I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Re: I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

Post by Waffler11 »

Mustang wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 07:31
Jigsaw wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 06:04Yeah, this kind of sudden downdraft ist the most likely reason for the many missing and crashed aircraft in the Nevada Triangle (Sierra Nevada mountain range). Here is an interesting documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/A9go-aoYRI4
MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.
You’re not kidding. I once did a flight from a small airport outside Monument Valley to Montrose, CO and the altimeter would drop or gain more than an inch suddenly. It was ridiculous.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

AKar wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 11:51
Mustang wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 07:31 MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.
In what sort of wind and terrain conditions? These should not come out of nowhere, as the cause of lift on the upwind hillside and of the sink on the leeside is that the wind is physically forced to move vertically by the obstacle. 2000 fpm is about 10 meters per second (about 19 knots) of directly vertical component. This certainly does happen in reality with proper terrain and suitable conditions, but both of those should be present.

-Esa
It can happen in quite varied conditions, to be honest. The most intense time for me was when flying over the Andes in the TBM-930 one time, while also passing through and near the cloud tops. I also saw some significant ups & downs in a recording of a livestream by The Flying Fabio while in and out of heavy cloud over the ocean, so that suggests the convective cloud activity was the cause rather than any terrain. That led him to talk about the story of the paraglider that was sucked up to 20,000ft in a thunderstorm and lived to tell the tale. Having done a quick search, there's another one that has been even higher and reached 4000fpm in the climb... an incredibly lucky lady: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewa_Wi%C5%9Bnierska

I'm normally flying VFR down low so haven't been through a great many clouds yet. Probably just as well :o

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Mustang wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 07:31 MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.
Never really liked that. I understand their point, but I don't think they're doing anyone a favour with that, really. Unfortunately, such up/downdrafts are part of aviation. Maybe they should have had some sort of option to turn down the atmospheric effects, rather than a hard cap. And I don't think they did it cause people complain, cause people complained about this change too.. well, unless Microsobo cares more about certain people's complaints than others'...

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Waffler11 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 13:50
Mustang wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 07:31
Jigsaw wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 06:04Yeah, this kind of sudden downdraft ist the most likely reason for the many missing and crashed aircraft in the Nevada Triangle (Sierra Nevada mountain range). Here is an interesting documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/A9go-aoYRI4
MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.
You’re not kidding. I once did a flight from a small airport outside Monument Valley to Montrose, CO and the altimeter would drop or gain more than an inch suddenly. It was ridiculous.
I don't think what you're experiencing is up/downdrafts. Sounds to me like the weather smoothing bug. Looks like FS2020 downloads weather data from Meteoblue in chunks. Not sure how big they are, but they are probably measured in miles. Looks like there are problems with the transitions between chunks, especially when it comes to pressure. Looks like Asobo did a pretty good job with the visual transition (even though at some point there were some screenshots of clouds being cut horizontally at chunk transitions, but I think they fixed that), but as it is with the entirety of the weather system, temperature, pressure, and dewpoint are very, very rough around the edges. So you will have these jumps in pressure quite a lot, depending on where you're flying. I had some very violent ones over Zion National Park. There is a topic about this here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pr ... /341853/18

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

cristi.neagu wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 04:29
Never really liked that. I understand their point, but I don't think they're doing anyone a favour with that, really. Unfortunately, such up/downdrafts are part of aviation. Maybe they should have had some sort of option to turn down the atmospheric effects, rather than a hard cap. And I don't think they did it cause people complain, cause people complained about this change too.. well, unless Microsobo cares more about certain people's complaints than others'...

I think they did that because in the sim the only way to tell whether you’re in a down/updraft, be it a thermal or next to a mountain, is a look at the VSI. In a real airplane you feel that and take appropriate actions immediately and reflexively. In reality even if you drive the flaps you feel it in your stomach but in the sim you need to look at the VSI. So I think it‘s plausible why they did that.

cowboy10uk
Airman

Post by cowboy10uk »

Hi all, it’s been a while.

Now I will freely admit that I have made the transition over to MSFS right at the start, and since then I haven’t even booted P3D or Xplane up.

I thought I would try and give a honest opinion on MSFS from someone who has been using it from start of Beta until now.

As most of you have stated, the graphics are just stunning out of the box.

I’ve started a round the world tour again, and where in P3D, think my posts were back in 2017 the last time I did this, once I got away from the heavily populated areas and Orbx scenery etc, the ground textures took a massive dive and although were ok, weren’t particularly realistic for the areas I was transiting.

