Why is it "rotate" and not "pull back" ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Why is it "rotate" and not "pull back" ?

Post by Styggron »

Hi everyone,
I've looked around, read docs here and there but no where do I find a good answer as to why it is called "rotate" and not "pull back" for take off procedure.

Yes I know it is one word shorter and that "that is what it is called" but that is not an explanation. It must have been called that for a reason and I am just curious as to what that reason is.

Flare makes sense to me but not "rotate". "Pull back" makes more sense because that is what you do no matter what control you have.

Thanks in advance
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Why is it "rotate" and not "pull back" ?

Post by pjc747 »

Because you rotate on the main gear with a pitch up nose attitude to climb away from the ground. Also, the word rotate is easy to say and doesn't sound like anything else, therefore can't be misconstrued as any other command.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

pjc747 wrote:Because you rotate on the main gear with a pitch up nose attitude to climb away from the ground. Also, the word rotate is easy to say and doesn't sound like anything else, therefore can't be misconstrued as any other command.
Rotate sounds like lots of other words like "negate","mandate" etc so that makes no sense to me. "Pull Back" still makes more sense. Rotate is two syllables and pull back is two words so pretty equivalent to me.

Ok so you "rotate" the main gear. Yes I think I need to find some diagrams on this one.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

A little wiki...

Rotation is a flight concept which is integral to the design of many tricycle gear aircraft and is not applicable to conventional gear aircraft. At the design phase in tricycle gear aircraft there is a selection of the on ground angle of attack of the wing. This angle is created in the mains and nose gear leg length design which creates a negative angle of attack relative to the ground. The effect of this is that during the takeoff roll the wing will have negative lift until the pilot commands the nose skyward to create a positive angle of attack of the wing. At the end of the flight the concept is reversed where at touchdown all tires touch the runway and the wing is instantly moved to a negative angle of attack which causes the wing to stop lifting. At one time Cessna Aircraft featured this idea as "Land O Matic" so noted on all of their tricycle gear aircraft.

When you look at it in the context of the physics of flight, it may help you to understand the terminology.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

taildraggin68 wrote:A little wiki...

Rotation is a flight concept which is integral to the design of many tricycle gear aircraft and is not applicable to conventional gear aircraft. At the design phase in tricycle gear aircraft there is a selection of the on ground angle of attack of the wing. This angle is created in the mains and nose gear leg length design which creates a negative angle of attack relative to the ground. The effect of this is that during the takeoff roll the wing will have negative lift until the pilot commands the nose skyward to create a positive angle of attack of the wing. At the end of the flight the concept is reversed where at touchdown all tires touch the runway and the wing is instantly moved to a negative angle of attack which causes the wing to stop lifting. At one time Cessna Aircraft featured this idea as "Land O Matic" so noted on all of their tricycle gear aircraft.

When you look at it in the context of the physics of flight, it may help you to understand the terminology.
Hi there,
Waaaaaaay ahead of you. I looked at all that first before posting :)

iflyc77
Senior Airman

Post by iflyc77 »

Depending on the airplane and situation you may be 'pulling back' just to manage weight on the nose wheel far before you actually want to rotate.

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

Because, as Traildraggin explained earlier, what you want to do is to rotate the aircraft to get lift and, for that, you pull back the control. To rotate is the goal, pull back is the means. In an automatic take off, you woulnd't pull back anything but the A/p would rotate the aircraft all the same.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Dominique wrote:Because, as Traildraggin explained earlier, what you want to do is to rotate the aircraft to get lift and, for that, you pull back the control. To rotate is the goal, pull back is the means. In an automatic take off, you woulnd't pull back anything but the A/p would rotate the aircraft all the same.
I would say "lift" is the goal and "pull back" is the means. Then it makes sense. In automatic take off the autopilot "pulls back" so it is still pull back :)

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

My initial thought on the term 'Rotate' was maybe it had something to do with the Aircraft 'rotating' around its central axis as the nose lifts and the tail drops.

(I have been known to shout it out loud after a bad golf shot too! "ffs! Rotate!") :mrgreen:
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

G-BJPS wrote:My initial thought on the term 'Rotate' was maybe it had something to do with the Aircraft 'rotating' around its central axis as the nose lifts and the tail drops.

(I have been known to shout it out loud after a bad golf shot too! "ffs! Rotate!") :mrgreen:
When I first heard the term "rotate" this is what I thought too. Also depends which axis as it could mean a bank. :)
Either way, it should still be "pull back" as it makes far more sense :)

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Styggron wrote:
G-BJPS wrote:My initial thought on the term 'Rotate' was maybe it had something to do with the Aircraft 'rotating' around its central axis as the nose lifts and the tail drops.

When I first heard the term "rotate" this is what I thought too. Also depends which axis as it could mean a bank. :)
Yeah that would be the central axis as viewing the aircraft side on at take off. At least the way I visualise it in my head anyway.

It's interesting to hear the real reason why though as Scott (Taildraggin) posted, and makes sense.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

G-BJPS wrote:
Styggron wrote:

Yeah that would be the central axis as viewing the aircraft side on at take off. At least the way I visualise it in my head anyway.

It's interesting to hear the real reason why though as Scott (Taildraggin) posted, and makes sense.
Yes I read that reason before creating the thread. I still say it should be "pull back" and henceforth, it shall be :)

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

There you are then.

Or maybe 'Pull Up!' But that's usually Bitchin' Betty's job :mrgreen:

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

G-BJPS wrote:There you are then.

Or maybe 'Pull Up!' But that's usually Bitchin' Betty's job :mrgreen:
I shall use search and replace to remove, on all documentation I have, references to "rotate" and make it to what it should be, "pull back"

:lol:

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Styggron,

you might want to get one of these: http://signaturetshirts.ecrater.com/p/4 ... stitute-my
:mrgreen: :D
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”