Checking in and checking up!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Checking in and checking up!

Post by Illi73 »

Hey all! I don't know if anyone remembers me, because it's been some 6 years since I visited here.
The 'air bug' bit me again and so I went back into flight-simulation! I started a bit rusty but amazingly picked up real quick. I thought I would be much worse after this long of a break.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get the Constellation (I do have the 377 as well). I read that everyone who got it (in addition to the 377) was happy and didn't regret it. I know it's going to be a great one.

One point I'm wondering about (also in that decision) is whether something new is still being developed. More than wanting to get another 'big airliner' I would like to close the gap there currently is between the small one-prop GA planes and the 377/Constellation.

I'd love to be able to fly a plane that takes more than 3 passengers, such as an ACCU-SIM Beechcraft or Douglas. Those are also 2-prop planes, which is a nice step in between of the single-props we have now and the quite big 4-props.

Here's just hoping. But anyway, hope you're all doing well and having a good time! :)

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Re: Checking in and checking up!

Post by twsharp12 »

I believe they are still caught up in transitioning to accu-sim version 4 development and haven't seen much new aircraft in a while, and I wouldn't expect there to be any new airliner releases until we get some GA for MSFS. The last hint we received for development was a new comanche.

You probably won't be seeing a new airliner soon.

Manfred Jahn's free C-47 is an absolute legendary flight sim plane if you need 2-prop plane that can handle passengers or cargo. Worth looking into maybe.

[I do not work for A2A, these are just my opinions]

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Thanks for the tip, twsharp12, I'll go check it out.
From what I read they did a really good job, but I'm spoiled by the high standards of A2A's ACCU-SIM, so the bar is pretty high for me! ;)

And thanks also for sharing the information on what's being worked on at the moment by A2A (as far as you know). It helps. :)

By the way, I'm amazed so much changed since I last flew (simulated) - FlightSimStore went 'POOF' and I had to go through some hoops to get my ORBX world detail to work again (Luckily the ORBX staff was friendly and could help me by transferring my account from so long ago) - FSX no longer has their free 'real weather' option working - Flight 1 seems to have completely forgotten my account and I couldn't get my GTN working anymore (I decided to give up on that) and I used to have PLAN-G, but none of the 'free maps' are working anymore (and I'm too cheap to subscribe to monthly subscription maps - they're not worth it THAT much to me), I switched to 'Little NAV Map', which is a great alternative.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The Manfred Jahn C-47/DC-3 is an excellent aircraft even if not up to A2A standards. Combine it with Accu-Feel and it's as close to Accu-Sim as you can get outside A2A.

I've been using Active Sky for my weather since the beginning, when FSX Jeppesen weather was still working and it is much a much better option. There are other real world weather options if you want to explore them.

Little NavMap is excellent and I believe there are other map options available than what you get standard. I haven't tried any of them.

I like both the 377 and the Connie. It is probably well worth having both.

Good luck!

Hook

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Thanks for your input, Hook!

*** Active Sky ***

What I'm missing because FSX no longer supports 'real weather' is that the weather in the simulator isn't anymore reflecting the weather on Earth 'in Real Life right now'. So let's say it's currently +4 degrees Celcius here, with a Northern wind of 5 m/s... it would put that into the simulator for me by getting that information from the internet. When I googled 'Active Sky', I don't really see that being one of the features (unless I'm mistaken and overlooked it?) It appears it's more a 'better handling' of clouds, formation and shifting and possibly graphical update?

*** Manfred Jahn C-47/DC-3 ***

First I found just the '3.12' version and fixes for 3.14. I tried it, liked it enough and then found the 3.14 download. That's quite an improvement to the 3.12 version I must say! I flew two test flights with it and it does have its charms. Not personally THAT much a fan of the heavily worn surfaces but since it's an oldie I can live with that, so not a big deal that they didn't give it a bit of new paint. ;) Most of the switches (certainly the ones that matter) are working, just like in the A2A planes, so yesh, I'm content with that one too. ACCU-SIM would have been nice of course, but thanks for the tip to switch 'ACCU-FEEL' on for this one. I hadn't thought of that yet! The maybe biggest thing I have to get used to with this plane in comparison to what I'm used to from A2A is that the gauges are a bit harder to see/read. I think partly because they are smaller (or further away) but also A2A's gauges are pin-sharp and of such high quality that they are the most awesome ever!
Having all that said, I'm happy with this alternative, to 'fill up the gap in my selection' and will definitely take it out for a fly when I feel like flying something a bit bigger than a Piper/Cessna but smaller than a 377.

