Loaded question for Scott Gentile

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Scott,

I know this is probably unfair to ask, but if you had to do it all over again and money was not a consideration, would you opt for a Bonanza over a Comanche, having now flown them both?

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Re: Loaded question for Scott Gentile

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Hobart,

While not “the Scott” - my two cents - first thing that comes to mind is - visibility - the big bubble canopy on Beech offers fantastic views and vistas - very open feeling - while in the Comanche I feel like I’m looking out peep holes in a tank or something - a bit restrictive - at 6’5” I’m also hitting my head in the Comanche...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

Hobart Escin wrote:Scott,

I know this is probably unfair to ask, but if you had to do it all over again and money was not a consideration, would you opt for a Bonanza over a Comanche, having now flown them both?
Scott’s comment in this thread might give you a little insight...

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=65258

:wink:

Paul

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I have to say that I agree I like the Comanche better. The bonanza has more features than the Comanche cuz it’s newer but I have to say I prefer the Comanche. I’m not a fan of the Dutch roll.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Here we are pondering all this whilst the Great Scott is no doubt spending most of his time rocketing around in a suped-up Aerostar (sigh). Single engine GA must seem so bourgeois at this point. :wink:

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Hobart,

While not “the Scott” - my two cents - first thing that comes to mind is - visibility - the big bubble canopy on Beech offers fantastic views and vistas - very open feeling - while in the Comanche I feel like I’m looking out peep holes in a tank or something - a bit restrictive - at 6’5” I’m also hitting my head in the Comanche...

Regards,
Scott

Hello Other Scott,

It could be worse, you could be short, even if you did fit better! :lol:

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

scottb613 wrote:while in the Comanche I feel like I’m looking out peep holes in a tank or something - a bit restrictive - at 6’5” I’m also hitting my head in the Comanche...

Regards,
Scott
Scott, as a fellow 6' 5"'er, I have a hard time getting comfortable in 172's and Cherokee's; is the Bonanza that much larger? I'd love to have something as comfortable as my truck!

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Chunk wrote:
scottb613 wrote:while in the Comanche I feel like I’m looking out peep holes in a tank or something - a bit restrictive - at 6’5” I’m also hitting my head in the Comanche...

Regards,
Scott
Scott, as a fellow 6' 5"'er, I have a hard time getting comfortable in 172's and Cherokee's; is the Bonanza that much larger? I'd love to have something as comfortable as my truck!
Hi Hobart,

LOL...

Hi Chuck,

Hah - I hear ya brah - LOL - I learned in a c172 and I could never go back... Most of my flying buddies fly Comanche’s and love them dearly - none are in our height range though... I’ve had a couple rides in an F33 and operated the controls a bit - so I am familiar... I wound up purchasing a Beech Sundowner which is similar inside - it’s a bit slower than the competition - but the cockpit is 2” wider than a Bonanza or Baron - which is the main reason it’s relatively slow... It’s snappy on the controls and a pure dream to fly... Comparing it to a C172 in flight - it feels like a little airliner... It has a spacious cockpit that is probably the most comfortable and roomy I’ve ever been in - by far... I don’t hit my head - well - umm - unless it’s really bumpy - then ouch...

As much as I love my Sundowner - lately I’ve been contemplating a Beech Sierra - same cockpit and airframe - retracts - constant speed prop - plus 25 to 30 KTAS - plus 135 lbs useful - plus 150 miles further range - plus the massive barn door for the baggage compartment. Because they are also a tad slower than other 200HP in their class - people tend to look down on them therefore they are priced much more reasonably than a full Bonanza.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by scottb613 on 26 Sep 2018, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Thanks for the reply Scott!

Your Sundowner looks fantastic, and now you’ve got me looking at Sierra’s!

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Chunk wrote:Thanks for the reply Scott!

Your Sundowner looks fantastic, and now you’ve got me looking at Sierra’s!
Hi Chuck,

Any questions pop up - just email me - same as my account here except on yahoo.com. I’m pretty well versed in “Baby Beech’s” - and if I don’t have an answer I am in contact with the people that do... Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Love the picts of your Sundowner Scott, thanks for posting.

