Two Questions about FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Hobart Escin

Re: Two Questions about FS2020

Post by Hobart Escin »

Well just crap. I was all excited about finally taking the plunge and buying FS2020, but the sim at it's core is still an arcade game, albeit with great scenery. I mean, if P3D could harness the same scenery technology, we might be on to something.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Hobart Escin wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 06:47 Well just crap. I was all excited about finally taking the plunge and buying FS2020, but the sim at it's core is still an arcade game, albeit with great scenery. I mean, if P3D could harness the same scenery technology, we might be on to something.
Please compare default FS2020 with default P3D, not P3D enhanced with a ton of add-ons worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Hobart Escin wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 06:47 Well just crap. I was all excited about finally taking the plunge and buying FS2020, but the sim at it's core is still an arcade game, albeit with great scenery. I mean, if P3D could harness the same scenery technology, we might be on to something.
It really isn't "arcade". I grant you that it does have some training wheels on it, but overall the experience you get out of the box with it is miles better than DEFAULT FSX or P3D. Go the extra tiny step to insall a freely available upgrade for the default plane of your choice (i highly recommend the DA62X) and it simply does not compare. Sure, it's not A2A level, but that has nothing to do with P3D or FSX or XPlane, and has everything to do with A2A themselves and the quality they aim for.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Cat3508 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 21:09 Thats because some of us dont have the band width for the massive download size, and a pathetic downlead speed. I am quite happy with P3Dv4.5 as is
So I am curious about just how much bandwidth is used. I downloaded and cached my local area in high resolution, maybe 3600 square miles, and the space used on my drive was something like 219kb. I do have a download speed of about 110Mbs so there is that. During flight right now over Wyoming at FL310 @ 350 Knots GS flightsimulator.exe is using 85,000-120,000B/s of my bandwidth. That's not a whole lot. I would be curious to see what the minimum network speed would be.
cristi.neagu wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:48 It really isn't "arcade". I grant you that it does have some training wheels on it, but overall the experience you get out of the box with it is miles better than DEFAULT FSX or P3D. Go the extra tiny step to insall a freely available upgrade for the default plane of your choice (i highly recommend the DA62X) and it simply does not compare. Sure, it's not A2A level, but that has nothing to do with P3D or FSX or XPlane, and has everything to do with A2A themselves and the quality they aim for.
Great point. As much as I enjoyed the upgrade that Orbx and AS gave me in FSX & P3Dv4 it does not even compare to what MSFS is as a base sim. In addition to the visual advancement over previous sims I challenge you to compare stock FSX/P3D aircraft to the stock aircraft in MSFS. I'm not saying that everyone should move at once but I'm super happy with it.

Keep in mind that we are not flying the final product. Updates and improvements will continue and soon A2A will bring their aircraft to the table and from what has been stated by A2A personel they will be better than ever 8) .

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

I feel a lot of hate here. It's not evil, it's unfamiliar. A lot of what I am hearing that people are saying are faults, I have actually have grown to appreciate. Bought and flew the Milviz Corsair today and from the moment of the WOW when I climbed into the cockpit to the end of the taxi to parking, I was in absolute awe. The potential for a great flight model is there, you just need to use it correctly when building your aircraft. Again, I think as you become use to doing things differently, you might appreciate the sim more. BTW, I use to hate it, too. :-)

LouP

PS. That Flying Iron Spit ain't nothing to shake a stick at either!

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

I don’t know the bandwidth requirements when flying with satellite imagery turned on and over new territory (or old depending on the size of your cache) it is downloading more or less constantly. But during install or reinstall it can be up to a 120GB or so download.

(Anyone who gets hit with a full redownload, there is a fix. You just need to edit a config file to point to the install but this should only happen to those who move installs to other directories or drives.)

The point of all this is my old internet connection was only 7 Mbps down and about 700 kbps up - just barely able to keep up - and that 120GB download took 3 days and I had to do it twice since I moved the directory to a faster m.2 drive and didn’t know about the config file trick. FS2020 would occasionally turn satellite imagery off if there was any congestion.

I had signed up to get notified when faster speeds were available (no notice) but checked again with our ISP and faster was indeed available - and even cheaper. Now rocking 66Mbs down and 8Mbs up for HALF the price we were paying before. It’s trunked DSL on copper since our neighborhood doesn’t have fiber (though we could pay big bucks for all the trenching in an established neighborhood to get it here).

Anyone with “slow” connections made problematic thanks to FS2020 might check with their ISP. You might be able to upgrade for the same or similar price. If stars align, it might even be cheaper.

Side notes - that Corsair is nuts. Just beautiful. Same for the Spit. Also Reno Stead is out as a free scenery as flightsim.to and is amazing. If you feel like slogging planes around a course, highly recommended. You can also go there stock and watch the planes on a wing around pylons you can’t see but wil give you a feel for what’s building there. The scenery has the pylons, static displays, lots of cool stull.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

I was hammering around Reno Stead myself the other day and having a blast. As far as the connection problem, I'll need to have someone else address that as I have a high speed connection through Comcast and don't have any issues at all while flying because of scenery loading. I know it's all only going to get better and can only imagine where we will be a year or two. The A2A aircraft will greatly improve the realism, I'm sure. The only problem I'm having is that when I'm in the MSFS world via VR, it sometimes gets confusing as to what is the real world and I'll start reaching out for things in the cockpit and loose track of the real time. I'll come out of VR and am surprised by the time of day. I was online with a buddy the other day and was shocked that it was actually 1 in the morning. lol

LouP

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

That’s something some of the guys I fly with also mention - they too get lost in the sim because of the realism to the views. I fly VR too and I keep experiencing that same disorientation between real world and sim world. When I take off the headset it’s almost jarring to be back in the real world and not flying anywhere in the world I want to see, how much time has passed, etc. I got that same feeling in other VR experiences but it feels stronger now in FS2020. I never thought I’d experience flight simulation this real and gave it up some years ago. I jumped back in when Dan started his FlyInside Kickstarter and was an eager backer not really knowing what it would hold. Now I keep hearing more and more real world pilots commenting just how bizarre and immersive FS2020 is. Also waiting patiently for the A2A stable to start hitting - especially the heavy iron. ;-)
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

AerialShorts wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 11:25 Also waiting patiently for the A2A stable to start hitting
If the Comanche hits the market yesterday, it's still not soon enough for me.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I’m waiting until the MSFS updates settle down to a dull roar. I figure very few purchased options are going to be released until MSFS has settled down so A2A or anyone else doesn’t have to continuously update their releases. I already see that INDIAFOXECHO spends most of his(?) time fixing and correcting previous releases.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

cristi.neagu wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 11:29 If the Comanche hits the market yesterday, it's still not soon enough for me.
I've stopped flying MSFS entirely. Enough with the sightseeing, I need my A2A aircraft. Yes, I've tried the mods, still not up to snuff IMO. Waiting for the Comanche, and hopefully we'll get exterior AND interior paint kits with it. I'd pay extra.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Make no bones about it. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

LouP

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”