I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Fastback
Airman First Class

Re: I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

Post by Fastback »

After moving over to MSFS 2020 I have not gone back to P3D, there is just no way even tho I am missing out on flying all my A2A aircraft. PMDG have just released their DC-6 for MSFS and it is amazing and will happily keep me occupied until all my favorite A2A planes get released.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

Yes, the DC-6 is surely something, I'm enjoying it too!
cristi.neagu wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 19:41
jeepinforfun wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 16:15 If the camera in MSFS moved about some than wouldn't the view of the landmass move too?
I would expect it to, yes. But it may be hard to tell, as the scenery is pretty far away. But like I said, I think it's far more likely that the plane in FS2020 moves around more than in P3D, especially if we're talking about planes that use the default flight model.
The movement in MSFS is definitely coming from the aircraft, with the camera 'lagging' behind to re-centre it in the frame. I was curious about the updraughts and downdraughts so made a video using a fixed camera point. I've also had a couple of sudden moments of turbulence which rolled the aircraft (C172) about 20°, something I'd never experienced with FSX and ActiveSky. Keeps you on your toes.

There's still work to do but the atmosphere is very much alive in MSFS and for me, it gives a great feeling of flight (until you reach the edges of the flight envelope). It was stated in a dev livestream that you can potentially get one wing in a thermal and one wing not. However, the presence of thermals hasn't been noticeable for me yet, just the effects of wind blowing over uneven terrain. On flat terrain you only tend to get horizontal gusts when it's windy causing yaw effects; nothing vertical for now. As far as I can tell.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Mustang wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 18:15 . On flat terrain you only tend to get horizontal gusts when it's windy causing yaw effects; nothing vertical for now. As far as I can tell.
Get close to the hills and mountains in a little cub in Norway, experienced my first proper down draft yesterday, little close to mountain side and whoosh, felt like I just dropped 100ft, I was in VR it was very surreal. Like someone just pushed down on the plane from above.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Fastback
Absolutely LOVE the skin.
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I'm still sitting on the fence, for now. Several guys in my flight sim club are encouraging me to get it, but I have a few projects in the works first.

I HATE that I have spent so much time, effort and money to get P3D (5) working and looking so good! I just know that I'll never fly it again if I get MSFS (after A2A releases several "required" aircraft" :mrgreen: )

I'm building a detailed version of KOCF, and need to get it finished for P3Dv5. I already have FSX, P3D (4 and 5) on my system. FSX is for testing ONLY, (I never fly it anymore), P3D 4 is because I have the VRS F/A-18, which is still the best military aircraft I own, and yet it looks like it's never going to be updated to V5. :cry: And I only fly V5.

Once I get KOCF finished for V5, I will most likely get MSFS (even though I really don't want it until "they" have fixed 90% of it) and update KOCF for MSFS. The stock KOCF SUCKS! I'm not interested in making the airport and having to constantly update it (if necessary) until "they" get their act together.

Otherwise, I would have already purchased it. It does look great!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

We are certainly spoiled in this community. Competition between companies often brings out the best in all. Super excited to see where things lead in the next 5 years!

Waffler11
A2A Mechanic

Post by Waffler11 »

Well, a good time to pick up MSFS2020 would probably be on the 27th or after as Update V is slated to be released that day (along with the Xbox version). It's reported to contain massive performance improvements and I believe we'll be seeing some significant changes and improvements to the sim in general. It's looking like this update will vault MSFS up another level.

The drawback? Gigabytes upon gigabytes of updates to install which, depending on your internet speeds, could take a very long time. Check to see if your ISP has data caps too as this could affect your internet performance and/or billing as well.

I've been flying the Working Title mod of the CJ4 and having a blast. Like all of you, I'm patiently waiting for A2A to release the planes they're working on for MSFS, particularly the Comanche, but there's plenty to do in this virtual world until then. Don't deny yourself the fun!

Soapbox time: Data caps is the stupidest thing, if you ask me, due to the telecom industry hamstringing the end-users by lobbying congress to stick to the old and archaic ways because those "ways" rake in the bucks...sometimes capitalism ain't it all it's cracked up to be. Sorry, went way off on a tangent.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Waffler11 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 13:14 Soapbox time: Data caps is the stupidest thing, if you ask me, due to the telecom industry hamstringing the end-users by lobbying congress to stick to the old and archaic ways because those "ways" rake in the bucks...sometimes capitalism ain't it all it's cracked up to be. Sorry, went way off on a tangent.
I guess that's a way to market fast connections and cheap prices with network infra that can't sustain them in real. It really sucks if one has no or little options, which is the thing with telecomms in many parts of the world. More so, if 'natural monopolies' are regulated by folks not really understanding technical and business environments they operate in.