Hobart, I can't say enough that the Bonanza just feels like a Warbird. It's actually quite big compared to a Comanche (600lbs heavier), it rumbles and can bite the same in slow flight. However, it's actually less stable in the yaw axis than say, a Spitfire. If you kick the rudder in a Spitfire, the nose comes back like the Comanche.

If you just replace the tail on the Bonanza, and turn it into a Debonair, it becomes rock solid. So the question is, for me, 52 years old with a family and a need to get places for business. There is a difference between someone like me, and say a full time professional pilot who flies daily. My profession is flight simulation. This is my main job, so I'm similar to the doctor or lawyer of yesterday where we learned some tough lessons about flight safety from. For my day to day business needs, I need a solid, safe, fast and stable platform. The Comanche is a perfect fit.

For me, the V-tail is a fun airplane to go up in, like a sports plane, Warbird, etc. The last time I flew a v-tail, on my downwind leg I thought "This v-tail is giving me the same fun that I had in the T-6 Texan." I don't get that same type of fun in the Comanche. It's stable, secure, more refined, etc.

So if you want something that is exciting to fly once in a while, the Bonanza delivers. If you want something for business, the Comanche delivers.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Scott - A2A wrote: Scott.
Hi Scott,

My buddies “dragged me” - lol - to a Comanche fly-in down at Sky Manor (N40) a few weeks ago - had an eye out for your little green and white rocket we all know so well - mentioned your 8 cylinder beast to a few - just curious - are you doing a restoration on it ?

Side note - met a really nice couple from KMGJ that have flown their Comanche completely around the world... They had some stories to tell...

It’s a great little airport with a good place to eat if you haven’t been...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I think the A36 Bonanza is the best of both worlds. You have some of the cargo flexibility and stability of the Comanche, yet you also have the build quality and some of the fun handling of the Bo. I think thats why the G36 is the only Bonanza type still in production, that airframe is ultimately the ideal Bonanza with its improved CG and stability.

Both are great planes, I am very happy I got my HP sign off in a Comanche. By the time I felt competent flying the Comanche, I truly felt like I had become a pilot. Even after many hours in 172s and had only dual time in twins at that point. After flying the Comanche I felt comfortable and confident taking up passengers and such...not complacent of course. A Comanche, even more a Bo, will not let you get complacent, and those planes will remind you and highlight your 'areas of improvement' in a hurry...often embarrassingly

Nice Sundowner pics there Scottb! I did a lot of my multi work in the Duchess which is essentially the same airframe, and thought it a more comfortable airplane, not to mention more pilot friendly than the Seminole. Doors on BOTH sides! How about that! I love the trailing link landing gear too...it makes your landings feel better than they actually are. :D

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

rhyslegge
Airman

Post by rhyslegge »

scottb613 wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote: Scott.
Hi Scott,

My buddies “dragged me” - lol - to a Comanche fly-in down at Sky Manor (N40) a few weeks ago - had an eye out for your little green and white rocket we all know so well - mentioned your 8 cylinder beast to a few - just curious - are you doing a restoration on it ?

Side note - met a really nice couple from KMGJ that have flown their Comanche completely around the world... They had some stories to tell...

It’s a great little airport with a good place to eat if you haven’t been...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first time I saw that view of N40 (Sky Manor) I was getting my private out of KPNE, landing a Grumman trainer with 20 knot crosswind! I failed miserably. Went back a few years later in an Archer to pick up a family friend and that tiny runway was still a challenge. Hopefully one day i'll get to do it in a Bonanza.

-Rhys

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

pilottj wrote: TJ
Hi TJ,

Thanks - yeah - I like the Baby Beech’s pretty well - I see how it breeds brand loyalty - LOL - my lottery plane would probably be a new Baron...

The two doors are pretty important to me - it’s nice to be able to get out of a plane when you need to - I have three means of egress and I’m quite conscious of them all when thinking through contingencies for emergencies... My parents lost a friend and the husband was badly burned in that Socata Tobago crash on Long Island a few years back... Survivable crash but the fire got them...

Duchess eh - very cool - wish I could afford the care and feeding of two mills - but - honestly - one is scary enough... It’s also pretty difficult to find one that hasn’t been rung out by the flight schools...

Have a good day...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by scottb613 on 28 Sep 2018, 06:36, edited 2 times in total.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”