P3D 4.2 ATC window greyed out, possible solution

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

P3D 4.2 ATC window greyed out, possible solution

Post by TBryson2 »

There seems to be an (intermittent) problem with the ATC window in P3D 4.2 where it greys out and you cannot select any of the options. I've done some digging around and there is a lot of activity concerning this. From what I read, there is a fix in the next update to address this. In the mean time,

Some solutions have you recreate the Prepar3D.cfg file, others state it's the default flight that is the issue, others state it's a carry over from 4.1

My solution was to simply go into the aircraft "failures" and reset them. That seems to work and it's quick and simple.

In the top bar, go to "Vehicle/Failures" Then in "failure category" select "Radios". Then simply click on "Reset All", then "OK".

I was able to recover from this instantly. Hope it works for you!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Re: P3D 4.2 ATC window greyed out, possible solution

Post by OGfishm0nger »

Thanks for this. I'll give your solution a try next time the issue pops up. I've been using the "default flight" solution which has seemed to work for me, but is annoying and needs to be re-done on occasion. Hoping that fix comes soon.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Thanks for posting this!

I can't remember but this bug may go back to FSX days too...I just can't remember. I also use the default ATC alot like you, and have noticed this issue. In the past just switching frequencies would fix it but after 4.1 this work around stopped working. I will give this a try next time I encounter the bug.

If you are interested since you use the default ATC too, I found a really good and simple add-on to enhance the ATC. It can make the ATC speak faster (more realistic) as well as update phrases such as the new "Taxi into position and hold" phrases, as well as airport fixes etc.
You can actually piece together phrases to make a new airport name example: instead of the ATC saying "Mike 28 traffic" (M28) you can actually set it up to say to say the airport name such as "xxx county"

It's called EditVoicePack, I like it anyway and it seems non-intrusive and has un-install options too. I coupled this with hiding the ATC log's option in the main menu, and it has really enhanced the realism of the ATC for me, as I can no longer cheat and look at what they said I have to be actively listening. Some day I might create a little guide about it.
Last edited by crippy on 29 Mar 2018, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Hey Crippy, thanks for the reply!

Ive used EditVoicePack for years, and (until you mentioned it) forgot to update my P3D! Thanks for the reminder!

I’ve actually contributed to EditVoicePack by “fixing” a lot of the airports in the central Florida area. Gosh, I think I updated about a dozen airports, but it’s been years!

The only thing you can’t correct is the AWOS. But it’s still cool (and correct) to hear other pilots using the correct phraseology.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

DatDudeMIC
Senior Airman

Post by DatDudeMIC »

Having the same issues since upgrading to V4.2. I still have the install files for 4.1. Might just downgrade until the issue is fixed.
Keep The Blue Side Up,

Micah H.

FlameOut
Staff Sergeant

Post by FlameOut »

Renaming the P3D cfg. text file and letting it rebuild did the trick for me.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Interesting topic and thanks for posting your findings. I have had issue only one time, tried what you mentioned above, kept digging into the net, and redoing the default flight was the trick that got me back in business. If it happens again I will give failures a go.

Along with the ATC window saying Radios Failed I'm having another issue with it. Sense 4.2 I now need to mouse click the option I want instead of hitting the appropriate key. This is frustrating sense my third arm and hand are currently in for repair :wink: and then there is the need to keep the ATC window open at all times. I hope the fix includes this issue as well.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I tried all of the mentioned “fixes” without success and ATC started working one day for unknown reasons.

Then I remembered that you can have failures, and even though no “failures” were set (or indicated) after resetting them my ATC worked (without having to restart scenario or simulator).

I can’t claim this will resolve everyones issue, but it worked for me! :D

Good luck!
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes active failures using the sims default system can causes a PITA sometimes as they seem to turn on every so often without doing anything,

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”