A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

Post by MarcE »

Glad you are fine and obviously great to work with competent people! Anyway, a happy new year everyone. After all this happened in 2020... cough

The ASK13, an old german sailplane, initially didn't have a wheel brake but was equipped with a skid in front of the main wheel and after touchdown on tail and wheel it was pushed onto the nose to brake it down.

It will be interesting to understand why the left gear failed to fall down after you lost the hydraulic pressure. For a plane that has apparently been designed with a fault proof extension system (you would think) this probably shouldn't happen.

I hope you can repair her soon :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Scott & Jake.
Glad you are both OK and managed to belly land safely , hope your aircraft is not to badly damaged , i know the type of damage that can be done , having worked on a BA ATP that belly landed at manchester airport (EGCC) when i was an avionic tech before i retired , that was an undercarrage that failed to come down , the cause on that aircraft was a stuck uplock .
regards alan. 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Sorry about the gear-up landing, but extremely glad that you both emerged unscathed. Hope that the engines are not damaged and that you get the airplane squared away soon.

Thank you very much for keeping us posted.

Seeya
ATB

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Glad to hear you're both alright! Sad about the Aerostar, though :( . Thanks for keeping us posted, could you see anyplace on the outside where fluid was coming out?

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

It seems 2020 still has a grip on us. Very glad you and Jake landed it as well as you did with no harm to yourselves, and little to the plane. I hope you're all back in the air very soon. That's some very skillful piloting. Well done.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

Is now a bad time to ask when the A2A Aerostar will be released? I’m joking of course and trying to make light of a bad situation. Thank God you and Jake walked away and so happy for you that it turned out the way it did. I really believe someone was watching over you two. Brings to heart the saying often used before a flight, God Speed.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Scott - A2A wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 10:19
AKar wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 09:22 Damn, that year did not go without fighting to the end it seems.

The main thing is that you guys are alright, and I hope the damage was relatively minimal as well. Were you lucky enough to avoid props hit the ground entirely?

-Esa
No, we feathered on short final and while the props were stopped, one tip on each engine made contact.

Scott
Oh man that sucks majorly! Especially with the one engine being just out of overhaul. I really hope there’s not to much damage and that you guys get her flying soon again.

Hang in there
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Genista
Airman First Class

Post by Genista »

Good job gentlemen.

Congrats Scott for the spot on decision making and the technical skills required to achieve this butter landing,
Congrats Jake on being the co-pilot everyone dreams to have. Figuring out exactly how you can help and taking the workload away, anticipating the prop feathering and all - excellent, just excellent.

I remember reading that, during WW2, a portion close to half (?) of the aircraft losses were not due to gunfight, but to technical failures and unforgiving airplanes (ie. BF109 landing). :)

Also, working in MRO I have always been told to stay away from complex GA planes, that had technology worthy of bizjets or airliners, but in a very fragile and unreliable form, because the strong components either don't fit or would cost as much as the rest of the aircraft. Not sure if the Aerostar's hydraulics fall into this category - but for example pressurized light piston twins are true maintenance nightmares... And money sinks for owners!

So, despite putting all the love of the world into your aircraft, despite following proper maintenance, and flying the bird by the book, there is always something unexpected lurking out to bite you... And when it happens, you are happy to have your trusty Co-pilot and acceptable visibility and wind.

Rioku
Airman First Class

Post by Rioku »

Happy you are safe!!

Nice job guys!

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Glad you're safe and hope you get the hydraulics fixed and everything working smooth again.

Did you ever think about burning off more fuel before the landing?

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Helluva boy you got there Scott. You've obviously done something right. 👍
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:03 Helluva boy you got there Scott. You've obviously done something right. 👍
Seeing Jake reminds me how old I'm getting. These days he's sporting a beard and a wallet full of well earned pilot ratings.
GOD..........I'm getting old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)))))))))))))))

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:15
Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:03 Helluva boy you got there Scott. You've obviously done something right. 👍
Seeing Jake reminds me how old I'm getting. These days he's sporting a beard and a wallet full of well earned pilot ratings.

Hang in there Dudley, you've got....er...er...Personality, yeah, personality on your side. :D

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:25

Hang in there Dudley, you've got....er...er...Personality, yeah, personality on your side. :D
Boy.....................am I in trouble !!!!!!!!!!!! :-)))

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:44
Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 11:25

Boy.....................am I in trouble !!!!!!!!!!!! :-)))
I'm certain you've got out of tighter spots. :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”