Two Questions about FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Two Questions about FS2020

Post by DHenriques_ »

In 2020 when parking a plane after a flight I am attempting to shut down normally using a shutdown checklist. All goes well until I get to the Battery switch. As I turn that off the sim suddenly closes taking me to the opening page; no opportunity to save the flight where I am located.
Anyone else having this issue or am I missing something here locally?

About setting up cameras;

Having a bit of trouble setting up my cameras on my new Honeycomb yoke. I didn't like the defaults so am making a new profile changing things around a bit.
All done except my cameras. If I explain what I'd like to be able to do perhaps one of you kind folks can walk me through what to assign on the yoke.
Presently the hat is set up in cockpit camera to look left, look down, look right, and look up. This is fine and what I want there. I have another button assigned to recenter the view to center cockpit normal view. All good there.
What I want to be able to do is assign a button on the yoke to take me outside..............then be able to pan around using the hat........then another button to take me back into the cockpit with a forward view. I'm assuming I need to do something with the drone camera (Showcase).
I want to go outside for a moment or two when in flight then use the hat to move freely around the plane to view the terrain. This can be done using the mouse but I would like to keep mouse use to a minimum when flying.

Can someone throw me the exact path I need please?
Many thanks
Dudley Henriques

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Re: Two Questions about FS2020

Post by Bones »

Hi, Dudley
1. That's the default behavior for MSFS. I'm not sure how A2A is going to work around that.
2. Not sure about the Honeycomb, but on my X52 I assigned a button to COCKPIT/EXTERNAL VIEW MODE to toggle views. And I assign both the cockpit and external panning to the same hat switch, i.e. COCKPIT LOOK RIGHT and EXTERNAL VIEW LOOK RIGHT, etc.. MSFS allows multiple functions for the same buttons.
Pat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bones wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 11:22 Hi, Dudley
1. That's the default behavior for MSFS. I'm not sure how A2A is going to work around that.
2. Not sure about the Honeycomb, but on my X52 I assigned a button to COCKPIT/EXTERNAL VIEW MODE to toggle views. And I assign both the cockpit and external panning to the same hat switch, i.e. COCKPIT LOOK RIGHT and EXTERNAL VIEW LOOK RIGHT, etc.. MSFS allows multiple functions for the same buttons.
Pat
Thanks. I'll try these on the yoke.
D

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

One more thing. That USED to be the behavior on engine shutdown, but it doesn't happen now. Have you updated MSFS? Maybe they changed it recently.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bones wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 11:36 One more thing. That USED to be the behavior on engine shutdown, but it doesn't happen now. Have you updated MSFS? Maybe they changed it recently.
Just ran the latest update yesterday. Still does it.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

That's a different response than what I'm getting Dudley. As soon as I turn off the Avionics or the Battery my End Flight screen pops up where I can go to main menu or continue with flight/shut down. Either event is not cool. I'll be the judge of when to walk away from my ride thank you very much. The only thing I like about it is that it gives me my flight-log for that flight.

They still have some issues to workout with the new sim but I'm liking it very much 8) . Sad to say I have not touched P3D sense installing MSFS. Just completed a flight from Madeira, Portugal to Paris, France in the TBM 930. What a nice plane!!! :shock:

Can you just check your version is 1.14.6.0?

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Sorry, one more thing to look at and I didn't know this to start with. Once update is completed, it may not be. At main screen click on Profile > Content Manager and make sure that all updates have been applied. Left side will show if updates are available.

Cheers
Roger

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

WB_FlashOver wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 13:55 That's a different response than what I'm getting Dudley. As soon as I turn off the Avionics or the Battery my End Flight screen pops up where I can go to main menu or continue with flight/shut down. Either event is not cool. I'll be the judge of when to walk away from my ride thank you very much. The only thing I like about it is that it gives me my flight-log for that flight.

They still have some issues to workout with the new sim but I'm liking it very much 8) . Sad to say I have not touched P3D sense installing MSFS. Just completed a flight from Madeira, Portugal to Paris, France in the TBM 930. What a nice plane!!! :shock:

Can you just check your version is 1.14.6.0?

