RTX 3070 will kill a RTX 2080 Ti for $500 ???

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hobart Escin

RTX 3070 will kill a RTX 2080 Ti for $500 ???

Post by Hobart Escin »

Woof! Have you guys been keeping up with this? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidi ... ng-we-know

Buffy Foster

Re: RTX 3070 will kill a RTX 2080 Ti for $500 ???

Post by Buffy Foster »

Yeah, but I'll believe it when I see benchmarks from Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, etc., including with MSFS2020. Not even in a hurry, since MSFS2020 runs real nice even on my GTX1080Ti. :)

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

You flountin' da the cuda countin' here Buffy? My GTX 760 is bare a' cudas by comparision. :lol:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cannot wait for the release to see how it all works out. The 3xxx series should be brilliant for VR with a bunch of nice overhead for racking up that res, SS/AA and refresh rates.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

I have a build in-progress with the 3090. Just waiting for stock. Can't wait for smooth VR framerates with A2A!
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Unfortunately not sure about that at least with the P3D platform, in a MP flight in the spitfire with 12 other Spits all close over UK True Earth my 2080Ti was sat around 14% used :( Whilst my CPU was racking up around 70-80% mark.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

IDK if the 3090 will even be faster than the 3080? I think it's feature is more VRAM, so more like the new name for the Titan. For the 20xx, at least with Blender Cycles rendering, the Titan RTX wasn't faster than the RTX2080Ti.

Gamers Nexus has some hands-on benchmarks of the 3080 today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeXh9x0sUc

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Man, I love what I'm hearing about the Ampere GPU so far. I'm actually ready to lay down $500 U.S. for a RTX3070, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to touch one until well after the New Year because of demand. Hopefully the 2000 series Turing unit prices will drop in the interim.

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

@buffy foster, et al.: Man I don‘t know about you native speakers but to me, that video was just an exercise in fast talking.
It‘s not as if one can go back and forth in order to get a better understanding by repetition, he just speaks way too fast. And, from my own experience as a speaker (and recipient of a rhetoric course) I know that a person can only either listen concentratedly, or read. His tables go by so fast, I was not able to do any comparison etc.
So, useless for me.
What I should like to know, as we are here in a flight simulation forum, how does a RTX3080 compare in performance (fps) to, say, a RTX1080Ti? After all, the actual question for us here is: how much (if at all) does it make my FS behave better if I install a 3080? And/or: hiw much does it improve the quality of my scenery and aircraft?
Has anyone been able to test it with P3D/FSX?
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Mace
Airman First Class

Post by Mace »

vtracy wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 05:46 What I should like to know, as we are here in a flight simulation forum, how does a RTX3080 compare in performance (fps) to, say, a RTX1080Ti? After all, the actual question for us here is: how much (if at all) does it make my FS behave better if I install a 3080? And/or: hiw much does it improve the quality of my scenery and aircraft?
Volker
At this point, I have only seen a comparison with MSFS...not P3D or FSX.

As to the 1080ti vs. 3080 in MSFS -- it's looking like the 3080 et al really outpaces the 1080ti at the 4K resolution.

However at 1080p or 1440 the difference is much less. The 3080 is still a little faster at the lower resolutions, but the difference isn't as pronounced.

As for quality of scene -- as is typical, with the newer faster card you can turn up things like AA with less performance impact.

Something to note: current 3080 cards have 10GB vram, but it is thought that soon we will have versions with more vram. If you currently have a 1080ti as I do, I'd consider letting these higher vram cards come to market before doing anything.
Rhett

FunktasticLucky
Airman

Post by FunktasticLucky »

Mace wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 23:49
vtracy wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 05:46 What I should like to know, as we are here in a flight simulation forum, how does a RTX3080 compare in performance (fps) to, say, a RTX1080Ti? After all, the actual question for us here is: how much (if at all) does it make my FS behave better if I install a 3080? And/or: hiw much does it improve the quality of my scenery and aircraft?
Volker
At this point, I have only seen a comparison with MSFS...not P3D or FSX.

As to the 1080ti vs. 3080 in MSFS -- it's looking like the 3080 et al really outpaces the 1080ti at the 4K resolution.

