Flying Solo Of A Different Sort

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Flying Solo Of A Different Sort

Post by FAC257 »

Since you guys are as close as I get to social media, I had to share this with you. :-)

Drove over to the Daytona International Speedway this AM to run a Nascar round the track. Booked the appointment for 48 minutes track time, with the goal of hitting about 160mph. Almost made it too, with the best time of 159.55mph.
The first couple of laps I started wondering what the heck I got myself into, but settled in with the car pretty quickly. Very cool with just me in the car and a spotter up top somewhere keeping an eye on me and reporting the locations of the other cars on the track. Hitting the 31 degree banked turns without letting up on the gas was a trip. Ended up being the most fun, scariest, and psycho thing I think I've ever done. What a blast!

FAC257

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flying Solo Of A Different Sort

Post by Mickel »

Wow, that’s awesome.

I take it there weren’t 42 other cars to get a tow from. :P
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Amazing and outstanding! What a trip that must have been.

-=GB=-

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Mickel wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 16:43 Wow, that’s awesome.

I take it there weren’t 42 other cars to get a tow from. :P
At most there might have been 2 or 4 cars on the track with me when I started out. By the end of my 48 minutes I had the track to myself. It gave me a whole different perspective and respect for those guys out there during a real race.
FAC257

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Holy Hell!

That is so so so so so damn cool! Are you also into sim Racing now too, as be careful alongside Flight sim is gets to be a massive massive Double hobby timesuck! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Utterly utterly cool!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Lewis, it was too cool to describe in words accurately. I've already decided I want to do it at least one more time, probably about this time next year. I talked to Sally the NASCAR rep, yesterday and she said that since I made it past 32 minutes on the track, I would qualify to go even faster than I did last Friday. By the time I was running laps at 160, I was ready to go faster, but was red-lining the RPM limiter.

The only driving sims I have are American Truck Simulator & European Truck Simulator 2. Was driving ETS last night using the just released Iberian Peninsula scenery.
FAC257

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

175mph is the target for next time? :?:

So they set the rev limit before you go, yes?
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Yes, they set the RPM limiter via a flip switch on the passenger side of the dash. The driving option packages range from 5 minutes track time, up to 48 minute like I did. They start out with flip switch at 5000 RPMs, which is the lowest setting for folks below 24 minutes track time. From 24 minutes to 40 minutes, the flip switch is changed to the 5400 RPMs setting. The once past 40 minutes they switch out the chip located near the flip switch to allow for 5600 RPMs. Even at 5000 RPMs, your going pretty darn fast, I'm guessing 145mph -150mph.

In the photo above, inside the car, you can see the flip switch on the far right of the dash, next to the white frame tube. The chip to go from 5400 to 5600 is located just the right of the last gauge on the dash. It's the small white thumb drive.

They tell you to get the most speed out of each setting, to bump the limiter so that she starts coughing, then back off a touch.
FAC257

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

wow!! exciting :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:
My personal best top speed on a track is 205 kph or 127mph, but my engine on that run was only 250ccm and I only had half the wheels ;-)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Wow Forest, good for you. Any time you stretch your world like this is a great thing for the soul. Looking great in the picts.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

So bloody cool, just mega awesome, Wish I could advise you a Nascar sim but the best you got really is iRacing and its a subscription job so not best for new comers to sim-racing really. Look forward to hearing about you're next adventures behind the real wheel!

cheers,
Lewis

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Scott - A2A wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 18:11 Wow Forest, good for you. Any time you stretch your world like this is a great thing for the soul. Looking great in the picts.

Scott
Scott, Originally I only signed up for 24 minutes, with some reservation as to whether I could last that long at that slightly lower speed. After thinking on it I decided if I was going to do this, why not go all the way and not leave anything on the table. Heading back home, I had about 4 hour drive and kept thinking "Holy S---, I just did that!". I really felt good about myself for pulling that off. :-)

>>>"Look forward to hearing about you're next adventures behind the real wheel!"<<<
Lewis, I think my next adventure is going to be in the air. I found a spot to go flying in a glider. Going up in a glider has been on my bucket list for a very long time.
FAC257

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh gliding nice, my wifes bucket list is to get in a glider, was going to set it up before Covid popped along so its on pause, hoping for the next year though as it'll be a great bday present lol 8)

For the racing this pic in VR is as close as I get, though standard road racing is more my thing I do enjoy the odd oval challenge and VR being inside the car just like flight sim VR is damn immersive!
Attachments
20210416182714_1.jpg
20210416182714_1.jpg (311.83 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Lewis try this link. I hope it works. :D

https://youtu.be/EJwnkZx0fD4

This is the last session of the 48 minutes I had on the track hitting 160mph/(159.55). You can hear the engine coughing when I hit the redline. They tell you to get the most speed run it up to the cough, then back off a tad.
FAC257

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh my good god that is amazing :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The sound!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Little bit of 70's F1 and me threading the needle through a chicane at Hock from last year from me is about the closest sound wise I got atm. Ill have to check out the rf2 Nascar again as it does sound similar to your video.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”