A2A Comanche and MS FS 2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jackwall
Airman

Re: A2A Comanche and MS FS 2020

Post by jackwall »

My 'transfer' to MSFS2020 is gradual. I'm still flying P3Dv4.5 mostly.
It's where my second copy of the A2A Comanche purchase exists (as well as my copy of PMDG QotS). This are my main modules.

So news of the A2A Comanche is both intriguing and a measure alarming (wallet wise... :lol:) Oh, it's a nice problem to have!
The advances with Accu-Sim for MSFS2020 are of particular interest I must admit. It's likely to be a real postive disruptor in this market place (I'm sure) and offer the sector of the community seeking greater fidelity, exactly that.

I'll be following closely how it's performs once it arrives.
I have to admit, I'm not quite willing to close the door on P3D just yet.

Hmmm!

S!

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

jackwall wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 04:00 My 'transfer' to MSFS2020 is gradual. I'm still flying P3Dv4.5 mostly.
It's where my second copy of the A2A Comanche purchase exists (as well as my copy of PMDG QotS). This are my main modules.

So news of the A2A Comanche is both intriguing and a measure alarming (wallet wise... :lol:) Oh, it's a nice problem to have!
The advances with Accu-Sim for MSFS2020 are of particular interest I must admit. It's likely to be a real postive disruptor in this market place (I'm sure) and offer the sector of the community seeking greater fidelity, exactly that.

I'll be following closely how it's performs once it arrives.
I have to admit, I'm not quite willing to close the door on P3D just yet.

Hmmm!

S!
Scott and I will be working closely together on the Comanche test flights. Scott owns and flies a Comanche and I have many hours flying one we had in our charter operation.
I think when the plane is released you will be pleased.
Dudley Henriques

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hello to all, how soon we could see an A2A craft in MSFS?
Pat

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

trisho0 wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 16:43 Hello to all, how soon we could see an A2A craft in MSFS?
Pat
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We’re not sure…
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

I keep going back to this screenshot and dreaming... Image

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I check A2A Simulations site..... Here every single day! to see my chance to grab any A2A plane and especially Connie. I am dreaming too much I know but the Comanche where is it? Maybe in 20 more months.
Pat

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

At this point I have stopped caring, when it shows up it shows up. A watched pot never boils.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Buffalo Alien
Airman

Post by Buffalo Alien »

jeepinforfun wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 13:38 At this point I have stopped caring, when it shows up it shows up. A watched pot never boils.
Very well spoken.
P3Dv5, DCS World, ED Odyssey, MSFS PC & Xbox Series X. Win 11 23H2, ASRock B550AM, AMD Ryzen7 3700X 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon RX5700, 64 GB DDR4 3000 MHz, ASUS TUF 23.8 x2, TM Hotas Warthog, TM TFRP, Xbox Elite Controller 2, TM TFlight Hotas One, MX Mech.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

jeepinforfun wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 13:38 A watched pot never boils.
It does actually. It's just VERY boring...
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

A2A's YouTube channel is one of very few channels (perhaps the ONLY) where I have clicked the notification bell, so I actually get notified directly on mobile & via e-mail when they post a video. It's a rare event of course, but one I really do want to know about when it drops. With that I don't feel I'll miss any major announcement by not visiting the forum all the time.

Thought it was a tip worth sharing if it helps you get on with your lives in the meantime :wink:

lwt1971
Airman Basic

Post by lwt1971 »

MarcE wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 03:37
marez wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 11:34 I doubt it. All planes in msfs2020 fly awful. The flight model of msfs2020 is a joke and no developer has been able to improve the performance of their pay planes. The only solution is that a2a can import his own flight model and this does not depend at all of the msfs modern flight model. I don't know if this is possible
Different is not necessarily worse ^^ Like Cristi said above A2A have circumvented the flight dynamics of FSX and P3D and they will continue to do that in MSFS2020. However I strongly disagree that the flight models were "awful". They do have flaws indeed, a big problem currently is the aileron/yaw behaviour and generally the effect of the rudder of the default flight models. Apart from that there are just some minor issues. But look at it from A to Z: Taxi with realistic power settings. Takeoff without forcing the airplane in the air, it will fly by itself when it's fast enough. good (not yet perfect) thermal/turbulence effects in low altitudes at departure. Fly the airplane through a dynamic atmosphere. Descend and approach with realistic power settings, no 60-70% required in the Cessna with flaps down as in FSX. Try to stall and spin a default airplane in P3D and then do the same in MSFS. The physics and flight dynamics in MSFS are much better than in any sim before. As said, there are flaws and problems to be solved. But even ATSimulations have already resolved these issues with their Piaggio 149, the rudder behaves nicely there. It's all about the will and skill of the developers. And if a Carenado biplane behaves erratically on the ground it's totally up to the devs to do something against it, apparently it's possible.

