Thinking about p3dv5

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Thinking about p3dv5

Post by Ron Attwood »

Happy to help. :D
Don't you hate it when supermarket staff wear that slogan but look anything but?
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 11:59 Happy to help. :D
Don't you hate it when supermarket staff wear that slogan but look anything but?
:mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

So, speaking of "helpful", this has been a very interesting experiment.

Thanks for the feedback, all! The upgrade to v5 has made previously unflyable densely populated areas accessible for sightseeing purposes, so I'm calling the experiment a complete success in my case!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Guess I gotta make the purchase....
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:04 So, speaking of "helpful", this has been a very interesting experiment.

Thanks for the feedback, all! The upgrade to v5 has made previously unflyable densely populated areas accessible for sightseeing purposes, so I'm calling the experiment a complete success in my case!

Cheers,
Rob
Yay! :D

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Well. Unless I can stop this happening every time I use a complex aircraft I will be getting a refund.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

You may have to throttle back on a setting. I'll bet it's just one notch too much on one slider. I used to have them but it was usually when I tried to do too many 'tasks' at the same time. One other thing, do you have nvidea's latest drivers? 451.48

EDIT: Which is more or less what you've been told in the other thread. What is not appreciated generally is that there is a load more 'stuff' in v5 and you don't need to crank your system up to full bore. Having said that, it's natural to want to do so.

Ron out. :D

socalf1fan
Airman

Post by socalf1fan »

Also have to remember, along with being realistic with the settings (unlike everyone in v4 just mashing full right on all sliders and the driver then holding your hand) that it could quite possibly the add in aircraft that could be poorly optimized.

With the new dx12 it is more important than ever for the add on developers to devote real time to optimization. We don’t need 4K toilet textures or 3D modeled hood ornaments on cars in the parking lot. I think everyone got a bit lazy and just overdid a lot of details that while sure it’s cool...do nothing to actually add to the products real usability.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

socalf1fan wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 16:14 Also have to remember, along with being realistic with the settings (unlike everyone in v4 just mashing full right on all sliders and the driver then holding your hand) that it could quite possibly the add in aircraft that could be poorly optimized.

With the new dx12 it is more important than ever for the add on developers to devote real time to optimization. We don’t need 4K toilet textures or 3D modeled hood ornaments on cars in the parking lot. I think everyone got a bit lazy and just overdid a lot of details that while sure it’s cool...do nothing to actually add to the products real usability.
You want to be careful mate. Talking sense could get you in a heap of trouble. :D

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Looks to me like we are going backwards, to the days when you basically needed a Cray to get the best out of FSX in the early days. Sad.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Looks to as though the same mindset persists today. This compulsion to get more than is there. What I mean by that is; There is a texture. Once you can see all that that texture provides, no amount of tweaking, overclocking or mashing sliders to the right will make that texture give any more.I started simming with FSX so I can't comment about previous iterations, but I wouldn't mind betting it was the same back then. I guarantee it will happen with MSFS as well. :D

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

My mindset is firmly fixed in reality thank you very much and is fully aware of the limitations of sims, textures and hardware. Unfortunately it looks as though I let myself get carried away by all the hype with this sim.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Well I'm glad to hear that those crashes weren't just AMD incompatibility on my system's part. It's been strangely inconsistent where I'll get those occasionally and then restart in the same area and be fine. In general though, I've gone from v4.5 being basically unflyable in very populous areas to being able to go sightseeing in the same areas with reasonable frame rates in v5.

In my case, and let me preface this by saying that I know nothing about computers, I'm guessing it has something to do with the apparent optimisation of v5 for an 8 core processor, which I ended up with last year kind of by accident. I bought a really basic machine that had a Ryzen 7 2700 processor and when I upgraded the video card a few months ago I was initially looking at the 2080ti until a buddy suggested looking at AMD's Radeon RX5700XT, as it is an 8 gb card that costs about a third of what the GeForce card costs. With the difference (sort of), I bought a 49" curved monitor and TrackIR, neither of which could I now do without, btw :mrgreen:

Anyway, the move to v5 has been really good for me and I feel that my off the cuff computer build has found its sweet spot with v5. I'm finding that the Orbx True Earth sceneries actually seem to run smoother than regular regional sceneries for some reason...I'm good with it though! I do find that when approaching highly populous areas, the sim will go through a few scenery load stutters, but then unlike v4.5 which would lose 5 or 10 fps when it came out of stutter mode, v5 comes back much stronger. Case in point was yesterday's flight from High River, AB CEN4 planned to Airdrie CEF4 via Springbank CYBW and Calgary with the Civ Mustang. About 15 minutes into the trip I had a huge stutter or three that turned into a crash. I saw that I wasn't too far from a private strip CEH2 when the sim crashed so decided to take another shot at it and loaded up there. From then on...and I did a stop and go at Airdrie and headed south back to High River...other than a few scenery load stutters, the frame rate hung in at mid 30s to mid 40 fps for the most part, with a slight drop to the mid 20s to mid 30s over the heart of the city. This area with v4.5 was marginal at Airdrie and low to mid double digit frames over Calgary, so I'm pretty pleased to finally be able to go fly around my place!

It seems almost as if the sim learns where it's at scenery-wise, so gets smoother with subsequent flights in the same area...does that even make sense or is it just my imagination?

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

The final straw for me has been that all my metal and chrome paints look crap with the current environment. Maybe they will change it maybe they won't, who knows. It's only been 3 days so there shouldn't be a problem with the refund. I'll keep my ears to the ground just in case they do something about it, or some tweaking software appears with some comprehensive tweaking abilities. :wink:

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

bladerunner: I assume you know to turn Enhanced Atmospherics off. Doing so may help several problems and should fix the error you mentioned.

Before you get a refund, consider that you can only get a refund once per license type. If you bought Academic and got a refund, you cannot get an Academic refund on that version of P3D in the future. They may eventually get v5 working to everyone's satisfaction so you have to think about what you will do then.

Now, how do we deal with the problem of some users having no problems and others being unable to use the sim? It's easy to point fingers and say "turn down your sliders" but that's not the only issue. Expect animosity and ill feelings.

I'm sorry you're having problems. Hope everything works out.

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”