Bravo Throttle - Configurator or FSUIPC4?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Bigfish14
Airman

Bravo Throttle - Configurator or FSUIPC4?

Post by Bigfish14 »

Forgive me posting a 'hardware' query but I've found I always get a better class of answer from The A2A Simulations Community!
An overdue delivery from Santa and I've got my Honeycomb Bravo at last. I've already set up the Alpha using FSUIPC4 (flying FSXSE).
I'm planning to use the Alpha and Bravo for the C172 and Connie, to start with.
I see (various YouTubes) there's what looks like a fairly sophisticated 'configurator' downloadable from Honeycomb, and that programming the lights on the Bravo using FSUIPC4 may involve (presently) mysterious things called LVARs.
Would you recommend I use the configurator for the Bravo (presuming I can carry on with FSUIPC for the Alpha), or stick to FSUIPC4 for both?
As always, I'm very grateful for the wise counsel of those of you who have already been there and done that.
Alan
i9-10900k @5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Hero, 32 Gb DDR4-3600, RTX 2060, Acer Predator X34, FSXSE, Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo, Logitech Pro Pedals

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Re: Bravo Throttle - Configurator or FSUIPC4?

Post by OGfishm0nger »

If you are already using FSUIPC for the Alpha I would suggest sticking with that for the Bravo as well, if only for the theory that sticking to one tool for configuring all of your controls makes more sense to me than trying to use different ones for different controllers.

I've been using the Honeycomb sofware myself since I had no prior experience with FSUIPC and figured why not use the tool made for the job. Whether that was a good decision remains to be seen lol but so far it seems to be working for me. Others here have had similar success with FSUIPC so I'm not sure one tool is inherently better than the other, though obviously FSUIPC can be used for more than just the Honeycomb hardware.

There's a thread in the C172 board here with some scripts for FSUIPC 6 that might be useful, though I'm not sure if they would work with version 4. I'm also planning on posting my Honeycomb Configurator profile for the 172 pretty soon (just need to finish up the documentation) which you may or may not find useful as well if you decide to go the with the Honeycomb software instead.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I'd recommend using the A2A input configurators where you can, then I do like the honeycomb's software to get things set up. It is personal preference.

If you use honeycomb software, here is a good place for some Lvars: http://www.ontheglideslope.net/2016/07/ ... var-lists/

Bigfish14
Airman

Post by Bigfish14 »

Hi OGfishm0nger, thanks so much for your reply. I'd very much like a sight of your configurator profile so thanks for offering to post that. I think I might see what I can accomplish with FSUIPC4 and maybe also try out the configurator. Thanks for the link to the FSUIPC6 thread which I'm sure will be useful. I'll post on here when I've got the throttle working - at the moment I'm figuring out how to mount it, since '1 inch away from the yoke' isn't very realistic for 4-engine planes like the Connie. Maybe I need two positions, with the Alpha and Bravo side by side whe I'm flying the C172...

Just as I was typing this in came twsharp12's response, thanks very much for the link to Lvars, I'll follow that up and try to ascend yet another learning curve!

Best wishes
Alan
i9-10900k @5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Hero, 32 Gb DDR4-3600, RTX 2060, Acer Predator X34, FSXSE, Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo, Logitech Pro Pedals

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Post by OGfishm0nger »

I just posted my profiles in this thread so if you decide to try out the Honeycomb software feel free to take a look. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask. I'm still figuring this out as I go myself so I may not always have an answer but I feel like I've learned a lot already with 2 profiles done so far.

Good luck!

Bigfish14
Airman

Post by Bigfish14 »

Terrific piece of work Dave, thankyou very much! I'm flying FSXSE so your files may or may not work, but just having the axis and button assignments graphically should enable me to recreate them.
Alan

Bigfish14
Airman

Post by Bigfish14 »

I thought it might be helpful if I just record what I actually did in the end, after all your helpful advice.

I tried disabling FSUIPC and just using the Aerosoft configurator for the Alpha and Bravo, but the disadvantage of this was I had to assign and calibrate all the axes in FSXSE's Control Panel, which is a less than ideal process - I couldn't for example get a full range of motion on the throttle. So I adopted a mixed solution, as follows:

1. in FSXSE controls, disable all axes and delete all assignments;
2. assign and calibrate all axes in FSUIPC4 for both Alpha and Bravo (ie main flight controls, and prop pitch, throttles and mixture levers), and for Logitech Pro rudder and toe brakes;
3. assign all buttons and switches on the Alpha using FSUIPC (when I used the Aerosoft configurator with the default Alpha profile, the Avionics Master switches didn't function, and as I'd already programmed the Alpha in FSUIPC using the work-round to get the extended button set beyond #32, I stuck with it)
4. use Bravo configurator - with default profile - to control all the switches and lights - gear, flaps, trim, and most importantly the LEDs (gear, annunciator panel) and AP

All this seems to work just fine with no conflicts apparent (the gear lights going from green to red and then off as the gear goes up are particularly cool) and I've got seven empty switches on the Bravo to play with. I might assign these in FSUIPC, simply because it will automatically detect which aircraft you are flying and load the appropriate profile, whereas I think you have to manually load different profiles for the configurator (if I'm wrong please tell me!).

I have to say the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo have exceeded my already high expectations.

Hope this might be useful to someone.
Alan

OGfishm0nger
Airman

Post by OGfishm0nger »

Bigfish14 wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 05:18 I might assign these in FSUIPC, simply because it will automatically detect which aircraft you are flying and load the appropriate profile, whereas I think you have to manually load different profiles for the configurator (if I'm wrong please tell me!).
Yes that is correct and is certainly a point in FSUIPC's favor.

Sounds like you got everything working the way you want it to which is the most important thing. I also end up using a mixed solution when all is said and done: P3D for the axes, Honeycomb configurator for most of the buttons and lights, and A2A configurator for some things that can't be accessed any other way. This works for me for now but who knows, maybe I'll end up going with FSUIPC for it all at some point.

Happy flying!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”