P3D and Nvidia game drivers 30 MAR 2021

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P3D and Nvidia game drivers 30 MAR 2021

Post by dvm »

AerialShorts wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 09:13 @Paughco - I couldn’t find where I originally saw it but found this at the P3D forums: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=15 - 465.89 is bad news and not recommended.

@dvm - Apologies. I thought you were referring to me. The way consumer software is pushed out the door is pretty shameful as evidenced by the continued Nvidia driver issues and how Nvidia’s latest driver carries a warning at the P3D forums to not install it because it causes CTDs.

Vulnerabilities are a fact of life. It’s probably a saying everywhere in computer security that the only truly safe system is never turned on and never allowed on a network. The trick is to protect systems that are used and that always involves compromise. Like I said, my own system runs an old Nvidia driver out of necessity. Nvidia drivers have occasionally had really bad security issues and run with system privileges. Plus it’s Windows that even fully patched won’t ever be fully trusted on my network. I always have other systems powered off when I run my Windows box and it sounds like you do similar with your system. It’s hard to have these kinds of discussions in public forums because without qualifying and explaining the better advice, the fallback is the best of the sometimes worst advice - try to stay fully patched.
I treat my flight sim PC as if she were daughter and I keep her away from the boys as much as possible. My everyday PC and laptop are my concubines and I assume they knew the job was dangerous when they took it ! :twisted: :D

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The new 466.11 drivers released April 14 also cause P3D to crash. :(
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=239371
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Skycat wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 22:19 The new 466.11 drivers released April 14 also cause P3D to crash. :(
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=239371
It will work with the next release.

Open Issues:

[World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game [3206341]
[Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. [3202250]
[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]
[Prepar3D]: The application crashes to desktop after launched. [3285067] -> Fixed in next driver
[YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]
[Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War may crash on GeForce GTX 10 series GPUs [200719668]
[LG CX] In game FPS may be capped to display refresh rate when "Vertical sync" is set to Off [3285334]

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Thank you all VERY much for this thread. Earlier I sat down for my usual Sunday flight session and P3D crashed. Waddaya know? I had the broken driver installed. Rolled back to an earlier version and it works fine. It would have taken me hours to figure out what was going on.

If it helps someone else, I'm running a Nvidia 2070 Super and I installed version 461.92 (16 March 2021 release).

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Pilots

P3Dv5 is working fabulously (with crowded A2A hangar and loads of excellent Orbx & Partners UK and Ireland scenery) with Nvidia driver 462.31. Everything worked superbly with driver 461.92. I've realised, tardy 'n dimly, that both these drivers are called STUDIO drivers (= P3D works)

So P3Dv5 crashed at start-up with Nvidia drivers 465.89 and 466.11 which are both classed as GAME READY drivers (= P3D crashes).

Am I right to generalise and to predict "P3Dv5 will work with Nvidia STUDIO drivers but will crash with Nvidia GAME READY drivers" ?!

https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/art ... ics-cards-

There are tech wizards on AVSIM P3D Forum who'll be talented enough to explain this.

Hoping I've crashed into something useful for P3D + Nvidia fans!

On the topic of "am I the only person who does not know this, I stumbled on this wonderful music site?

https://playingforchange.com/videos/the ... und-world/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... 6pc%3dOSAS

And still philosophical:

Music + Beer + A2A + P3D + Orbx + Flight1 GTN = HEAVEN

I wish you all the very best of health and my sincere sympathy to those whose loved ones have sadly and prematurely passed on. Blue skies!

Rod EGBB
Last edited by rod55 on 08 May 2021, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

rod321 wrote: 07 May 2021, 02:45 So P3Dv5 crashed at start-up with Nvidia drivers 465.89 and 466.11 which are both classed as GAME READY drivers (= P3D crashes).

Am I right to generalise and to predict "P3Dv5 will work with Nvidia STUDIO drivers but will crash with Nvidia GAME READY drivers" ?!

https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/art ... ics-cards-
P3Dv5 works properly with the GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 466.27 released 04/29/2021. P3D didn't like the two driver releases prior to 466.27 but before that I never had a problem updating to each new driver version.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Many thanks Skycat,

it's very reassuring to learn: I had come to a false conclusion (2+2=4 and not = 22!); especially that now I have not unintentionally misled or misinformed other A2A/P3D pilots; and. now I can keep my Nvidia drivers updated with GAME READY ones (which as you correctly say were absolutely fine before the issue started in March2021)

Glad I posted though.

Thanks to you, now I know the truth.

Right then "'ere goes!"; time for driver update.

Rod EGBB; bucketing down out there ...... wont stop me roaring off A2A Spitfire from Orbx Southampton EGHI into the mist (nothing new there!) and beyond to England's Midlands.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”