*** Connie ***

Order incoming! :D

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

The Active Sky wind speed and direction and temperature match closely with the real world. I use skyvector.com for flight planning and to get real world METAR information for airports, and never had any problems. I use windy.com for general weather and wind planning, and it's been fairly accurate with the sim, including at altitude. I have no complaints. Even freezelevel seems pretty accurate.

I've used various versions of Active Sky across FSX and P3Dv2 and v4. One reason I originally got it was because it had a weather map, something missing from FSX weather, and I really like it. Active Sky also does very good smoothing and interpolation between weather stations and for out-of-date METARS.

Here are a few things that have impressed me over the years.

I was flying south to my home airport (F00 in Bonham Texas) in the rain. Shortly before I landed the rain stopped. After landing I asked my wife if it was raining outside. "Not yet." Sure enough, in a few minutes the rain started, exactly what was depicted in the sim.

I was flying in Alaska, Sparrevohn through the Merrill Pass toward Anchorage. A few miles before the pass I saw areas of what looked like ground fog, at least 30 to 40 miles from the nearest weather station. On other flights I saw similar in various areas. Active Sky simply decided they should be there and depicted them. I saw that fog on this route on only one of many flights.

Flying Yakutat to Sitka down the coast, I was in the clear, it was clear over the land, but over the ocean there were clouds in the distance. No weather stations out there.

I was flying north, east of Dallas, in clear skies. Off to my left, over Dallas, there was a thunderstorm in the distance. Thunderheads, lightning, the whole works. About the time Dallas was directly off my left wing, I got a call from a friend who lived in Dallas. I asked her about the weather, and she said she was getting thunderstorms.

If you are in the sim and check out the clouds, then go outside and look up, it won't be exactly the same. But you'll see cumulus or overcast or whatever is appropriate. If you are approaching a weather front or thunderstorm, you'll see the clouds in the distance and be able to adjust your course as necessary visually.

Active Sky has a lot of options you can adjust to your preferences. For example, you might want to turn maximum turbulence down a bit for the passenger airliners, or limit updrafts and downdrafts... in my case to 500 feet per minute.

I recommend NOT flying through any kinds of clouds in a thunderstorm. That doesn't respect any limits you've put on up/downdrafts. :) Google "microburst" :D

Some people complain about "flying on rails." Many people don't seem to understand that this is not a flight model issue, but an atmospheric one. Active Sky gives you enough "atmospheric texture" that you won't be flying on rails constantly and it feels natural when turbulence occurs.

If you haven't been flying in a while, and aren't using VR, have a quick look at TrackIR. It allows you to look around naturally by moving your head. I consider this to be the most important peripheral after a joystick. Not everyone agrees, so make up your own mind after checking out their website. TrackIR works in a variety of other games as well.

Hook

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Those are cool stories about your weather experiences, Hook! :) I understand those things are memorable for quite a while. Active Sky is a one-time purchase I assume? Or is it subscription based? Looks like 'AS16 for FSX' and 'Active Sky Cloud Art' would be the ones for my simulator. Just trying to decide whether the price is worth it to me. I mean, it's something I may have not considered earlier - but since FSX had it "embedded" I usually did it and it gives a bit more variation and unpredictability than just "calm weather" as selection. Sort of did get used to that. And it's nice that it's colder outside in the SIM when it's actually colder outside for real.

Anyway... um, relating turbulence... heh. I purchased the Connie today and had two flights with it (one short one to try it out) and one longer flight (where I actually landed on an airport earlier than my destination because I didn't want to sit and wait for 2-3 hours without anything going on). On GA planes I often use the time lapse during cruise when there's large distances to be covered (so I put it to 4x or even 8x occasionally). This is fine as long as the sky is clear and there's no clouds. With the connie (and passengers + career report) it is NOT recommended! The sky looked nice blue and clear at my altitude but then unexpectedly there were a few air pockets. This is where the plane goes slightly off course and the auto pilot tries to correct, but it over-corrects a little, so it has to correct back in the opposite direction and it goes from bad to worse, making the plane REALLY sway violently to the left and right and a quick 'PAUSE' button followed by setting the time flow back to real-time, disengaging auto pilot and manual stabilizing is needed. Somehow the AP can't deal with the time lapse mode. So yeah, had that kind of fun... which made me have to choose between 'landing at an earlier airport' or sitting mostly idle staring at the sky without anything to do for several hours. I can be patient, but waiting isn't my favourite hobby. ;) -- yes, I could go do the engineer's job, but it's the pilot's stuff that I'm most interested in - and navigation.

