Has anyone done a pre-purchase on the new Microsoft FS 2020?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Has anyone done a pre-purchase on the new Microsoft FS 2020?

Post by DHenriques_ »

If so, do you have to have a Microsoft account to make the pre-purchase or can it be done straight forward without going through all that security nightmare requiring codes sent to your cell phone?
Thanks
DH

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: Has anyone done a pre-purchase on the new Microsoft FS 2020?

Post by patful »

I bought it last week, but already had a Microsoft account from my purchase of Windows 10 or Office. I don't remember any problems with security codes when opening my original account. I made the purchase when logged in to Microsoft, then downloaded whatever installation files they deemed necessary through the Microsoft Store. Didn't even have to log in to the store since they only need the email address associated with the account. You do need to use the Microsoft Store for installation, I think. Not sure about Steam, never used it.
Last edited by patful on 10 Aug 2020, 19:50, edited 4 times in total.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Hi Dudley, I purchased it a few days ago and yes, I believe you need an account unfortunately. I know they are selling the cd’s in Europe as well but don’t believe that is available in North America...

Mike

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Hi Dudley,

Pre-purchased mine a couple weeks back. Yes, as others have said, you must have a Microsoft account. I have had mine since Windows 10 also. The biggest issue is that you need to pay up front. They will want your email address as well. I have PayPal so that was not a big issue. Here is a link directly to the Microsoft pre-order page.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/micros ... -simulator

One other point, I ordered mine from my PC, not the cell phone.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Thanks everybody. I "had" a Microsoft account years ago and had saved the user name and password but when I tried to get through the opening page to access my account they denied the access saying the data was incorrect.
THEN..........trying to get that straightened out I entered a virtual nightmare of security mess where they wanted to call me and give me a security code number which I allowed. The call came in. I noted the number, reentered the process and tried again by supplying the code requested. They again said no access.
What a mess !
I'll try resetting my password and give it another go. :-)
Also......is the pre-order a download or a disk set and is there an option? I'd like to have a set of disks if possible.
Sorry to sound so stupid. I've never seen it so hard to buy something LOL
DH

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

I purchased from Miscrosoft but had an account. BUT, I decided it was better to own the program through Steam since that would make placing the program on multiple computers infinitely simpler. So, I canceled the Microsoft purchase and went to Steam to buy it. Steam permits you to play the game on multiple computers without new codes, permissions, etc. Steam keeps track so you can only use one platform at a time. This is how I purchased FSX for my new laptop last year.

Microsoft will not charge your card until delivery. This made cancellation very simple. Steam, I believe, charges your card right away.

My advice is to purchase through Steam.

A box set is available in Europe only at this point. It is on ten discs but comes with a printed manual. Otherwise, it is a download. This is my take on the information offered on YouTube.

It's embarrassing how excited I am to get the new game. However, until I can fly an A2A aircraft in the new simulator I will still be hanging out in FSX (love my stable of aircraft).

Wayne

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I think I have it sorted out finally. I changed my password and now have access to my MS account.
One thing; I would like to obtain a complete disk set of the Premium Edition. Will this be available through the MS store if I wait a bit longer? I have a new computer coming with the help of a very good friend and right now I'm only using my IMac. Is it better to wait until I have the new PC set up and running before ordering the sim? Also I don't see an order option for the disk set. I'm assuming the only option now is the download. Is that correct?
I wouldn't want to download it on the Mac and have to transfer it over to the PC when it arrives.
In other words, am I doing this process right?
Thanks
DH

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

I did a quick Google search just now. The specs for FS2020 operating system only shows Windows 10. I did find a suggestion on how to run a windows program on a Mac, but the source was Quora so take it for what it might be worth. Running FS2020 on a Mac would probably be something of a jury rig, as far as I can tell.

I would wait (oh, so hard!) until the PC was up and running. Understand, I am not an expert so you may want to ask your friend who is building your system to look at the FS2020 specs chart for a definitive answer.

