A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A Aerostar Emergency Landing

Post by GaryRR »

Thank God safe. Here's to father's and sons. I reckon you are rightly very proud.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

At this point it appears the airplane will go to a salvage yard where it may be sold and will fly again or may be parted out. Not sure.

I suppose the good news is we recently took a load of video recorded flight tests including deep stalls and I will get any more engine recordings for Accu-Sim and all cockpit switches, sounds, etc.

We've been considering many different airplanes as a replacement, including the Beech Baron and some fast singles or even another Aerostar. Jake is a whiz at finding deals. It's a big decision making a purchase like this. We will keep you updated. This community will be the first to know.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Yikes! Was the damage really that bad? Very sad for you you lost such a great ship. :(

Hope you both get back to flying soon,

Ryan

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The engines were not damaged at all. But legally, if a prop touches anything while the plane is in motion it is considered "sudden stoppage" that requires a tear down inspection. Unfortunately this is a pretty clear regulation that applies even when a still prop just slightly touches a surface.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Oh that's a shame. I imagine it would be a long time possibly years before it would be ready to fly again with insurance, etc. and all the while you're not getting utility. Hope someone can restore it rather than part it out so the fleet doesn't shrink.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Oracle427 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:33Hope someone can restore it rather than part it out so the fleet doesn't shrink.
This is my same hope. The normally aspirated (non turbocharged version) is getting so rare, especially a clean airframe with relatively low time. Considering the overall great shape of the aircraft, this is what I would expect.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Genista
Airman First Class

Post by Genista »

So heartbreaking Scott.

Aerostar was so cool, exotic and unique.

Good luck guys with the replacement! I am sure Jake and you will come up with something incredible.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That is really a shame. Especially after all the work that has gone into it already. But sometimes that’s just what it is and if it’s the financially better decision you have to go with it.

I hope you find a valid replacement.

Good thing you haven’t sold the Comanche yet :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

vtracy
Senior Airman

Post by vtracy »

Here‘s an old saying that I found in one of the many fora:
„Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.“
So, Scott, good landing!😁

As a replacement for the Aerostar, I would opt for a Beech Baron; I have flown it (virtually) in various versions (producers/sellers) over time. I find it easy to fly, fast, and even usable for short field landings.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Scott.
Sorry to hear this news , the damage to the fuselage underside , plus engine strip down inspection , plus new props , was probably to expensive and time consuming for you to fix , it sounds like the aerostar project is on hold for now , main thing in all this , is you and jake came out of it in one piece , which was all down to good airmanship .
regards alan. 8)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

vtracy wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 05:43 Here‘s an old saying that I found in one of the many fora:
"Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.“
It took some digging to find that one. Nice find. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Scott, sad to hear about the end of the A2A journey with the Aerostar. The videos you posted earlier really reflected your passion for this plane.
Cheers
Trev

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Piper_EEWL wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 04:16 That is really a shame. Especially after all the work that has gone into it already. But sometimes that’s just what it is and if it’s the financially better decision you have to go with it.

I hope you find a valid replacement.

Good thing you haven’t sold the Comanche yet :wink:
Thanks Treetops. Your and this comment captures the essence of a lot of comments. One would expect "Oh Scott must be devastated after spending so much time on the Aerostar" but I don't see it this way. It's all part of the experience.

Every airplane has a mission. 25 years ago, the Cherokee was bought to become a pilot and have an airplane that was affordable. Ironically, that was the worst money pit of them all... but that mission was a success. I could have stayed with just the Cherokee for my life but I knew that was just the beginning. I dreamed of a Bonanza in those days but couldn't afford it, then in 2012 my bro, Mitchell Glicksman, told me about the Comanche. It was more affordable, reliable, and a better flying airplane than the V tail. It's mission was to introduce a complex high performance airplane. You are right, I will likely never sell this 250 or at least not for a very long time. I could never get what it's worth anyway, but it's worth a lot to me.

The twin engine was the next natural step. I can't learn an airplane properly IMO unless I own it. That's me, others may be different. But being an owner means you are responsible for everything. This makes me have to dig deep into the systems. And living with the plane, day to day, flying across the country, etc. gives an "owners knowledge." You learn the strengths and the quirks. It's just like owning an old American muscle car. Eventually the machine speaks to you and as a result of being an owner for so many years, N122PC will forever be in my bones.

The Aerostar's mission, though an expensive one, was a success. I am a multi engine pilot. I get it in ways that the majority of multi engine pilot's don't. There is so much not known about multi engine flying which means there is an educational vacuum in the industry. And the A2A Aerostar is perfectly situated to fill it. Many will be shocked what they learn when they fly this plane, as these lessons are applicable to any high performance twin. So there is zero chance we will not be making the A2A Aerostar. It's very far along.

I suppose a cool way to look at this is, A2A's job is to make N122PC live forever through Accu-Sim. It's even more important now, especially since these straight 600's are getting so rare.

Despite the loss, there is so much gained and I'm grateful to be on this journey with everyone here.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Absolutely. So looking forward to the virtual aerostar.

I did a quick search online for a Queenair 65 Excalibur and found this. Unfortunately it's off the market. Sweet looking plane this one, and the sound is just awesome.
The Excalibur has the 400 hp 720's just like the Commanche 400.
Would this be a type of plane you would be interested in?
https://www.globalplanesearch.com/listi ... -65/261651

I guess commercially the Baron would make sense for training purposes.

This was the one that flew out of Perth YPPH every morning doing a paper run up north. The only plane I didnt complain about the noise at 5am.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitle ... bur/745366
Cheers
Trev

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

That Queen Air is gorgeous but from a business pov, I am concerned about rising fuel prices. The twin market is already so soft and a spike in prices could be the nail in the coffin. I'd rather swoop into a crashed market and pick something up for much less rather than be one of those owners watch their airplane's value plummet.

The Aerostar, however, has been resistant to this as it flies efficiently at turboprop speeds. A Baron is also sort of a staple and should bottom out, but who knows. Supply and demand will decide.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”