Help requested with setting up new system

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

Help requested with setting up new system

Post by Masterius »

I’m about to embark on putting my home cockpit back together after a lengthy time in storage, and I could use some advice and suggestions as to how to do so with a minimum of stress and/or problems. Some backstory first:

Last November (2019), I put my house up for sale. At the strong urging/suggestion of my realtor, my wife and I emptied the house of all but the bare essentials. Alas, that did not include our bed, but it did mean the disassembly and storage of both my flight sim equipment as well as the computer that ran my pc games.

Unfortunately, due to the slow market at first and then COVID-19 later, we did not sell our house until late July 2020, and did not purchase and move into our new one until September 2020. I’m only just now getting around to putting my home cockpit back together, and I could really use some advice on how to do so as seamlessly and painlessly as possible, especially since the pc I’ll be using to run my flight sims has changed rather drastically due to a very recent (and fortuitous) purchase.

My flight sim equipment are the Saitek Flight Yoke System with throttle quadrant, an additional two Saitek throttle quadrants, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel, and Saitek Pro Flight Radio Panel. The original computer running it was an Alienware Aurora R4, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16Gb RAM, AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series Graphics, and WDC WDBNCE0010PNC SSD. I also used FSUIPC and LINDA, with a lot of mods and tweaks. The basic flight sim was Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam edition, and the aircraft I’d been flying were the A2A Simulation ones.

Although my flight sim equipment hasn’t (yet) changed, my gaming/flight sim pc has. I’ll be using the following custom build: Motherboard: Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 9; Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X 8-Core; RAM: 64 GB - Corsair Vengeance LED 8GB DDR4 2666; SSDs: 500GB - 960 EVO 250GB RAID 0; HDDs: 2 Western Digital Black 500GB; Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming; Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i; Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X

Nothing is installed and/or loaded but the OS; it’s completely clean. So, what I’m asking is this: what is the best way to go about installing everything, both hardware and software? What priority? What drive, or drives, to use? What’s the best way to install FSUIPC and LINDA, and/or equipment, so that I don’t lose all the assignments? What’s the best way to copy all the settings from the old pc to the new?

It’s been almost a year since I’ve even flown my flight sims, let alone set everything up. I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

~Masterius

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Help requested with setting up new system

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just install to which ever drive you are using for the games/software outside the OS if using a separate drive and away you go. Install one at a time, try the sim check its working restart etc then the next step and build up from there. 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 06:48 ...Install one at a time, try the sim check its working restart etc then the next step and build up from there...

thanks,
Lewis
Well, yes...I did suspect I'd have to install things one at a time. However, since I've never dealt with Windows 10 before--and thus have no experience with its unique idiosyncrasies--nor multiple hard drives, with a mix between HDD and SSD, and since I also recall problems with Saitek controller installation, especially vis-a-vis FSUIPC and LINDA, I was hoping for a wee bit more detailed advice. :|

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Honestly start with the basics, ignore the rest till the foundation of the sim and the basics controllers is done. There are no special things to do with Windows so no worries there. Get the walking sorted before you run.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”