Loosing sound in and out all the time

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Legion
Airman

Loosing sound in and out all the time

Post by Legion »

Hey guys why am I loosing sound levels all the time all of a sudden. When the ATC chatter is heard the sound drops to low. When they stop speaking i sort of comes back but then it dose it even-tho they aren't.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Loosing sound in and out all the time

Post by AKar »

Recent Windows update did something weird, I think related to the Realtek audio drivers.

A fairly annoying workaround is to open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound. Then click Sound, and select Communications tab.

Make sure that the radio button is selected on Do nothing. If it is, then select something else and press Apply. Then select Do nothing again, and press Apply one more time. This I guess kind of forces the Do nothing option to be on again, as the system apparently kind of forgets it in the background.

Sometimes I've had to do this a couple of times for it to work.

-Esa

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

The same problem started on my new Ryzen system. It had been running for about a week. I was forced to update Win 10 and then the same sound problem cropped up and I had my first system crash.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

The "Do Nothing" option didn't help with my particular setup. Here's what works for me:

Click right on the little speakers icon on the right side of the tool bar, and then click left on "Open volume mixer."

Then start Prepare 3D. Once P3D has launched, hit the [Alt] key to get the menu, select Options, General. Then select Sound. Notice the panel where it says "Windows Sound Devices." That's where I am right now, and I can select different options for "Primary Playback Device," "Voice Playback Device," and "Voice Capture Device." Right now my choices are all default. I change them to whatever device I am using for this flight. I set the first two options to "Speakers (high definition audio device)." If I'm doing an MP flight where I'm wearing my G909 Pro headset, I select "Speakers (G909 Pro)" for the first two options, and "Microphone (G909 Pro)" for the third option.

Usually the volume remains constant, even when I check with ATC. Sometimes I notice a volume drop when I first start the sim, but then I hit [Alt]+[Tab] to get to the volume mixer and slide the P3D sound level up, where it stays for the remainder of the flight.

Hope this works for you.

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 27 Apr 2021, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Thanks for this. I'm using P3DV4.5 more often these days, and found the recent drop in sound annoying. The "Do nothing" change worked for me. :D

Cheers,
Michael
ImageImageImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 23:07 The "Do nothing" change worked for me. :D
I find myself trying to remember to do that every time just before I fire up the sim. The issue does not return every time I forget to do that, but if it does, it is annoying to resolve if the sim is already running. At least the P3Dv4/v5 do not crash anymore on regular basis when switching between windowed and back like the good old FSX! :)

-Esa

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have it working correctly for now. I changed the audio source in the P3D sound control window. That seems to have confused the system enough for it to work correctly for the time being.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”