A2A Development Update May 2019

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: A2A Development Update May 2019

Post by DHenriques_ »

Rarebear wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 08:14 The only thing I do wish to express that I feel A2A is missing and many other developers alike is that the ground handling especially for tailwheel aircraft is not true to its real life counterparts, and I do not mean turn radius and making sure the taxiing feels real. I mean when you put the throttle up and you're on takeoff or you do a wheel landing and run it through the length of a runway to learn the aircraft as you do in real life the handling is pretty much dead. You can comfortably place your feet on the rudder and just maintain a certain amount of pressure and it will track straight, you can violently hit the rudders and it just has an anemic response so much so that there is no reason for alarm Even in the t6 and that aircraft is not for being a tough taiwheel aircraft. . From my own experience tailwheels like to swing that tail around, any change in power or pitch changes the direction where that nose wants to point and changes the direction accordingly not only that but the tail begins to swing and we all know where that takes us too. hehehe I think this is the last standing obstacle for A2A. I desire to use my rudders, and use them as in real life.

that being said. I am super excited for what is to come.

JDW
You must have something not working correctly to get this behavior. The ground handling on our aircraft is the most realistic I have ever seen on simulation aircraft. The amount of work we put into getting it that way was unbelievable, especially on the P51.
Something isn't right if you are getting bad ground handling.
D Henriques

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 26 May 2019, 07:55
CAPFlyer wrote: 24 May 2019, 07:48 That's the point of Draco. It is crazy. Mike built it just to be crazy. There is a thing not just in aviation but in industry that sometimes it's cool just to do it to prove it can be done.
This is EXACTLY why the Patey's did Draco. It was a pure and open demonstration of their unbelievable engineering and fabrication skills AND to bring a HUGE spotlight on their company BEST TUGS.
The twins are super talented at literally everything they do and they have been highly successful. They have the money and the talent to do these things and they get a huge kick out of doing it as well. In all the years I've been in aviation I can't remember seeing two people who have gotten more sheer fun out of aviation than the Patey's. Kermit would come close but not even he compares to these guys. They have coupled fun with sound business sense. Everything they do brings attention to their business. It's the perfect marketing plan, even though it just happens to work out that way.
The Patey brothers are all about enjoying aviation and sharing what they do with everybody.
Draco is a magnificent achievement. The plane has won awards galore everywhere it goes and will no doubt continue doing so.
Now the guys have embarked on their newest "adventure". They will be building a "Cub" from spare parts found in a junk yard. I have no doubt at all that when they get finished doing it, that "Cub" will be something to behold.
Dudley Henriques
Just seen this video by Mike Patey:

https://youtu.be/NfctWAoDXvs

Thankfully Mike and his wife are unhurt but sad news about Draco. I've enjoyed Mike's videos since becoming aware of his channel, but this one not so much for obvious reasons. However, it's a very honest account of what happened. Hopefully he'll be back with an even crazier Draco II.

Stay safe all you real world flyers.
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Didn't the Pateys race Lancair Legacys way back?
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ron Attwood wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 06:32 Didn't the Pateys race Lancair Legacys way back?
Yes they did.

Indeed sad news about Draco but glad everyone is ok. And a very honest Mike Patey about what happened. That’s very refreshing.

Happy flying everyone
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I remember now doing a paint it for Realair's Legacy. N913MP I think.

Enough of this thread hijacking. Sorry.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

I think they (both twins had an aircraft) beat the speed record set by Howard Hughes for a coast to coast flight in a piston powered aircraft...

Not too shabby...
Mike had a twin turbo Continental TIO-550 six-cylinder engine in his Legacy, and Mark had a twin turbo Lycoming TIO-580 six-cylinder engine in his. They were racing in the Sport Air Racing League when they decided to attempt to set some world records.

Howard Hughes set the transcontinental world speed record for the fastest single-engine internal combustion aircraft in 1937, crossing the country in seven hours and 28 minutes. Records stand for both eastbound and westbound routes, and the faster, more coveted eastbound route has a northern and southern route.

“You only get a certain window to break the record, and we were trying to wait for good tailwinds,” Mark said.

A crosswind from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico prevailed as they got closer to the record attempt date. The brothers decided to stamp their name on the record by flying without a tailwind and attempting both the east to west routes to really knock it out of the ballpark.

They left San Diego on March 10, 2011, flying wingtip to wingtip until landing to refuel in Texas. Mike then flew to Charleston, South Carolina, to set the northern route record while Mark flew to Jacksonville, Florida, and set the southern record, both in just more than six hours. The following day, Mike flew from Jacksonville to San Diego in just more than eight and a half hours to set the west route record.

“It’s a big deal, but everyone will always wonder when someone breaks a record how strong their tailwind was,” Mark said.

