The world's most feared fighter - the F-22

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

The world's most feared fighter - the F-22

Post by Scott - A2A »

Taken from A2A's Jake Gentile at this year's Sun n Fun 2016. It took a lot of patience, hard work, and about a thousand pictures to get one like this:

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Re: The world's most feared fighter - the F-22

Post by Pistonpilot »

Perfect! Photography is a lot of trial and error, but that's part of the fun - especially with digital cameras. Really nice action shot, Jake!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

That is very impressive 8) , I brought a camera finally a couple years back mainly to photo aircraft internals and airport buildings, I'd probably twenty per cent of its operation.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Super Awesome! Great job and congrats Jake! I love this capture.

Photography, especially outdoor action, can be especially difficult. I've tried my hand at motorcycle racing photography. The right equipment, knowledge, practice and just shooting are keys to what gets you there. I'm no master and have mad respect for people that can do it.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Awesome photo! Nicely done. That is a perfect shot!

I find the difficulty really is that everything has to come together in this one shot. Even the things you don't have control over. The lighting, the angle at which the object is passing you and in this case the condensation over the wing. I tried my luck at the Flying Legends Airshow in Duxford a couple of years back with rather poor results :wink:

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Jake.....That is one beautiful shot. Congrats and keep up the photography, it is a great hobby and / or profession.

You captured the after-burner glow as well as the vapor cloud on the leading edge. Very difficult to do. Frame that one Jake.....It is a winner.

I know well that it is the photographer that does the work to get such a shot, but being a photographer hobbyist, what camera and lens were you using.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

RotorWash
Staff Sergeant

Post by RotorWash »

Nice pic, shouldn't the title be the worlds most expensive lemon though ? 8)

I would have thought the Eurofighter Typhoon deserved the Title, worlds most feared fighter ? :wink:

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

RotorWash wrote:Nice pic, shouldn't the title be the worlds most expensive lemon though ? 8)

I would have thought the Eurofighter Typhoon deserved the Title, worlds most feared fighter ? :wink:

I don't think so :) (Both aircraft were designed with different mission requirements)

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yes indeed - as far as I've studied the latest military planes, the F-22 seems to be a magnificent air superiority fighter, and kind of a last dinosaur. It doesn't seem it was axed because of its lack performance, but because of its lack of utility in the world of warfare as seen by the time that was decided. The Eurofighter Typhoon, the French Dassault Rafale, and even the predecessors of the F-22, such as American F-15 and the Soviet/Russian Su-27 (Су-27) platform have evolved as multi-role fighters - something the F-22 just wasn't designed to do - at least cost-effectively. I'm not sure if the PAK FA, or T-50 (ПАК ФА) is intended to be a multi-role platform or a pure air superiority fighter, to counter the F-22. Nevertheless, it surely puts some questions on the decision of ending the F-22 program, when speaking of arms race.

-Esa

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Just curious...what's all this talk about the F-22 'program' being 'ended'? I have friends who fly the damn thing. Just because we aren't building any more of them doesn't mean it's gone! Cripes, the airplane I fly stopped production in the 60's but still serves a purpose! :D

Additionally...it's kinda made to fly really high and avoid dog fights by just shooting from further away than anyone else can. 'Air superiority' is much less glamorous than people imagine nowadays. ;)

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Eurofighter?

If anything the Sopwith Camel would be the most feared...the only Fighter (although termed a Scout in those days) to have killed as many of its pilots as the enemy did!

:)

Btw, fantastic photo Jake.....love the F22 and at least, unlike its younger, hideously expensive and buggy cousin the F35, it CAN conduct operations.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Pistonpilot wrote:Just curious...what's all this talk about the F-22 'program' being 'ended'? I have friends who fly the damn thing. Just because we aren't building any more of them doesn't mean it's gone! Cripes, the airplane I fly stopped production in the 60's but still serves a purpose! :D

Additionally...it's kinda made to fly really high and avoid dog fights by just shooting from further away than anyone else can. 'Air superiority' is much less glamorous than people imagine nowadays. ;)

-Ian C
'The program' refers to the United States Air Force originally intending to have a little under 400 in their inventory as opposed to the 187 that were delivered up to the end of production in 2011. The program was a very successful one, its the F-35 that has had incredible technical problems, costs overruns, etc.
Killratio wrote:Eurofighter?
If anything the Sopwith Camel would be the most feared...the only Fighter (although termed a Scout in those days) to have killed as many of its pilots as the enemy did!
No the Sopwith Scout was Sopwith's official name for the fighter plane known as the 'Pup'. Two different planes. The Camel was an incredible fighter, a very technical and dangerous airplane, where you could turn 90 degrees left in the time you could turn 270 right due to the torque and gyroscopic effect of the rotary engine. Whereas the Scout was lauded for its fine handling characteristics and was a favorite personal plane (behind lines) of many commanding officers.

Camel ^

Pup ^

Jake - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Jake - A2A »

Al FR-153 wrote:Jake.....That is one beautiful shot. Congrats and keep up the photography, it is a great hobby and / or profession.

You captured the after-burner glow as well as the vapor cloud on the leading edge. Very difficult to do. Frame that one Jake.....It is a winner.

I know well that it is the photographer that does the work to get such a shot, but being a photographer hobbyist, what camera and lens were you using.

Cannon T3 (or T4 don't really remember), with a 250mm lens from Cannon.

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Epic shot Jake! Well done, keep it up!

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

pjc747 wrote:
Killratio wrote:Eurofighter?
No the Sopwith Scout was Sopwith's official name for the fighter plane known as the 'Pup'. Two different planes. The Camel was an incredible fighter, a very technical and dangerous airplane, where you could turn 90 degrees left in the time you could turn 270 right due to the torque and gyroscopic effect of the rotary
Camel ^

Pup ^

Peter, you misunderstand me. The term "Scout" was universally used by the British and Commonwealth to refer to that class of aircraft which performed that role, rather than the term "fighter", which was a later invention. I made the distinction because technically the Camel was NEVER known as a "fighter" even though that is what the modern generation (sadly even amongst the younger World War One Aviation community who gladly refer to Fighters, Kills and all sorts of other anachronistic nonsence.) would term it. The Germans and French used terms which basically meant Hunters or similar. The first fighter to be known as such was the Bristol Fighter which performed an altogether different role....the same fighting recon role that was fullfilled by the Fe2b, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter and their ilk.

The Pup was officially called the Scout correct, as was the earlier Bristol Scout before it
and both did indeed have admirable handling, having a more or less conventional layout at the time. The Sopwith F1 Camel was a Scout aeroplane and both benefitted from and suffered from having most of its wieght in the first four or five feet of the aircraft and from being rigged quite tail heavey at flying speeds to support low speed handling.

Btw, it may interest you to know that the official name of the Camel was the Sopwith F1 and not "Camel" . That was an epithet applied by pilots because of the hump which covered the guns.

Best regards

Darryl
Last edited by Killratio on 17 Apr 2016, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”