A2A will have their own environment anyway called Accusim, so whatever they will release into MSFS it will couple amazing Accusim physics and systems with the best of MSFS.
Hi all, have been a long time lurker here and finally registered to post since I have a burning question re: this question of flight model. Firstly from all what I've heard from MS/Asobo and other 3rd party devs like Fenix, it is impossible to implement an aircraft with a flight model completely external of MSFS. Systems wise yes, that is certainly doable (like the Fenix A320 already does with its Prosim based systems code), but when it comes to flight model aircraft developers have to build and base it on the core flight dynamics engine and framework, and tune various parameters and characteristics, etc etc and that is where the ultimate flight model of the aircraft is made or broken (also where an aircraft dev who knows their aircraft like A2A can do a lot of magic). A lot of the initial default and payware aircraft for MSFS were poorly implemented which many then used as evidence for MSFS having poor flight dynamics... but recent examples like the Milviz C310, iniBuilds A310, Fenix A320, etc all have shown great flight models are quite possible in MSFS.

Also, for the aircraft to fully/properly interact with MSFS's atmospheric airflow simulation, weather, etc its flight model needs to be internal in the sim and based on the core flight model and FDE.

Can someone on the A2A team confirm that the Comanche is indeed built on top of the core MSFS flight dynamics engine? i.e. https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/S ... hysics.htm ... And does it have a flight_model.cfg? If somehow A2A has been able to implement a flight model completely external to the sim (i.e. maybe where MSFS is used just as a display port to "slew" the aircraft via simvars or whatever), that'd be very interesting to learn more about!

In any case, can't say just how excited I am to learn more details about A2A's Comanche and get to fly it, it's going to greatly improve the GA experience in MSFS!

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

lwt1971 wrote: 09 May 2023, 14:25 Firstly from all what I've heard from MS/Asobo and other 3rd party devs like Fenix, it is impossible to implement an aircraft with a flight model completely external of MSFS. Systems wise yes, that is certainly doable (like the Fenix A320 already does with its Prosim based systems code), but when it comes to flight model aircraft developers have to build and base it on the core flight dynamics engine and framework, and tune various parameters and characteristics, etc etc and that is where the ultimate flight model of the aircraft is made or broken (also where an aircraft dev who knows their aircraft like A2A can do a lot of magic). A lot of the initial default and payware aircraft for MSFS were poorly implemented which many then used as evidence for MSFS having poor flight dynamics... but recent examples like the Milviz C310, iniBuilds A310, Fenix A320, etc all have shown great flight models are quite possible in MSFS.
To be quite honest, I don't know if it is impossible. All I know is that Microsobo don't support it and don't want 3rd parties doing it. How far they would go to prevent it is anyone's guess. Maybe Microsobo would tolerate it, or maybe they might actively try to patch any entry point for an external flight model. The evidence we have so far seems to indicate that the former is more likely. I think there are some ways to bypass the flight model by moving the plane around in 3D space by injecting position data into the sim, so that might be a way to achieve it.

Either way, we don't know how A2A are implementing AccuSim. We'll just have to wait and see.

lwt1971
Airman Basic

Post by lwt1971 »

cristi.neagu wrote: 10 May 2023, 07:18 To be quite honest, I don't know if it is impossible. All I know is that Microsobo don't support it and don't want 3rd parties doing it. How far they would go to prevent it is anyone's guess. Maybe Microsobo would tolerate it, or maybe they might actively try to patch any entry point for an external flight model. The evidence we have so far seems to indicate that the former is more likely. I think there are some ways to bypass the flight model by moving the plane around in 3D space by injecting position data into the sim, so that might be a way to achieve it.