They had a 7-knot crosswind average both directions. At the awards ceremony, the brothers received a standing ovation for their achievement.
Regards,
Scott

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 08:38
Rarebear wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 08:14 The only thing I do wish to express that I feel A2A is missing and many other developers alike is that the ground handling especially for tailwheel aircraft is not true to its real life counterparts, and I do not mean turn radius and making sure the taxiing feels real. I mean when you put the throttle up and you're on takeoff or you do a wheel landing and run it through the length of a runway to learn the aircraft as you do in real life the handling is pretty much dead. You can comfortably place your feet on the rudder and just maintain a certain amount of pressure and it will track straight, you can violently hit the rudders and it just has an anemic response so much so that there is no reason for alarm Even in the t6 and that aircraft is not for being a tough taiwheel aircraft. . From my own experience tailwheels like to swing that tail around, any change in power or pitch changes the direction where that nose wants to point and changes the direction accordingly not only that but the tail begins to swing and we all know where that takes us too. hehehe I think this is the last standing obstacle for A2A. I desire to use my rudders, and use them as in real life.

that being said. I am super excited for what is to come.

JDW
You must have something not working correctly to get this behavior. The ground handling on our aircraft is the most realistic I have ever seen on simulation aircraft. The amount of work we put into getting it that way was unbelievable, especially on the P51.
D Henriques
I wish I had some setting wrong. Unless there is some magic switch in the A2A modules I haven't found then I can not see where the amazing ground handling is. The tires do not bite the asphalt, the tail does not swing. I haven't done a single ground loop in the At6. I think Xplane has better Ground handling characteristics and I actually like flying DCS for their tail-wheel characteristics.

Maybe for a sim its ok, but I definitely would not call it the most realistic ground handling out there. If I am missing something I would be more than happy to be proven wrong and be told where my settings are wonky, but I highly doubt it.

JDW

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Rarebear wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 17:59
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 08:38 You must have something not working correctly to get this behavior. The ground handling on our aircraft is the most realistic I have ever seen on simulation aircraft. The amount of work we put into getting it that way was unbelievable, especially on the P51.
D Henriques
I wish I had some setting wrong. Unless there is some magic switch in the A2A modules I haven't found then I can not see where the amazing ground handling is. The tires do not bite the asphalt, the tail does not swing. I haven't done a single ground loop in the At6. I think Xplane has better Ground handling characteristics and I actually like flying DCS for their tail-wheel characteristics.

Maybe for a sim its ok, but I definitely would not call it the most realistic ground handling out there. If I am missing something I would be more than happy to be proven wrong and be told where my settings are wonky, but I highly doubt it.
I'm completely with Dudley on this...my A2A T-6 whether on the ground or in the air behaves EXACTLY like all of the Harvards I've flown IRL in the distant past. If there's nothing wrong with your settings or system, then it appears that the only other possible answer is that you are just the world's best pilot...... :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

It has been almost 8 months since this development update. Any chance on getting another one to see what has been happening over the past 8 months?

TALLY
Airman Basic

Post by TALLY »

I noticed you have the T-6A model. The Navy uses the T-6B model with 3-MFDs for instrumentation. Are you created a B model. I don't know if the USAF is behind the navy on that or not.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

TALLY wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 19:23 I noticed you have the T-6A model. The Navy uses the T-6B model with 3-MFDs for instrumentation. Are you created a B model. I don't know if the USAF is behind the navy on that or not.
Yes we have both an A and B model.

As for updates, the engine was just hung on our Aerostar. Once this is flying we can begin Accu-Sim testing.

BTW we enabled attachments for the forums. The picts below were just uploaded to this post.

aerostar_1.jpg
aerostar_1.jpg (369.54 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Aerostar_2.jpg
Aerostar_2.jpg (409.51 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Not quite the update I was hoping for..
It's been a year since the start of this thread, any developments?
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I know :a2a: has good access ta the Aerostar, but I’m still hoping for a twin trainer....I believe a Seminole has been mentioned in the past??
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

mrjp990
Airman

Post by mrjp990 »

Cant wait to see what the maintenance hangars look like for the new B-17 and the Texan II!

mrjp990
Airman

Post by mrjp990 »

Scott - A2A wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 05:46
TALLY wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 19:23 I noticed you have the T-6A model. The Navy uses the T-6B model with 3-MFDs for instrumentation. Are you created a B model. I don't know if the USAF is behind the navy on that or not.
Yes we have both an A and B model.

As for updates, the engine was just hung on our Aerostar. Once this is flying we can begin Accu-Sim testing.

BTW we enabled attachments for the forums. The picts below were just uploaded to this post.

aerostar_1.jpg

Aerostar_2.jpg

Scott.

Will the aerostar have autopilot? If so, how will it behave? Will it work like the A/P in the Cessna 172/182 or will it be more involved like the Texan or the Bonanza/Commanche/Cherokee?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”