FS2020 Bug in FSX

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
ballistx
Airman

FS2020 Bug in FSX

Post by ballistx »

I purchased the FS2020 premium through Steam and installed. I already have FSX Steam and A2A 172, 182, PA28 & Commanche & about 800 hours flight time. I have found FS2020 totally unsatisfactory. I upgraded my video for $200 to be compatible. Flying the planes is like an old PONG game. So, I will park FS2020 until A2A adapts their planes. The scenery in no way makes up for its other shortcomings.

However, now a bug has shown up in FSX Steam. I open FSX Steam and I can change the plane in the log on screen, no issue. Once I go to the "fly now" I have the bug. Since I only fly A2A planes the problem is 100%. Once I have selected "fly now" I can no longer switch planes. If I try and switch to one of the other A2A planes the screen goes 100% black for about 30 seconds and then returns to the Windows 10 screen and FSX is closed. No error message at all.

However, I can switch to any (seems like) FSX airplane with no problem. I can switch back to an A2A plane OK. But then, if I try and select a different A2A plane it crashes the same way.

It seems that once I have switched to an A2A plane I cannot select a different one without the program going to black screen and closing in 30 seconds.

Otherwise the FSX seems to run normally.

I ran the update program for the planes and restarted the computer to no avail.

Anyone else exhibiting the same?

ebo
Master Sergeant

Re: FS2020 Bug in FSX

Post by ebo »

I suspect that it might be a sfimmconnect issue.

You can however trace the issue by opening the windows event manager. Start > search Events > system (not sure off hand what the complete description is). Look for entries that have a red circle with an exclamation mark. Look through those entries and you will find an entry that pertains to fsx and the module that caused the crash.

This helps in pinpointing the cause.
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have never had FS2020 , and i fly with FSX+Acceleration , and i have NEVER been able to switch from A2A C172 to A2A B17 for example without FSX crashing , i can go from A2A aircraft to trike then A2A aircraft once or twice befoe sim crashes , A2A aircraft are to complex for FSX to handle switching from one A2A to another A2A aircraft , and i have a good gaming PC .
regards alan. 8)

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:06 Hi.
I have never had FS2020 , and i fly with FSX+Acceleration , and i have NEVER been able to switch from A2A C172 to A2A B17 for example without FSX crashing , i can go from A2A aircraft to trike then A2A aircraft once or twice befoe sim crashes , A2A aircraft are to complex for FSX to handle switching from one A2A to another A2A aircraft , and i have a good gaming PC .
regards alan. 8)
I had exactly the same issue in FSX. Couldn't change from one A2A plane to another. Thankfully, I don't have that issue in P3D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

If you switch from the C182 for example to the Bonanza the sim does not reset the variables it loaded with the Cessna and you will run the Bo with incorrect data and behaviour. It‘s a certain way to screw up the simulation, all above in FSX.

Try it out: load any A2A aircraft that has the walk around feauture and switch to an airplane that does not have the A2A walk around. Press F12 (the default key for top down view). It won‘t work. Or load up the F22 in P3Dv4.5, move the elevator and then load any A2A or PMDG aircraft. You will not be able the use the stab/elevator trim.

Whenever you change the airplane in FSX and its derrivates turn it off, check the task manager it has fully shut down and restart the sim again.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

This sounds for all the world like an Out Of Memory error. Please note that you will NOT always get the OOM dialog when this happens.

This is a reason why it will happen in FSX and P3D up to v3, but not in P3Dv4 and above which is 64 bit. Even then it's probably better not to switch between any two complex aircraft. It is still possible to run out of physical RAM with a 64 bit flight sim, but you have to work at it a bit. :D It's happened to me with 16 gig RAM in MSFS.

As MarcE notes, it's not a good idea to switch between two complex aircraft anyway due to variables being set incorrectly and not cleared when you load another aircraft.

Hook

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Just tried it on my CAD machine. These are virtually identical machines except that now my SIM machine has a GTX 1060 video card. The CAD machine does not have FS2020 downloaded on it.

The CAD machine updated Steam and then loaded FSX. It was set up inflight with the default trike Ultralite aircraft. I switched to the A2A 172 and clicked on the "fly now" button. I then switchted all of the other 4 A2A planes and back to the 172 with no issue. It had to do the initial install of the planes as I haven't used this machine for SIM in a LONG time.

Both machines are I7/3.4 with 16GB of ram and SSD.

I have never noticed any lack of function or control in the past when switching planes.

I am not familiar enough with the programming to go into the various files. I mainly just wanted to put it out there to alert others that would have more insight than I do.

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Update:
Now I lost the mixture and sound on the SIM machine and running fSX. I uninstalled FS2020 and no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled FSX. No avail.
Went to CAD machine and FSX works fine. Yoke works fine.
I have now uninstalled FSX & Steam. Rebooted machine and reinstalled Steam. Now I am installing FSX and waiting for it to download 10GB again. Hopefully this will get it back to where it was before.

Warning: Be prepared for FS2020 to screw up FSX if you have both on the same machine.

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

The saga continues. I have 3 Dell XPS8500's that I have used for the past 6 years or so. I have had FSX-SE installed on them for about 4 years. They have run well with no real issues. I could always switch planes any time I wanted without any apparent issues. I started flying A2A planes exclusively about 3 years ago and have about 600 hours out of a total of over 800 hours on the A2A planes.

The video cards are the original cards that were medium top of the line cards 6 years ago. The main one on the SIM machine is a NVIDIA GTX 670.

I purchased and downloaded FS2020 from Steam and installed it. It informed me that my video card was not adequate. I purchased a Gibabyte GTX 1060 card and installed that. I ran FS2020 and found it to be inadequate for my use as far as the planes went. Scenery was OK. I decided to just park it and use FSX with the A2A planes until A2A ported their planes over to FS2020. However, I started having issues with FSX. I could not change planes the way I did before. Then it got to where it would not even function. I didn't check that out thoroughly as it was just obvious that it would not work. I uninstalled FS2020 and FSX still would not work.

I uninstalled FSX and reinstalled it and it still would not work. I then uninstalled FSX and Steam and reinstalled both. Now the program seems to run OK but I cannot change A2A planes once I have clicked the "Fly now" button.

I can open the program and change planes all I want but once I select an A2A plane and the "fly now" I cannot change planes again. The little blue circle comes up for about 30 seconds and then it goes to the Windows screen and I have to open FSX again.

I can change between any other plane than an A2A plane all I want after hitting the "fly now" button. This includes numerous other NON-FSX planes. But as soon as I select an A2A plane I cannot change without closing down FSX completely.

So, this is unique to A2A planes completely and it is absolutely tied to having installed FS2020 on this machine. The other 2 machines I can change A2A planes whenever I want.

If I just open FSX and start flying the A2A plane it appears to function completely normal.

It appears that FS2020 disrupts some library function that the A2A plane uses but no other planes do.

I am quite certain that I could restore this machine and all would work OK but I don't believe I am going to be the only one with this problem and I have numerous programs on the SIM machine I don't want to have to reinstall.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”