gotta love that sound:)

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
cessna lover

gotta love that sound:)

Post by cessna lover »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoSs8S4YzA now that's a sound you have just got to love :twisted: Oh Yeah :twisted:

patful
Master Sergeant

Re: gotta love that sound:)

Post by patful »

Well, it's sort of a Gold Wing compared to this Harley. :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsujZ6994g

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoSs8S4YzA now that's a sound you have just got to love :twisted: Oh Yeah :twisted:
It's the gun ports ! :-)
DH

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 15:26
cessna lover wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoSs8S4YzA now that's a sound you have just got to love :twisted: Oh Yeah :twisted:
DH
right. the Spit Fire can do it that to. but for some reason it just don't sound as good as the mustang. but they both had the same engine. but i prefer the mustang :D is it because the mustang has 6 guns?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 05:40
DH
right. the Spit Fire can do it that to. but for some reason it just don't sound as good as the mustang. but they both had the same engine. but i prefer the mustang :D is it because the mustang has 6 guns?
There are other prop fighters that have this whine as well. On the 51 it is generally considered that the sound comes from the gun port openings due to location and design. The effect is like the opening on a flute and occurs as the angle of attack on the ports changes in curved flight.
Through the years and especially during the time I flew the Mustang I've had many people ask me about the whine. You don't hear it in the cockpit so my guess was simply as good as the next guy's concerning the answer. In fact I always simply thought it might be a combination of the air passing through the radiator openings. Our 51 had the gun ports removed so I assumed they were not in the equation when people told me they heard the whine coming from my plane during displays.
Over time this proved false as more people checked in on the subject. Today it is generally accepted that the sound comes from the gun ports at least on the Mustang anyway. So even I was wrong ! My GOD......how could THAT have happened? LOL
Dudley Henriques

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The whistling comes from several places, so no one is totally wrong. However, on the P-51, the ports are the primary contributor. Rich Palmer did a series of tests with his P-51 "Bald Eagle" and Vlado in "Moonbeam McSwine" to show that you could get it with or without ports, but that with the ports, it is much more pronounced and can be heard at many more speeds and angles of attack. The Corsair became known as the "Whistling Death" during WWII. Its whistle came from a combination of things, from the oil coolers, the gun ports, and most pronounced - the landing gear, which would be extended into a trailing position during dive bombing and high angle gun runs as a dive brake. I've seen conflicting reports (and don't have my Corsair books available right now) but this feature was either present on all Corsairs (although the controls changed) or it was jury-rigged in the early Corsairs to keep the tailwheel retracted and then made official with a "Dive Brake" position added to the landing gear lever on the F4U-4.

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 08:38
cessna lover wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 05:40

DH
There are other prop fighters that have this whine as well. On the 51 it is generally considered that the sound comes from the gun port openings due to location and design. The effect is like the opening on a flute and occurs as the angle of attack on the ports changes in curved flight.
Through the years and especially during the time I flew the Mustang I've had many people ask me about the whine. You don't hear it in the cockpit so my guess was simply as good as the next guy's concerning the answer. In fact I always simply thought it might be a combination of the air passing through the radiator openings. Our 51 had the gun ports removed so I assumed they were not in the equation when people told me they heard the whine coming from my plane during displays.
Over time this proved false as more people checked in on the subject. Today it is generally accepted that the sound comes from the gun ports at least on the Mustang anyway. So even I was wrong ! My GOD......how could THAT have happened? LOL
Dudley Henriques
well either way it's an awsome sound :D

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Have been painting a bunch of A2A BF109s and was looking foe ideas and ran across this. Have watched this 6 or 7 times. Can't get enough of WWII aircraft rumble.

Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Boys, boys, boys! Whistling! The only true whistling is that from the turbocharger of the Me 109! I had a BMW with a turbo once. That sounded a bit like it, too (although a 3 litre diesel cannot actually compare to a 32 litre engine, but still).
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

vtracy wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 05:48 Boys, boys, boys! Whistling! The only true whistling is that from the turbocharger of the Me 109! I had a BMW with a turbo once. That sounded a bit like it, too (although a 3 litre diesel cannot actually compare to a 32 litre engine, but still).
Volker
yeah but nothing beats the sound of the Mustang when she whistles :twisted:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Here's the straight scoop on the famous whine folks, and trust me, this IS the straight scoop. LOL