Here out of the box with the streaming satellite tech MSFS uses, everywhere looks amazing. Transited Saudi Arabia from Egypt yesterday and I truely had fully photo realistic scenery the entire way.

Weather wise, In my sim career I have used weather engines in all of them, normally active sky I think, And while granted sometimes you do find discrepancies in the MSFS weather engine to what is truly happening out side, the vast majority of the time it’s pretty good and again looks stunning, looking out and seeing a double rainbow, is something I’ll never get tired off.

It’s also the first sim, where storms actually scare me.

In other sims I have normally not taken much notice of storm cells and just plod on regardless, here they actually kill you. (which I found out the hard way over the alps, after first swapping over )

AI traffic, God I miss traffic programs, from FSX, P3D or Xplane. Yes MSFS is meant to have real world AI traffic out of the box, BUT the skies are empty, the airports are ghost towns, even the big main airports. It’s probably the most disappointing thing I have about MSFS.

ATC, it’s as bad as all the other sims on the market. Thank god for online ATC or Pilot2atc to kinda fill the gap. But let’s be honest here. NO sim has ever managed to produce a realistic ATC system yet.

Aircraft realism, ok like all sims that are out there, out of the box this is significantly lacking. Especially if you are used to the absolutely stunning aircraft from A2A. As you guys are on this forums, then that certainly includes us.

Now although it’s taken a bit of time, this is starting to improve, Granted not to A2A standards YET, only A2A can solve that issue, BUT the community has produced some stunning free mods which significantly improve the realism on both the aircraft and avionics side of things. If you want heavy metal, check out the FREE A320 neo mod by Flybywire. Just Amazing

We are starting to get some great aircraft modules on the sim as well, such as the Just Flight Arrow, PMDG DC6, or CRJ 500/700, so slowly but surely developers are finding ways to develop for MSFS.

Again, NONE are A2A standard and I cannot wait to be able to use A2A aircraft again, with the combination of their realism and the amazing in game graphics of MSFS should be a marriage in heaven.

Flight model, honestly as a layman who has used sims for decades.

Started with Microsoft flight simulator in 89, followed by 98, 2000, 2002, 2004, X, P3D 1, 2, & 3 and Xplane 11, I honestly cannot tell any difference in the out of the box flight model between MSFS or any of the above.

Granted I don’t fly by the numbers and to be fair I would be the worlds worst pilot in real life, BUT as someone who has a love of aviation and flight simulation, it feels good enough for me.

Again I fully understand why some won’t want to transition over just yet, especially if their favourite aircraft developer hasn’t got any products in the sim yet, IF they are Helo pilots. ( I do miss my Helos dreadfully ) OR if they have spent significant amounts of money upgrading their current sim.

( I had spent quite a bit on P3D I will admit, and it was a big decision to jump ship, first to Xplane 11, as I thought as a lot of stuff was free that would reduce my spending ( really regret that move ) and then to MSFS ), I’ve now spent significant sums on MSFS on airports and scenery. Have purchased pretty much the entire Orbx range at this current time.

My point I think is no sim is truely better than another, we are sim pilots, go for the sim that gives you the most pleasure.

Use the sim that allows you to fly your favourite aircraft. While I do see huge potential in MSFS, we are still a LONG way to go until we get flight sim perfection.

Personally I won’t be heading back to other sims, purely as I do LOVE the graphical upgrades, and the aircraft realism is now starting to improve, it’s only a matter of time before we get A2A in the sim, I’m positive that will happen, PMDG are already here, and the future is rather rosey from where I’m sitting.
ImageImage

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

cowboy10uk wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 05:35 Aircraft realism, ok like all sims that are out there, out of the box this is significantly lacking. Especially if you are used to the absolutely stunning aircraft from A2A. As you guys are on this forums, then that certainly includes us.

Now although it’s taken a bit of time, this is starting to improve, Granted not to A2A standards YET, only A2A can solve that issue, BUT the community has produced some stunning free mods which significantly improve the realism on both the aircraft and avionics side of things. If you want heavy metal, check out the FREE A320 neo mod by Flybywire. Just Amazing

We are starting to get some great aircraft modules on the sim as well, such as the Just Flight Arrow, PMDG DC6, or CRJ 500/700, so slowly but surely developers are finding ways to develop for MSFS.