However at 1080p or 1440 the difference is much less. The 3080 is still a little faster at the lower resolutions, but the difference isn't as pronounced.

As for quality of scene -- as is typical, with the newer faster card you can turn up things like AA with less performance impact.

Something to note: current 3080 cards have 10GB vram, but it is thought that soon we will have versions with more vram. If you currently have a 1080ti as I do, I'd consider letting these higher vram cards come to market before doing anything.

The reason that it doesn't trump anything at lower resolution is because MSFS is still limited by the CPU. It's better optimized but on my 10940X I see it more and more where the main thread gets slammed to 100 percent and the rest of the cores are just kinda doing nothing. My 2080Ti sits at 60 percent usage most of the time with a Flight Plan (a bug that still destroys FPS) at 3440x1440 with most settings on Ultra. I think DX12 will fix a ton of the performance issues to be honest.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Aye, Main thread still the regular occurance when I have the relevant bottleneck displays turned on in MSFS. However that is to be expected with my particular system due to the older 6700k.

cheers,
Lewis

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Thanks, @Mace, for the info and tip.
It does seem, indeedn, that with the cards with lots of VRAM, the CÖU performance is the (new) bottleneck. That then, begs the question how to ensure that the potential (i.e. threads) of the CPU is utilized to the max? How to tune the system so that all threads work at the same level. Based on recommendations during the past years, I changed my system from a 6- or 8-kernel CPU with low GHz numbers to a 4-kernel 7700K that has default 4 GHz and can easily be overclocked to 4.6. I did that in the hope that the later versions of P3D would be optimized to using as many kernels as avaulable (and of course as much RAM as possible). That, I think, would be the greatest achievement in P3D which would IMHO set it above MSFS, still. I believe that with v5, the software has reached a degree of maturity that makes it worth while to „tune“ it.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

vtracy wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 10:14 Thanks, @Mace, for the info and tip.
It does seem, indeedn, that with the cards with lots of VRAM, the CÖU performance is the (new) bottleneck. That then, begs the question how to ensure that the potential (i.e. threads) of the CPU is utilized to the max? How to tune the system so that all threads work at the same level. Based on recommendations during the past years, I changed my system from a 6- or 8-kernel CPU with low GHz numbers to a 4-kernel 7700K that has default 4 GHz and can easily be overclocked to 4.6. I did that in the hope that the later versions of P3D would be optimized to using as many kernels as avaulable (and of course as much RAM as possible). That, I think, would be the greatest achievement in P3D which would IMHO set it above MSFS, still. I believe that with v5, the software has reached a degree of maturity that makes it worth while to „tune“ it.
Volker
Interestingly, on my 4 core CPU (which shall remain unnamed to preserve my dignity), P3D initially maxes out 1 core while the other three only share a fraction of the total load. I can then use the Windows 10 Task Manager to manually turn off cores 0 and 2 right after loading P3D v4.5, then immediately turn all cores back on. Result? P3D will be now magically balanced out between cores. A lot of hardcore simmers will tell you that balanced core load actually hurts performance with P3D, but I personally haven't seen it. Really though, the only performance increase I can tangibly see are smoothing of stutters when using addons like Chaseplane. I may also detect smoother performance in heavy Orbx scenery areas like their new Burbank Airport add-on. I wonder if this core balancing trick works with 8+ core CPUs.....

With a high-powered video card paired with an older CPU, the latter will of course bottleneck the system. I experienced this bottleneck via heavy stutters after upgrading my GPU recently and making it roomies with my old CPU. Curiously, I was able to smooth out the system by purposely turning UP graphic settings in P3D v4.5 and loading up the GPU to 100 percent in heavy scenery areas. Difference in smoothness was night and day whereas with lower graphic settings I was getting all kinds of jerks and pauses with Orbx Burbank in a situation where the CPU was maxed but my GPU was only seeing about 70 percent load at lower graphic settings. Purposely making my video card work harder balanced out the system and dramatically helped cope with my CPU bottleneck.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The smart money says to wait for the 3070 ... but without any certainty of when I can actually have a unit in my hands I just ordered an EVGA 2080Ti to install ahead of delivery on my Reverb G2.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”