Nowadays I'm lucky, having a 1000 Mbps nominal, "600 Mbps usual" (really, they say that!) connection, that averages at around 900 Mbps with no data caps. Not very-very cheap though, 40 eur/month, but that's VAT inclusive. But I also used to live in rural, I'd hate to keep my DCS up to date there with 20 gigs downloaded regularly via airlink....

-Esa

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

twsharp12 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:57 We are certainly spoiled in this community. Competition between companies often brings out the best in all. Super excited to see where things lead in the next 5 years!
Robert Randazzo spoke about the DC3 as a possible vanity project. Now imagine this vanity project as a cooperation with A2A… PMDG‘s knowledge of the aircraft and A2A‘s magic with radial engines :D a PMDG-A2A Accusim Clipper Tabitha May. Competition and friendship would bring out the best of the best lol

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MarcE wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 17:02
twsharp12 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:57 We are certainly spoiled in this community. Competition between companies often brings out the best in all. Super excited to see where things lead in the next 5 years!
Robert Randazzo spoke about the DC3 as a possible vanity project. Now imagine this vanity project as a cooperation with A2A… PMDG‘s knowledge of the aircraft and A2A‘s magic with radial engines :D a PMDG-A2A Accusim Clipper Tabitha May. Competition and friendship would bring out the best of the best lol
My repaint of Tabitha May

I don't suppose the textures would fit an MFS model. :(
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 07:43
Mustang wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 18:15 . On flat terrain you only tend to get horizontal gusts when it's windy causing yaw effects; nothing vertical for now. As far as I can tell.
Get close to the hills and mountains in a little cub in Norway, experienced my first proper down draft yesterday, little close to mountain side and whoosh, felt like I just dropped 100ft, I was in VR it was very surreal. Like someone just pushed down on the plane from above.

thanks
Lewis
Exactly, it can be quite sudden and sharp. Here's the video I mentioned (made to illustrate some points I discussed on the MSFS forums) showing some of the very natural (IMO) effects around mildly hilly terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqto6sRphuE

And another one showing very UNnatural gusty winds which are awful. However, this was manually configured weather and a bit more extreme than tends to happen with live weather. Then a sudden downdraught shown at the end, but I later made the one above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9HTYsaFezo

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

MarcE wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 17:02
More important A2A‘s knowledge on taildraggers 😳. Imagine handling that beast in the sim. One can only dream…
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Mustang wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:04
Lewis - A2A wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 07:43

thanks
Lewis
Exactly, it can be quite sudden and sharp. Here's the video I mentioned (made to illustrate some points I discussed on the MSFS forums) showing some of the very natural (IMO) effects around mildly hilly terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqto6sRphuE
Yeah, this kind of sudden downdraft ist the most likely reason for the many missing and crashed aircraft in the Nevada Triangle (Sierra Nevada mountain range). Here is an interesting documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/A9go-aoYRI4
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

Jigsaw wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 06:04Yeah, this kind of sudden downdraft ist the most likely reason for the many missing and crashed aircraft in the Nevada Triangle (Sierra Nevada mountain range). Here is an interesting documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/A9go-aoYRI4
Unfortunately that video is not available to watch in the UK, but thanks anyway. Obviously there are technical ways and means around that but not something I'm prepared to do.

MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Mustang wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 07:31 MSFS has some seriously intense vertical air movement around mountains - such that they have capped it at something like +/- 2000ft/min for now (mentioned in a livestream) to avoid trouble, presumably because it will result in a lot of failed flights (overstressed) or people complaining, or the fact you can't really tell which clouds are dangerous as they mostly look alike, and so you might fly into a dangerous situation unknowingly.
In what sort of wind and terrain conditions? These should not come out of nowhere, as the cause of lift on the upwind hillside and of the sink on the leeside is that the wind is physically forced to move vertically by the obstacle. 2000 fpm is about 10 meters per second (about 19 knots) of directly vertical component. This certainly does happen in reality with proper terrain and suitable conditions, but both of those should be present.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”