During the time I demonstrated the P51 the question concerning the whine was probably one of the most asked of me. Naturally I had heard it while watching other pilots doing displays in Mustangs and I had ALSO heard it while watching other types of propeller driven fighters doing displays.
Over time I have attended many conversations involving some of the best pilots in the world and we have tossed the whistling issue around freely over cold beers.
I can tell you for sure that concerning the P51, the sound does indeed come from the gun ports but that's not the beginning and end of it.
The truth is that many fighters are capable of producing the sound. It originates from different openings and slots on each plane. There is a common denominator in the way the sound is produced however and that common denominator requires an opening somewhere on the plane that can produce a flute effect as relative wind passes an opening at some degree of angle of attack. It's quite similar to how a simple tube flute is played.
I've heard the whine on Spitfires, 109's and various other propeller driven fighters. The Corsair might be unique as a radial due to the fins on its radiators and their location on the inner leading edges of the wings. I've heard the whine as well on Hayden-Baillie's Sea Fury, again due to the location of the radiators.
I can tell you for certain that the sound isn't internal as from a supercharger. There are many sounds involved coming from many sources and to a certain extent what you hear as a prop fighter makes a pass is a combination of all these sounds, but the supercharger is totally internal and simply in the total mix of sound. Actually most of what you hear from the ground are a mix of the external sounds as emitted through the exhaust ports and the prop blades. It's a mixture of mechanical and aerodynamically produced sound.
But that "special" sound everyone loves to argue about is simply the plane playing the flute !
Dudley Henriques

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 09:03 Here's the straight scoop on the famous whine folks, and trust me, this IS the straight scoop. LOL

During the time I demonstrated the P51 the question concerning the whine was probably one of the most asked of me. Naturally I had heard it while watching other pilots doing displays in Mustangs and I had ALSO heard it while watching other types of propeller driven fighters doing displays.
Over time I have attended many conversations involving some of the best pilots in the world and we have tossed the whistling issue around freely over cold beers.
I can tell you for sure that concerning the P51, the sound does indeed come from the gun ports but that's not the beginning and end of it.
The truth is that many fighters are capable of producing the sound. It originates from different openings and slots on each plane. There is a common denominator in the way the sound is produced however and that common denominator requires an opening somewhere on the plane that can produce a flute effect as relative wind passes an opening at some degree of angle of attack. It's quite similar to how a simple tube flute is played.
I've heard the whine on Spitfires, 109's and various other propeller driven fighters. The Corsair might be unique as a radial due to the fins on its radiators and their location on the inner leading edges of the wings. I've heard the whine as well on Hayden-Baillie's Sea Fury, again due to the location of the radiators.
I can tell you for certain that the sound isn't internal as from a supercharger. There are many sounds involved coming from many sources and to a certain extent what you hear as a prop fighter makes a pass is a combination of all these sounds, but the supercharger is totally internal and simply in the total mix of sound. Actually most of what you hear from the ground are a mix of the external sounds as emitted through the exhaust ports and the prop blades. It's a mixture of mechanical and aerodynamically produced sound.
But that "special" sound everyone loves to argue about is simply the plane playing the flute !
Dudley Henriques
well if she's playing music don't that mean she's happy? an unhappy plane is one that's spitting out led!!! and the Corsair was nick named the whistling Death. just ask the Japanese Zero's and the people on the ground about that one. lol

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 09:03I've heard the whine as well on Hayden-Baillie's Sea Fury, again due to the location of the radiators.
Dudley Henriques
I haven't thought about that airplane for a long time! Years ago when Ormond Hayden-Baillie was in the RCAF with an RAF exchange program and stationed at Cold Lake AB, he needed a prop for the Sea Fury. Lo and behold, there was a Sea Fury on outdoor display along with a Seafire of some mark at HMCS Tecumseh Reserve/Cadet facility very close to my home in southwest Calgary and it was a very low time airplane with an excellent low time prop. Ormond showed up one day with a truck and crew of airforce buddies to swap the props. I can't remember his rank at the time but it was apparently enough to convince to local guys to just let him go ahead...and away he went with his new prop. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 09:49
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 09:03I've heard the whine as well on Hayden-Baillie's Sea Fury, again due to the location of the radiators.
Dudley Henriques
I haven't thought about that airplane for a long time! Years ago when Ormond Hayden-Baillie was in the RCAF with an RAF exchange program and stationed at Cold Lake AB, he needed a prop for the Sea Fury. Lo and behold, there was a Sea Fury on outdoor display along with a Seafire of some mark at HMCS Tecumseh Reserve/Cadet facility very close to my home in southwest Calgary and it was a very low time airplane with an excellent low time prop. Ormond showed up one day with a truck and crew of airforce buddies to swap the props. I can't remember his rank at the time but it was apparently enough to convince to local guys to just let him go ahead...and away he went with his new prop. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
"OH BEE" was a good friend and a charter member of the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship, an organization I founded in 1971. He was a great guy and one hell of an airplane driver.
I don't think it was rank that carried off his various "adventures" He was only a Ft/Lt. :-). He DID however, have a LOT of friends.
DH

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”