loud but I'm still using my good old Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro. That stick is easy 10 years old. More likely 15 :shock: But it's still working like a charm so I never had the urge to upgrade. I'm not much of a yoke fan anyways. I can do the heavies and the GA with the stick just fine. I couldn't imagine flying the Mustang or the Spitfire with a yoke though!

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

I've been using the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for 3 years, after several decades with the CH controllers (HOTAS and yoke). The Hall sensor technology makes it more precise and, hopefully, more reliable than the low cost potentiometer mechanism of the CH controllers which tends to spike around the value after a while. I still use the CH Pro pedals though but looking around for what the competition offers. The WH is expensive but worth it. A drawback for some that I personally see as an asset is that the joystick tension is strong, it reminds you to trim :D !

I use it for all my aircraft, warbirds, GA and the 732.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I agree the CH Combat or Fighter sticks are the best joysticks for the money. I also suggest you mount it securely in a realistic position. You can't have precise control with a controller that can slide around. Unfortunately many joysticks including the CH do not have mounting holes. It would be fairly easy to mount the CH stick to a plate with mounting holes drilled into the corners. When I used CH sticks I used giant rubber bands cut from an inner tube. If I was still using CH I would go with the mounting plate solution. The warthog has mounting holes for the stick but not for the throttle, go figure. You don't need to build a simpit to have properly placed and secured controllers. If more people demanded that the controllers have a mounting system the manufacturers would have to get with it. Lets face it a big part of their sales is likely to folks who are dabbling in flight simulation and will lose interest in short order.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I was thinking about what I had said about mounting the CH stick to a plate. So I got one out and took a look. As you can see if you remove the rubber feet it exposes 4 assembly screws in the corners. You could just find some longer screws and mount a plate made of metal, wood or hardboard. Yes it may void your warranty if you are concerned about such things. :roll: You could also mount the plate with four blobs of silicon adhesive which could be removed fairly easily and no one would be the wiser if you needed your warranty. I use this method often to mount things and it very secure.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Another Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 user for the joystick aircraft. I use the CH Eclipse yoke for the yoke equipped aircraft and CH Pro pedals for both of these controllers. The MSFF2 is a bit lacking in the number of programmable buttons but workable for me.

With P3DV3.2 update, the MSFF2 can be calibrated within P3D and the Force Feedback works if you want that feature or leave the AC cord unplugged if not. For the CH products, I use the CH Control manager for calibration.

All of these work just fine in Win10 64 bit :D
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 + Saitek x65 throttle. Just love old MS sticks. After my first MS SW2 died after 13 years of usage, I bought another one on the auction :)

afcraig2010
Staff Sergeant

Post by afcraig2010 »

So I've got the CH Products Fighterstick and I really love it. Only downside is you can definitely feel crossing over the x and y axis lines but you get used to it. The extra range of motion is really really nice and very precise. You can really make fine tune adjustments in pitch on landing. And the ergonomics are pretty good. Feels like a quality made product. Buttons feel solid. This was an upgrade from a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Worth the $125 I spent on Amazon.

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS X. It's a really nice stick with plenty of buttons, but I do wish for a Prop and Mixture axis sometimes. But for ~$30 its definitely worth the money.
ImageImage
ImageImage

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

I've decided I'm going to stick with my Yoke, its just to much of a pain in the ass to swap around controller's and set up different controls everytime :? I still have my rudder pedals and throttle quadrant as well.
So ill have to make do, as some others do by using a stick for aircraft with a yoke.

But I can still put my throttle quad on my left, and just control yoke with hands on the centre part or just one side, if you know what I mean lol!
Improvise, adapt, and overcome :wink:

J
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”