Because its 2019 and all that... I learnt stellar navigation

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Because its 2019 and all that... I learnt stellar navigation

Post by Hook »

Stearmandriver wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 05:25 Yeah, but it's HF. HF radio sucks. The plus is, it'll skip through the ionosphere and permit beyond-line-of-sight range, but the minus is, the signal clarity varies drastically based on solar and atmospheric conditions.
I used to listen to shortwave. It only sucks a little. :lol: I never was able to pick up Tahiti.

I can only watch the videos between midnight and 5 AM when my satellite Internet bandwidth isn't metered. You can go through 25 gig in a hurry watching videos, especially if they need to be at least 720.

Looking forward to the rest of the trip, and I'll check out your other videos as well.

Hook

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

So I got tired of only thinking I knew how this stuff works and decided I ought to try it for real :mrgreen: . Celestaire had a sale on the Davis Mark 3 plastic sextant; for 35 bucks I thought "what the hell?"

It's been a lot of fun studying the details of the theory, and then all the minutiae of the sight reduction process. (I'll be honest, I only did a few by hand and table, and am using an online calculator now to speed up the process so I can plot my practice shots. There's nothing harder than addition or subtraction to using the tables, it's just tedious.)

I found it fascinating that, using an assumed position and the intercept method, I'm plotting LOPs in Google Earth exactly the same as I have for my simulated flights. It feels very familiar! The sightlines of my backyard (and the need to use a bowl of water as an artificial horizon which limits the max altitude of a shot) means I've had limited targets to practice on; mostly the sun, Vega and Spica. Looking forward to the moon's return too.

But with a cheap plastic sextant, a couple stars reflected in a bowl of water, and some math, I'm consistently fixing my position within 4 miles of home. I'll take it!

Chairman
Airman

Post by Chairman »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the coincidence is too good ... I just finished watching that video on youtube - yes, the whole thing :D :D - and now I'm looking for the sextant (which I had but never got into with fsx) and googling about whether it will work in P3D - and this thread was the first result google gave me :)

I think I'm on the right track :)

I live in New Zealand so there's not much danger of running out of radio signals or even being able to see a coastline when I'm at home, but I'm really getting into the older planes now and I want to stretch the wings of the Connie and the DC6, so navigation becomes a thing ...
Last edited by Chairman on 10 Jan 2021, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Well done mate. Welcome to the facinating world of navigation by the stars.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”