I don't have VR, nor TrackIR. I've seen people use it in YouTube videos and understand it can be useful, but I'm happy enough with using the hat switch. By the way, I used to use a joystick but then I thought "it's nice for when flying e.g. the P51, because that has an actual stick... but the GA planes (I fly mostly) have a yoke. I switched to a game controller (which is held much more like a yoke funnily enough - and yes, I do know there's yoke controllers existing, but don't have any of those). It's working better for me. The joystick I have is really crappy and when I need to make small precision motions - e.g. on landings) it CRACKS and makes noise like you wouldn't believe. It sounds a lot like it's about to break apart, haha. Anyway, the only plus part on the joystick is that it has a (single) throttle, but I've gotten used to doing this differently now.

Sorry about being a bit long-winded.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Active Sky is a one-time payment. If you ever need to upgrade it, you'll get a discount for having an earlier version.

I'm not sure where your clear air turbulence could have come from. Active Sky will produce it, with the default being about 4 hours between instances.

Active Sky will also allow you to use historical weather. I typically use it when I want to make a particular flight but don't like the current weather. I'll go back a week at a time until I get weather I like. Generally, I like Active Sky for the "random" variety of weather conditions.

A2A recommends no higher than 4x time compression or you can have problems. I don't use time compression myself. I've only used it twice, once on the ground after landing to see how long it would take ice to dissipate (it turned out to be 2.5 game hours... I was barely able to get back to an airfield and land after encountering freezing rain) and once using FSEconomy when I wanted to ferry one of my aircraft from Alaska to Texas. Don't believe anyone who says icing isn't implemented in FSX. I've had four forced landings due to icing.

I also don't use autopilot. I used it on every flight in the beginning, then discovered it was more fun to fly without it. For a while I used altitude hold until I figured out how to use trim. The only time I've used it recently was on the Connie, once when I was getting eye strain from watching the horizon, and a few other times when I had to leave the computer for a few minutes to do caffeine maintenance functions.

When you're hand flying, you have less time to get bored on a long flight. :) If you're also doing your own navigating (without using a GPS) it keeps you busy. I'll do an occasional 10 hour fight, but most are shorter. If I don't feel like making a long flight, I simply plan a shorter one, but I have occasionally landed at an intermediate airport... that's OK too.

I see no problems with people using a game controller. I have a yoke myself, but prefer a joystick these days. I used to switch back and forth depending on the aircraft.

Hook

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I happily used the stock FSX real weather for many years before giving REX a try. I immediately concluded it was superior to stock real weather, but a toil to use. I switched to Active Sky and Cloud Art and found it better suited my style of simming. I recently bought the version of Active Sky for P3Dv5 too, with the discount for already owning AS16. Both share Cloud Art.

BTW, I've had similar experiences as Hook with AS, of flying through a virtual storm near my home and landing and then having the real storm hit at my house a few minutes later. Also, the less enjoyable experience of trying to start an A2A warbird on a cold winter day. :)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I've only got the P-40, and I don't think I've tried flying it in extremely cold weather. But when I was working with the Cub I was able to get it started easily enough at -30 C. You HAVE to let the engine warm up before flying. I did a test, taking off immediately at -30 and dropped my engine from new to fair. Note that it may make a difference to be facing into the wind when starting rather than having the wind coming from your back.

I got bored with P3Dv4's stock clouds and bought Active Sky Cloud Art. I really like ASCA's clouds. They look more like what I see when I go outside and look up at real clouds than anything else I've seen. Google "time lapse clouds" to see real clouds in motion, pause occasionally to get what you see when flying. Not everyone shares my opinion, so don't do it until you're tired of seeing stock clouds.

Hook

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I've been a fan of the enhanced atmospheric clouds and active sky combo in P3Dv5. I think it gives MSFS a run for its money, and it should only improve with each new release.

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

Clear air turbulence: Maybe there were some very low density clouds that I didn't see/notice. The sky was not completely clear - there were clouds here and there, just not (for me visually, or noticeably) at the position where I was flying at that time.

Time lapse: Yeah, I try to stay away from 8x mostly and stick to 4x if I use it.