As for the discs, it might be good to recall that improvements will be coming fairly quickly. The disc set will not change and cannot be updated. My impression is that, because FS2020 is running off the cloud (or something like it) updates will be automatic. Still, I too belong to the school that wants to have a hard copy of things.

Keep researching, but this is my take on things. Dudley, your comments on this forum over the years have always added to my enjoyment of simming. I'm glad to hear you will be up and away with the new simulator.

Wayne

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

This web site

https://www.techspot.com/news/86020-box ... ip-10.html

sounds like Aerosoft is the supplier of the boxed sets, and it is available only in Europe. I think the article is quite helpful.

Wayne

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

wrkempson wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 19:33 This web site

https://www.techspot.com/news/86020-box ... ip-10.html

sounds like Aerosoft is the supplier of the boxed sets, and it is available only in Europe. I think the article is quite helpful.

Wayne
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to imply I would be using a Mac for the sim, only that I don't have the PC set up as yet so I would be downloading the sim on the Mac unless I wait until the PC has been set up and running.
I've decided to wait for the PC.
You make a VERY good point about the updates vs the disks. I'll get the download, and thanks for reminding me of the update factor.
Dudley

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Hi Dudley and others in this thread. Just a comment regarding having the disc’s. I run a regular backup of my system a minimum of three times a week, sometimes more if I’ve added things in between. The back up is to an external drive. I do this because about two years ago my hard drive crashed, causing the loss of an extreme amount of data. My point being, by doing this wouldn’t you actually be storing a fresh backup of MSFS, with any updates that are added as we use the simulator?

Just a thought/slash suggestion.

Hope all are having a great day!

Also, I preordered about a week ago from the Microsoft store. They took payment and issued my receipt yesterday. When I ordered, the code sent to my cell phone was used to prove it in fact was me that placed the order. Assuming it is just an additional layer of security.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

djbully
Airman

Post by djbully »

RE: Disc versions of MSFS.

I read that if you buy the disc version, there will be a security check and you need to the disc 1 inserted in your system everytime you want to load up and make a flight.

This does seem to harken back to the 90's, but that's the way it is unfortunately.

I'm sure that a NOCD type patch would be available eventually.....
EGHI

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I pre-ordered yesterday and wouldn't you know it, out of the blue I got a PM from a highly respected person in the FlightSim community who is a beta tester and developer, saying, if you want 'pretty' you'll get pretty in spades. If you want realistic flight/wind dynamics then you'll be very disappointed.
I was then given a long list of stuff that Asobo apparently are not interested in fixing.

I cancelled my order.

I'll see how it pans out. :)
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

patful
Master Sergeant

Post by patful »

I'm taking pretty for now, and banking on A2A making things right. Are the clouds ugly as sin? Yes. Do the giant trees look ridiculous? Yes. But the last two updates of P3Dv4 have not played well with my system, too many random crashes when there were none in previous versions, not to mention P3D pausing when I haven't even hit the pause button. CPU, GPU, RAM, and all controller settings are fine. I've had it... :?

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Ron Attwood wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 10:01If you want realistic flight/wind dynamics then you'll be very disappointed.
I'm firmly in "wait and see" mode. I didn't pre-order, I don't expect to purchase until I've seen what the community is saying (taking EVERYTHING with a very large grain of salt), and I don't guarantee I'll be ordering any time soon.

I did not delete P3Dv4, and I don't intend to.

I'm in the Beta, I see what we've got right now, and I believe it is ready for release to first time simmers. That is not to imply that it is perfect or finished, and there will be a segment of the current simming community that won't be very happy. I prefer to make my own decisions.

I'm finding it very pleasant to fly, but I'm getting a little tired of the Cessna 152. I might get ambitious and start modifying files, or I might leave it like it is. Or... I might go back and fly my A2A aircraft in P3Dv4... I still have that option. :)

Hook

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”