Thinking about p3dv5

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Thinking about p3dv5

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hi Hook. Thanks for your concern mate.

Yeah. Turning off Enhanced Atmospherics cured one problem, then turning off Dynamic Reflections improved, but not entirely fixed the other. Things worked just fine before so what have they 'improved' to mess it up now.

I did not know about that once only refund policy but it should not be a problem. I've never had one before with v2, 3 or 4. I went Pro again with v5 and it's a lot of money to spend and not be happy with it. Guess I'll make damn sure before spending on Pro again.

"Turn down your sliders". Yeah sounds simple doesn't it. But with all due respect why should I. They were just fine in v4 and before anyone starts, they were not flat out then. Finally I have a system that can cope. This new sim is supposed to be all singing, all dancing, more efficient and greatly improved over the last one, isn't it? No, having to reduce or compromise even further is not an option IMO.

All these different problems for different people suggest to me a rushed and not fully tested product release. You could almost compare it with, an Alpha at worst or an early access Beta release at best.

Anyway enough for now. v4 works and looks great. Even the metallic skins. No need to jump on the bandwagon with this release. I'll keep my eyes open for better things, v6 perhaps. IT'LL BE GREAT, YES?

Peace everyone.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Well, some version of v5 should be pretty good. :D

Enhanced Atmospherics is listed as a beta, but considering the current state it's really an alpha. This is not really a problem, but for some it will be. As for what they improved, it looks like DX12.

The three biggest draws for v5 are the Enhanced Atmospherics, the new water, and improved performance. I would have EA turned off for many reasons, I don't care about the waves, and is the performance improvement worth $200? If v4 didn't work for me, I'd definitely be looking at v5, but right now v4 is stable and mature. Active Sky works very well. And I *really* like Active Sky Cloud Art.

When you consider that MSFS is right around the corner, how do you decide? MSFS isn't going to be perfect, we'll be starting from scratch on everything, but it holds some incredible promise. EA does as well, so add that to your decision process. But P3Dv5 doesn't give you the entire world in satellite imagery, massaged by an AI, with appropriate 3D buildings and vegetation, all the way down to grass if you're low enough. Maybe in P3Dv6. :) MSFS won't immediately give you the aircraft you prefer to fly. There may be other things missing but it's impossible to predict at the present time.

Whether to buy P3Dv5 is up to individual choice, and for some it's working very well. Unfortunately, not for everyone.

Hook

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hook wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:03 Well, some version of v5 should be pretty good. :D
That's the theory
Hook wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:03 Enhanced Atmospherics is listed as a beta, but considering the current state it's really an alpha. This is not really a problem, but for some it will be. As for what they improved, it looks like DX12.
Supposedly
Hook wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:03 The three biggest draws for v5 are the Enhanced Atmospherics, the new water, and improved performance. I would have EA turned off for many reasons, I don't care about the waves, and is the performance improvement worth $200? If v4 didn't work for me, I'd definitely be looking at v5, but right now v4 is stable and mature. Active Sky works very well. And I *really* like Active Sky Cloud Art.
For me too. I also use Active Sky and Cloud Art.
Hook wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:03 When you consider that MSFS is right around the corner, how do you decide? MSFS isn't going to be perfect, we'll be starting from scratch on everything, but it holds some incredible promise. EA does as well, so add that to your decision process. But P3Dv5 doesn't give you the entire world in satellite imagery, massaged by an AI, with appropriate 3D buildings and vegetation, all the way down to grass if you're low enough. Maybe in P3Dv6. :) MSFS won't immediately give you the aircraft you prefer to fly. There may be other things missing but it's impossible to predict at the present time.
Realistically, nothing will ever be real.
Hook wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:03 Whether to buy P3Dv5 is up to individual choice, and for some it's working very well. Unfortunately, not for everyone.
Now this is the truth, a fact which is lost on some.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Just a note to say that once again, I have P3d V5 and so far, using up to 4.6GB of G-RAM and no sign of the DXGI error. Similar settings as before, with enhanced atmospherics, dynamic lighting and reflections on. Hopefully LM have worked some magic on the code and all will now be fine.

Still experimenting with Envtex/Envshade...

Thanks Rob, for the inspiration. :mrgreen:

Steve.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful pic!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 07:07
n421nj wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 23:14
Ron Attwood wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 19:45 What exactly do you mean by 'performance'? My guess would 'FPS' right? FPS is not a measure of 'performance'. Look out of the side window and ask yourself, is what I'm seeing passing under my wing smooth. If that's what you're aiming for then P3Dv5 avec hot fixes is for you. No question.
So go get it and turn off your frame counter. Nothing more distracting than watching FPS on short final.
By performance I’m referring to smoothness. I could care less about frames however there is a strong correlation between frames and smoothness and thus immersion. I fly out of KCDW in real life and in the sim if weather is IFR then my sim doesn’t run as nice as when I’m say 6,000 feet up. Makes practicing for my IFR rating very frustrating.
Excellent. Then you'll be more than happy with v5
I'm running v.5 with the update. I have both MS2020 and P3D. I chose P3D as my go to sim to be able to run run my A2A aircraft. I have no issues at all as of this writing and so far I am very pleased with P3D overall.
Dudley Henriques

captpopup
Airman

Post by captpopup »

Ok... so I thought about P3Dv5 and now I've taken the plunge... but it would seem that I have lost all my A2A aircraft for the new sim plus other add-ons. I have been away from flight sim for almost two years, I was completely disillusioned with the return of MSFS and what that would mean for me being a P3D user now plus the constant need to update sims and add-ons finally wore me down. I remember all that I lost when they left the scene in the first instance (I have actually bought the PMDG 737 three times). I don't have a lot of money now that I'm retired and I will not be making the switch back to MSFS. So here is my problem... I cant find the company that I bought my A2A aircraft from! I thought I had purchased one of them from A2A store... but I have followed the instructions to re-register and nothing shows on past account/purchases. I think I bought from FSPilot or FlightSimStore but they no longer exist it would seem and although I have checked with every other online store that I can gain access to and have used in the past, I find nothing. I still have backups of the zip files of my aircraft (Comanche, C172, C182) and I suppose I could use them with P3D v4 but I did check to see if my add-ons were compatible with P3D v5 before I purchased it and saw that a new free installer was all that was required... but I can't get it. I keep records of all my serial numbers and keys but I have none for my A2A aircraft because they were not needed, access to the download was the authentification. My only proof of purchase now seems to be the files I have on my computer, my repaints that show I've had them and a composite picture showing all my GA aircraft in a hanger as my background picture on my phone. So my questions are... have I lost them for P3Dv5 (in which case I have just wasted my money there), should I try to install from my existing zip files or is that folly, is there anything I could do to prove purchase of these products or should I just drift off into the sunset :lol:

Ray

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Ray.
PM Lewis with your present email and any previous emails , stating your issue , so he can check A2A records , incase you used a different email when purchasing .
Also check your past emails for any purchasing of your aircraft , i always keep any purchasing emails for this reason .
regards alan. 8)

captpopup
Airman

Post by captpopup »

Ok... Thank you Alan

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”