Auto pilot: On some flights I don't switch it on either (I agree, it's fun to do everything yourself), but it is more relaxing sometimes to just put it on and sit back. I still have to get used to the connie AP, especially the elevator I don't seem to really get working smoothly. It (at real-time, no time lapses here) it just makes the plane bounce a lot around, alternating from ascending +500-ish fpm to descending -500-ish fpm. Manually it's also quite a handful to keep the plane level (because it's very sensitive and a bit of speed increase or decrease seems to have a big effect on the vertical speed). But I'm better at it most of the time than the AP. Maybe I have to reduce the 'turn speed' knob for elevator on the AP or something. Advice is welcome.

"When you're hand flying, you have less time to get bored on a long flight." -> That is true. I'm flying VOR to VOR typically, not GPS. I like the instruments, but then often fly VFR instead of IFR because it gives me more freedom and feels less like a job (i.e. where someone tells you what to do, if you get what I mean). I try to keep to short flights, but when on a 'bigger mission' like now, I start from the last airport where I landed and then continue on from there in the following session. Years ago I did an 'around the world trip' like that, now I'm on a 'Europe Tour'; big circle through Europe. Currently in Scandinavia, at the northern-most part of my planned trip.

Skycat/Hook: I rarely fly around my home city. I like to see different parts of the world and so on one day I fly in Australia (really pretty there), other days in the US, or e.g. France, Germany... so in the sense of 'the weather is what it is right here where I am' Active Sky isn't going to give me that kind of experiences (often) but it just somehow feels that "I'm flying there right now", or "what it would be like if I were". Hope that makes sense. It feels more real / realistic? Hook has a point too... the stock clouds do get a bit... repetitive.

Question: When a new 'Active Clouds' release comes out, do you HAVE to upgrade to it, or can you keep using the older version (and can you reinstall that older version again if you need to do a new install - or do you then have to buy the latest?) I don't know how much of this is 'offline' or linked to the Active Sky provider's website?

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

It (at real-time, no time lapses here) it just makes the plane bounce a lot around, alternating from ascending +500-ish fpm to descending -500-ish fpm. Manually it's also quite a handful to keep the plane level (because it's very sensitive and a bit of speed increase or decrease seems to have a big effect on the vertical speed).
A2A seems to like their aircraft a bit twitchy. I suspect a lot of it is the difference between their controllers and mine. You can make some simple edits to aircraft.cfg files to reduce this.

Look in the Connie aircraft config file near the bottom and make the following edit:

pitch_stability=2.5 // LDH was 1.000, tried 2.0, 4.0, 3.0

The comment at the end is my initials (so I can find my edits quickly) and the original value plus other values I tried. A pitch stability of 3.0 will make the Connie fly about like other aircraft you're used to, using 2.5 makes it slightly sensitive which I understand is a characteristic of that aircraft so I kept it that way. Changing stability shouldn't affect flight characteristics enough to matter, not like changing elevator_effectiveness which I do not recommend.

Be sure to make a backup copy of aircraft.cfg in case something gets messed up. You may need to make the edit again whenever the aircraft is updated by A2A. In one case with another aircraft, I forgot to make an edit after an update and discovered it was no longer necessary, so test the aircraft before making any changes after an update.

The Connie can be trimmed to hold an altitude easily if you're proficient using elevator trim. I don't use the pitch hold when I use the autopilot on the Connie, only the rudder.

Active Sky: You can use an older version without problems (as long as it's for the same simulator). As far as I know, updates are not mandatory. This isn't like MSFS2020 where the sim won't start until you've updated it. :D You shouldn't have any problems using an older version on a new install.

Hook

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Active Sky 16 is pretty much the end of the line I think for HiFi 's FSX development. They might still release future update patches for it but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.

I actually upgraded from an earlier Active Sky FSX product. I don't recall if it was a free upgrade or deeply discounted; but again I doubt there will ever be a 'new' Active Sky for FSX.

Once it is installed and registred you're pretty much done with the any accountability to the developer. The loading screen will alert you if there is an update patch. If there is, you have to go to HiFi's website and download it and install it yourself. And if you choose to stick with the older version that's fine too.

The version for P3D v4/5 is a little more intrusive though, you have to log in to your account every time you launch Active Sky. Mine is set to remember my password so it's not too big of a deal.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Using time compression with accu-sim aircraft also causes incorrect fuel burn. My understanding is fuel will burn in real time regardless of how much time has been sped up. If you did a whole flight in x4, you would have burned 1/4 of the actual fuel that should have been burned. Something to remember when you are landing since you could be unexpectedly overweight in the Connie.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”