New Member System Spec Question:

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Dagon Templar
Airman Basic

New Member System Spec Question:

Post by Dagon Templar »

Hello, If this belongs in a different forum, please move or delete.

I am a real life GA pilot who is looking into getting into a home sim. My quest is:

Can my system handle a SIM besides FSX, like maybe p3d v5. Below is my info. Thanks in advanced for the help!

Processer: AMD FX -8320 Eight Core 3.5 GHz
8MD DDR3
Graphix: NVIDIA G force GTX 750

Also, if i am not able to run anything besides FSX, is it still a relevant sim, or very dated?

Thanks in advanced. I look forward to flying with you all

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: New Member System Spec Question:

Post by Skycat »

Researching your specs it looks like your CPU was middle of the road ten years ago but scored well for gaming at that time. The GTX 750 comes in a few different varieties so I'm guessing it's a 2GB model? Anyhow, those specs appear about on par with my old PC with an AMD Phenom processor that I upgraded through the years from 2009 until its fiery death a year and a half ago. The good news is that I believe FSX-SE will run fairly well on your system -- I had FSX boxed and then later Steam Edition on mine since day one. P3Dv5 I'm not as sure about. I think it will run but you'll probably have to use P3D's lowest graphics settings... but doing that negates most of P3D's improvements over FSX-SE.

From an operator's perspective P3Dv5 is about 90% similar to FSX-SE. P3D can carry a heavier graphics load, but FSX is more user-friendly in my opinion. My personal conclusion after using both sims is that 'out of the box' P3Dv5 is better for VR headsets and for military aviation, and 'out of the box' FSX-SE is better for general and commercial aviation, and for included missions and tutorials. Obviously you can get addons that expand either sim toward your personal interests. A2A AccuSim aircraft operate mostly the same between the two platforms.

Edit: As I recall the stock terrain is better in P3D than FSX. I use ORBX terrain packages in both sims though.

It does seem though that lately more people on Steam have been having problems with FSX-SE not starting. It might be related to unsupported drivers or Windows version updates, it's hard to tell. But that may be worth factoring as you decide what sim to go to. Both of my PCs run FSX-SE perfectly though. One is Windows 10 version 20H2, the other is Windows 10 version 2004. I also keep my Nvidia Game Ready drivers up to date.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Dagon Templar
Airman Basic

Post by Dagon Templar »

Thanks for the response.

I still have a copy of FSX on steam. I can download it at no cost and see if it still runs.

I mainly want to use a sim to keep up my com skills with pilot edge and and to keep my instrument/procedures proficient.

If I get a yoke, rudder, and throttle quad, do you think FSX is enough for this? How is the physics/controls? Do the a2a add ons help this ?

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

"Accusim" technology goes beyond the base FSX/P3D core coding, and has allowed to A2A do some impressive physics modeling as well as superior electrical, fuel and oil systems modeling. Watch this video for a general overview of what Accusim looks like for the GA aircraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApL6zUMxtdU

The fighters are set up with a slightly different suite of features but this video showcases the physics of the P-40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm_AQZ8mGxY

I only use a joystick with twist-rudder so I can't comment on other peripherals.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

RJordans
Airman Basic

Post by RJordans »

I hope it is not inappropriate to say that here, but if you want to use PilotEdge for keeping your com skills and procedure skills sharp X-Plane 11 could be better.
The integration of PilotEdge is much better, because you don't have to fiddle around with an external software for the coms. I'm not so sure, whether your PC specs are good enough, but you can just download and test the free demo.
You are missing out the wonderful A2A planes of course, but if you already have FSX SE you may have FSX for the planes and X-Plane for the Coms (or end up like me and have P3D for Warbirds and Tubeliners, X-Plane for GA and MSFS for Sightseeing)

Dagon Templar
Airman Basic

Post by Dagon Templar »

Hi Rjordans,

Thanks for pointing out that x plans has a free demo. I didn’t know this was available. I’ll give it a shot and see how it runs.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”