Again, NONE are A2A standard and I cannot wait to be able to use A2A aircraft again, with the combination of their realism and the amazing in game graphics of MSFS should be a marriage in heaven.
Have you tried the Working Title mod of the CJ4? It makes it probably far and away the best plane in MSFS (at least insofar as Asobo standard included planes go). I don't know if you're a bizjet kind of guy, but I find myself flying this bird over and over. The work the guys over at Working Title put into it is nothing short of amazing.

The next major update is only days away and this one promises to be a game-changer, not just because of performance updates, but also because of the upcoming implementation of the Garmin NXi to replace all G1000 glass cockpits (again, courtesy of the Working Title team).

cowboy10uk
Airman

Post by cowboy10uk »

Waffler11 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 09:01
cowboy10uk wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 05:35 Aircraft realism, ok like all sims that are out there, out of the box this is significantly lacking. Especially if you are used to the absolutely stunning aircraft from A2A. As you guys are on this forums, then that certainly includes us.

Have you tried the Working Title mod of the CJ4? It makes it probably far and away the best plane in MSFS (at least insofar as Asobo standard included planes go). I don't know if you're a bizjet kind of guy, but I find myself flying this bird over and over. The work the guys over at Working Title put into it is nothing short of amazing.

The next major update is only days away and this one promises to be a game-changer, not just because of performance updates, but also because of the upcoming implementation of the Garmin NXi to replace all G1000 glass cockpits (again, courtesy of the Working Title team).
Hi mate, no can’t say I have. Tend to use the TBM 930 and realism mod, flybywire A320 and the g1000, 3000 and GTN 750 mods. I’ll have a look at that one, and it might make it into my hangar. That said, I don’t think I’ve ever sat in the stock business jet either.
ImageImage

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

cowboy10uk wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 11:01 Hi mate, no can’t say I have. Tend to use the TBM 930 and realism mod, flybywire A320 and the g1000, 3000 and GTN 750 mods. I’ll have a look at that one, and it might make it into my hangar. That said, I don’t think I’ve ever sat in the stock business jet either.
Well, the mod is by the same folks who created the Garmin mods, so it's in good hands.

I will say, however, there's a bit of a learning curve with the CJ4, particularly with its FMS system, which takes some getting used to. After a few flights, however, there was no going back! If I'm not mistaken, I think this is the only plane in MSFS with a properly functional VNAV (default AND add-ons). The FADEC engine makes this bird a breeze to start up and fly. Honestly, the only thing I really needed to work on was to prevent the jet from getting away from me speed-wise. It *really* wants to be unleashed and you have to rein her back in a bit.

That said, they've written up a very thorough guide and there are, of course, quite a few videos out there.

https://www.workingtitle.aero/

Fastback
Airman First Class

Post by Fastback »

WB_FlashOver wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 08:02 Fastback
Absolutely LOVE the skin.
Thanks WB, I did it for a friend :)

zazaboeing
Senior Airman

Post by zazaboeing »

Scott - A2A wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 06:43 We have one final thing that needs to work for our technology to come into MSFS. We are dependent on another entity for this to happen. If it turns out this doesn't happen for whatever reason we do have a plan B but we want to completely exhaust all options before moving to this next solution.

We have no interest in moving sideways with development and there are certain things we have wanted to make happen for a long time which I am insistent happen on any next Accu-Sim release. I wish I could be less cryptic about this stuff but it's a sensitive subject to us because our our ability to release has been hung up from this one single thing that must happen.

Once this hurdle is overcome sky is the limit.

Scott.
Any news on this Scott?

frankattilio
Airman

Post by frankattilio »

zazaboeing wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 05:58
Scott - A2A wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 06:43 We have one final thing that needs to work for our technology to come into MSFS. We are dependent on another entity for this to happen. If it turns out this doesn't happen for whatever reason we do have a plan B but we want to completely exhaust all options before moving to this next solution.

We have no interest in moving sideways with development and there are certain things we have wanted to make happen for a long time which I am insistent happen on any next Accu-Sim release. I wish I could be less cryptic about this stuff but it's a sensitive subject to us because our our ability to release has been hung up from this one single thing that must happen.

Scott.
Any news on this Scott?
I just read an article about new updates from "another famous third party developer" and I immediately come here to see if there was any news at all on this matter.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

frankattilio wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 04:34
zazaboeing wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 05:58

Scott.
Any news on this Scott?
I just read an article about new updates from "another famous third party developer" and I immediately come here to see if there was any news at all on this matter.
Who’s the other famous developer? Aerosoft?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”