Either way, we don't know how A2A are implementing AccuSim. We'll just have to wait and see.
I think the biggest blocker is how intertwined the core flight dynamics engine is with the weather and atmospheric airflow systems in the sim.. i.e. it's likely more of an architectural/technical issue than one of MS/Asobo wanting to allow external flight models or not. If MSFS was to be used just to place in the aircraft in 3D space then the external flight model would also have to simulate its own weather, winds, and all the other factors that impact flight. That said, given that the core flight dynamics engine of MSFS is fairly configurable and extensible, the flight model portions of A2A's AccuSim could conceivably sit on top of the MSFS core FDE within the sim, and then the particular code for each of A2A's aircraft sits on top of that.

Like you say, we'll have to wait for when/if A2A release more details of how they've implemented AccuSim and the Comanche.

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

cristi.neagu wrote: 10 May 2023, 07:18
lwt1971 wrote: 09 May 2023, 14:25 Firstly from all what I've heard from MS/Asobo and other 3rd party devs like Fenix, it is impossible to implement an aircraft with a flight model completely external of MSFS. Systems wise yes, that is certainly doable (like the Fenix A320 already does with its Prosim based systems code), but when it comes to flight model aircraft developers have to build and base it on the core flight dynamics engine and framework, and tune various parameters and characteristics, etc etc and that is where the ultimate flight model of the aircraft is made or broken (also where an aircraft dev who knows their aircraft like A2A can do a lot of magic). A lot of the initial default and payware aircraft for MSFS were poorly implemented which many then used as evidence for MSFS having poor flight dynamics... but recent examples like the Milviz C310, iniBuilds A310, Fenix A320, etc all have shown great flight models are quite possible in MSFS.
To be quite honest, I don't know if it is impossible. All I know is that Microsobo don't support it and don't want 3rd parties doing it. How far they would go to prevent it is anyone's guess. Maybe Microsobo would tolerate it, or maybe they might actively try to patch any entry point for an external flight model. The evidence we have so far seems to indicate that the former is more likely. I think there are some ways to bypass the flight model by moving the plane around in 3D space by injecting position data into the sim, so that might be a way to achieve it.

What you've heard from MS/Asobo and other 3rd party devs like Fenix may not be reliable basis for speculation on the Comanche (i.e. regarding the so-called "impossibility" of implementing a flight model completely external to MSFS). What we do know from Scott's previous posts is that A2A have overcome the previous obstacles to implementing Accusim in MSFS how they want to and it WILL happen. I am not aware of any reason to suppose that the flight model will not be included in their implementation of Accusim. On the contrary, posts by Scott and Dudley appear to indicate that it IS included and that it allows them to tune the flight model with a high degree of accuracy.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

lwt1971 wrote: 10 May 2023, 09:13
cristi.neagu wrote: 10 May 2023, 07:18 To be quite honest, I don't know if it is impossible. All I know is that Microsobo don't support it and don't want 3rd parties doing it. How far they would go to prevent it is anyone's guess. Maybe Microsobo would tolerate it, or maybe they might actively try to patch any entry point for an external flight model. The evidence we have so far seems to indicate that the former is more likely. I think there are some ways to bypass the flight model by moving the plane around in 3D space by injecting position data into the sim, so that might be a way to achieve it.

I think the biggest blocker is how intertwined the core flight dynamics engine is with the weather and atmospheric airflow systems in the sim.. i.e. it's likely more of an architectural/technical issue than one of MS/Asobo wanting to allow external flight models or not. If MSFS was to be used just to place in the aircraft in 3D space then the external flight model would also have to simulate its own weather, winds, and all the other factors that impact flight. That said, given that the core flight dynamics engine of MSFS is fairly configurable and extensible, the flight model portions of A2A's AccuSim could conceivably sit on top of the MSFS core FDE within the sim, and then the particular code for each of A2A's aircraft sits on top of that.

Like you say, we'll have to wait for when/if A2A release more details of how they've implemented AccuSim and the Comanche.
I don't think that's true. In the same way environment data is being fed in the internal flight model, it could also be routed to an external one. Either way, this is all speculating. Microsobo won't talk about this, and I suspect A2A won't be keen on detailing how they're doing things. And it's in their best interest to do so, to be honest, so can't fault them for it.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”