New Ryzen Computer finally

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

New Ryzen Computer finally

Post by bullfox »

At the beginning of last year I spent a ton of money on components for a new Ryzen system. My son and I have built several systems over the years but I have been out of the loop since my previous system build about ten years ago while he has built eight or ten more systems. Then the virus struck. He was not able to come up until this weekend. Thankfully neither of us caught the virus and now we are both fully vaccinated. I am typing this on my new system. We had one cable connected incorrectly. After we fixed that the system posted beautifully. We still need to down load drivers and reconnect flight sim hardware. I am probably going to go with P3D but haven't loaded any sim yet. More flight sim adventures coming.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: New Ryzen Computer finally

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Congratulations on your new system. I too am fully protected as well.
Though I haven't got a new computer system, I used the stimulus money on another ebike,ebike accessories and 3 Kilowatt- Hour's worth of Lithium Ion battery packs along with two 50 inch 4K Fire Edition Smart TV's and a 8 camera surveillance system. I had unfortunately gained weight during this pandemic but with my battery packs long distance exercise rides are now possible and I am taking long rides.
That Ryzen system is probably a wonder.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very nice bullfox. Any more insight into how it all came together? I remember your previous posts about slowly getting the kit together for the new build. How did you find the build with the Ryzen system, did you use the stock heatsink?

thanks
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Its liquid cooled so we did not use the stock heat sink. On automatic overclock it goes up to 4.65 ghz which is a bit over the stock 4.5 ghz. I have not needed to manually overclock. I have frame rate set at 60 and the sliders are one notch short of all the way up. Frame rates are mostly in the 40s and 50s using P3Dv5.1 and Rex Sky Force with enhanced atmospherics turned off. Visually the display is sometime stunningly beautiful. Sky Force dumped me into a snow storm coming south out of Kelowana. That was an interesting experience watching raindrops and snowflakes (?) bounce of the windshield and watching the snow on the ground gradually build up. Kelowana (CYLW) has become one of my favorite Orbx airports.

I mostly fly the Comanche around the American west. Also, I found it easy to move skins over from my old FSX installation as we put the 1 tb SSD from the old computer in the new machine. My late brother had a Comanche. Years ago Marius created a skin for his Comanche and I was able to move it into the P3D installation. That turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. The main reason I went with P3D instead of MSFS is I had a lot of Orbx scenery free to move over to P3D, and MSFS does not yet have A2A aircraft. Everything looks better and flies better in P3D.

Due to Covid I had not seen my son in over a year. Now we are all fully vaccinated and it was just wonderful to have him with us and working together on the new machine.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh that's awesome Bullfox! the system sounds utterly kick ass and so glad it was something to help bring you and the boy back together as things slowly start to return to normal. Lovely jubbly! Well enjoy the virtual skies, sounds like your all set for when you do try out some new platforms. I gotta say as of the date of this post we have a real golden age of simulation loads to experience across so many platforms. Your system is certainly ready for when you are able to experiment 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I got my Ryzen in the middle of the fuss. Last June.
My life didn't change. Worked full time plus, went were I could. Not too much different.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”