Flying Solo Of A Different Sort

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Flying Solo Of A Different Sort

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh just one more thing, what laptime did you do just so I can have a look and match it in the sim :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Lewis,
Those racing sims look really good. I thought about the Nascar sim on Steam, but I don't have a steering wheel. I use my X52 controls all programmed for American & European Truck Simulators and it works great, but not sure that would work for going fast on a course. :-)

I'll see if I can figure out those last lap times by watching the video. They only report your top speed, not lap time.
FAC257

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

I was grinning like a loon just watching that... bouncing off the limiter into One and out of Four... :o Looks like the hardest bend was through the tri-oval. I'm gunna guess they told you to stay glued to the yellow line.

Awesome.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Mickel,

In the driver's meeting they tell you to put it about 10' off the wall on the straightaways and 5' from the yellow line on the banked corners. One of the handlers also mentioned putting the right front tire on the asphalt seam on the straights. The one thing they do emphasize is that is you put a tire over the yellow line on the banked corners, you will wreck and there's nothing you can do about it.

I got to the point early in the first 8 minute session that I was just putting the car where it felt right. I loved diving into the banked corners as fast as possible and then still trying to accelerate thru the turn. That's why I kept hitting the limiter on the last few laps. I was so comfy in the car, I was ready to go faster. Only one oops of the whole day, at about the 5:40 mark in this video. At that point I hit the yellow line in the corner, and you can see the car get squirrely for a second. I just let up on the gas for a sec and went "Oops!" :-)

On the tri-oval, for some reason it felt right to let up a tad and hold it in as close as possible to the yellow line. Never really thought about it, it's just that's where I was putting it.

I would like to do it at least one more time. If you make it past the 32 minute session you qualify for a higher speed than the 5600rpms you hit between 40-48 minutes. In the 48 minute package you get six sessions at 8 minutes track tine. I actually did 7 sessions on the full video, when they wanted me to do a refuel pit stop between the 3rd & 4th session. My spotter also gave me an extra lap about that point. The highest tier package is four 10 minute sessions in a lead-follow scenario with a pro-driver in a second car and the limiter is set at 5800rpms. Not sure though. Early in my session there were other cars on the track, but with me being the only driver past about my second session, I had the track to myself. Something really cool about having the whole Daytona International Raceway to myself. :D
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”