Cheers
Roger
I just ran the latest update yesterday. Should be fine there.
I think I've solved the camera setup I was having trouble with. It used up an extra button on the yoke to achieve what I wanted but now I can toggle external camera, use the right click mouse to pan around outside then toggle back into the cockpit again.
Boy......I'll tell you......Asobo sure didn't spend too much time making this program intuitive for the user. Almost everything you need to know to get something working properly has to be researched on line seeking third party help.
The sim itself is nothing short of amazing really. I've never seen better graphics bar none. It needs work with the flight models but when we get going with our Accusim equipped planes that shouldn't be an issue any longer...........at least for our A2A community anyway.
I have to admit that the sim taking me out of the shutdown procedure is really aggravating to say the least. We should be allowed to completely shut down to cold and dark and save the flight that way without the sim deciding when the flight has been completed.
Oh well.........they are tweaking it every week or so. Perhaps the word will get out and they will update things.
I will say that without question 2020 has tremendous potential. They need a online user manual and some severe work to be done but the potential is there. They just have to listen to the community and take suggestion seriously.
(I'll check updates in the manager as you suggested)
D

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I wish you luck Dudley.
For reference this is the end screen that I receive. I click continue if I wish to shut the plane down as it should be.

Cheers
Roger

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

WB_FlashOver wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:59 I wish you luck Dudley.
For reference this is the end screen that I receive. I click continue if I wish to shut the plane down as it should be.

Cheers
Roger

Yes that's it. At first I couldn't figure out Asobo's logic in doing this before the flight is completely shut down and the flight saved. I think I realize now what they are doing is giving you (the pilot) the "opportunity" to view the flight stats as in a log book entry THEN allowing you to "continue" and re-enter the plane to complete things and save the flight if desired.
D

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 17:07 At first I couldn't figure out Asobo's logic in doing this before the flight is completely shut down and the flight saved. I think I realize now what they are doing is giving you (the pilot) the "opportunity" to view the flight stats as in a log book entry THEN allowing you to "continue" and re-enter the plane to complete things and save the flight if desired.
D
There is a lot of backlash over it on their forums. I also don't like it. Hopefully they'll fix it soon to be like it used to be in the past. And yeah, the sim is full of all sorts of annoying things, but once you do get in the air, it's great.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cristi.neagu wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 09:43
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 17:07 At first I couldn't figure out Asobo's logic in doing this before the flight is completely shut down and the flight saved. I think I realize now what they are doing is giving you (the pilot) the "opportunity" to view the flight stats as in a log book entry THEN allowing you to "continue" and re-enter the plane to complete things and save the flight if desired.
D
There is a lot of backlash over it on their forums. I also don't like it. Hopefully they'll fix it soon to be like it used to be in the past. And yeah, the sim is full of all sorts of annoying things, but once you do get in the air, it's great.
Biggest bug I'm getting in flight is pitch trim. I can't believe that with all the work Asobo did on this program SOMEBODY over at Asobo couldn't figure out how to put pitch trim into the program as an axis and NOT a key repeat function. The trim is terrible! I have to add that it's also terrible in the other sims as well. (I haven't tried X-Plane).
Now THERE is something that could use some "attention" from Asobo.
DH

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 09:57 SOMEBODY over at Asobo couldn't figure out how to put pitch trim into the program as an axis and NOT a key repeat function.
It's in there, actually. Go in the controls setting and look up elevator trim axis. Make sure the filter is set on all.

Now, i don't know which one you should use and if it works as expected, since i don't use it.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cristi.neagu wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 10:23
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 09:57 SOMEBODY over at Asobo couldn't figure out how to put pitch trim into the program as an axis and NOT a key repeat function.
It's in there, actually. Go in the controls setting and look up elevator trim axis. Make sure the filter is set on all.

Now, i don't know which one you should use and if it works as expected, since i don't use it.
Practically nothing about the program is intuitive. Almost everything is left to be figured out through online research by the user.
DH

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I never had success with FSX/PSD with trim setting being too coarse. I used to edit the CFG settings to make the button press less of a jump. Then I bought the Saitek trim wheel and that gave me the fidelity I wanted. Well worth a look.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”