I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: I am not getting MSFS2020 until...

Post by bullfox »

I am having second thoughts about spending money on MSFS 2020 mainly because P3Dv5.2 with hot fix 1 works really, really good.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Rioku wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 13:37
Ron Attwood wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 06:35
Rioku wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 15:42

You are not alone.

I still fly FSX and as you, no A2A no party in FS20.
It's called "Cutting off your nose to spite your face". But then it's your face, do what you like to it. :D I've yet to meet anyone who says getting MFS is the worse thing I've ever done.

For me the priority is not graphics, the priority is realism.
That goes without saying but still goes hand in hand. Imagine the best Accusim aircraft ever, 100% correct behaviour, a Level-D simulator of lets say a Comanche to stay with the obvious. In a world that looks like FS98. How long would you have fun? When would it get boring. Realism also means to look out and feel comfortable with the surroundings. Flying realistic VFR means to look out and fly by the rivers, towers, highway crossings etc. VFR Reporting points in (default) P3D are mostly assumed, could be here but could be there too. In the end you start to type the coordinates into your GTN. That's what I did when I tried to find a meadow in the Inn valley near Innsbruck where we fly skydivers from. The Inn was somewhere close but on the wrong side, the highway was somewhere too. In MSFS I flew there with my eyes only, even found the Skyvan being parked there (in the sat picture) and flew the correct approach over the hill, flew over the blue roof at 400ft and landed shortly behind it. It looked just as I know it. From there I picked the DV20 and flew to my local aerodrome, EDTQ. I flew the correct noise abatement approach via two reporting points that are perfectly visible in MSFS, no chance at all in P3D.

Currently for a proper implementation of Accusim and for proper procedure training P3D is the only and best sim. You get everything there except the point of properly flown VFR. And that's exactly what a military or procedure/familiarisation trainer is not designed for.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

For me flying is all about seeing the world from the sky. Learning to operate aircraft, preferrably as realistically as possible, is a great addition but certainly not my main appeal for flight simming. That's why i can't go back to FSX or P3D, even if that means leaving my precious A2A aircraft behind. To me those sims look like a cartoon compared to MSFS now. Can't do it.

Having said that: can't wait for the first A2A aircraft making its appearance in MSFS. It's almost a year since MSFS hit the market. It sure is time! :)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

makapala
Airman

Post by makapala »

I have MSFS but the rudder problem and the strange behaviour of my saitek quadrant stop me using it. Also, if Asobo cracked proper SIDS and STARS rather than P3D’s rando rando vectors to final, that would be a game changer.

David

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

...A2A airplanes show up!

Yep, I said that right initially...and then bought it a week later hahaha! I bought the Standard version because I didn't see the point in paying for additional airplanes I'd never fly or airports I'd likely never visit. I've since added sceneries and a few airplanes and it hasn't all been fun, but after almost a year, my investment in MSFS is a fraction of what I've spent on P3D, A2A and Orbx. Yes, I still run P3D for my primary sim and didn't go all in to MSFS and dump everything else as others have done and will not do that unless all of my A2A fleet is up and running on MSFS and I'm quite happy with that situation for now.

It's pretty simple really...if you want to fly the A2A airplanes, fly them on whatever platform you have for them. If you want MSFS graphics, fly there with what's available for airplanes. Each to his own and that's why flight simming can be something for everyone.

Quite frankly, I completely agree with Captain Ron about the "cutting off your nose" thing...and I also think that if you can't find something to like and enjoy about MSFS, the problem may just be that you don't have the imagination or something like that... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 13:17 Quite frankly, I completely agree with Captain Ron about the "cutting off your nose" thing...and I also think that if you can't find something to like and enjoy about MSFS, the problem may just be that you don't have the imagination or something like that... :mrgreen:
It's not a problem of not finding anything to enjoy. It's a problem of the downsides outweighing the benefits. Many people want reliable weather, realistic flight models, realistic avionics, and those things matter to them more than graphics.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

Just keep your 20 year old sims for the next 20 years then.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

jsbrewster1 wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 22:35 Just keep your 20 year old sims for the next 20 years then.
An uncalled for overreaction which is sadly typical of the elitist FS2020 fanboys.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

cristi.neagu wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 14:29 It's not a problem of not finding anything to enjoy. It's a problem of the downsides outweighing the benefits. Many people want reliable weather, realistic flight models, realistic avionics, and those things matter to them more than graphics.
Well there ya’ go…and that’s why flight simming is a great hobby…something for everyone and there’s no “wrong way”. For me, the benefits far outweigh the downside and I’m thinking it’s very presumptuous of you to assume that graphics are all I appreciate about MSFS.
cristi.neagu wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 22:41
jsbrewster1 wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 22:35 Just keep your 20 year old sims for the next 20 years then.
An uncalled for overreaction which is sadly typical of the elitist FS2020 fanboys.
Also an uncalled for overreaction and insulting to boot…well played!!! :roll:
By the way, the sim is MSFS……

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 07:35
cristi.neagu wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 14:29 It's not a problem of not finding anything to enjoy. It's a problem of the downsides outweighing the benefits. Many people want reliable weather, realistic flight models, realistic avionics, and those things matter to them more than graphics.
Well there ya’ go…and that’s why flight simming is a great hobby…something for everyone and there’s no “wrong way”. For me, the benefits far outweigh the downside and I’m thinking it’s very presumptuous of you to assume that graphics are all I appreciate about MSFS.

Cheers,
Rob
All i'm going to say is this: I am tired of narrow minded people that respond to fair criticism with "go back to your ancient sim then!". Pointing out such elitism and intolerance is not uncalled for, and it is not an overreaction. Furthermore, calling someone a fanboy (someone who has an obsessive fixation on something and is often hostile to criticism of said thing) when they have an obsessive fixation with FS2020 and they're hostile to criticism of FS2020 is not an insult, it is an observation.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

My personal opinion is that I do not like MSFS as it is right now and always fly P3D. Unfortunately, developers are leaving P3D in the dust, which makes me sad, but at least we have a plethora of content for v5. 15 birds from A2A should last anyone a very long time.

I'll be watching closely how MSFS develops with all the add-on developers focusing on that platform, as they are what make any simulator shine. At the end of the day, I'm glad we have options, and I don't understand anyone being insulted one way or the other if someone prefers one simulator over the other.

Remember, the companies that made these simulators are multi-billion dollar companies and we owe nobody any loyalty as those companies probably care little for us. Let's stick together as a community, support our add-on developers, and continue pushing flight simulating to its limits.

If we show anyone loyalty, lets give it all to A2A, regardless of what platform they develop on. Those guys are great examples of people who care for their customers.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

twsharp12 wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 08:55 Remember, the companies that made these simulators are multi-billion dollar companies and we owe nobody any loyalty as those companies probably care little for us. Let's stick together as a community, support our add-on developers, and continue pushing flight simulating to its limits.

If we show anyone loyalty, lets give it all to A2A, regardless of what platform they develop on. Those guys are great examples of people who care for their customers.
Well written :!:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

Regarding the original post. It seems many people are waiting for an A2A aircraft before buying MSFS. Personally, I purchased MSFS when it first came out, have experienced the improvements, and have watched tons of videos on how to adjust settings. Definitely I miss A2A and return to FSX SE to fly them from time to time.

Here is something I think some may want to consider. If your plan is to buy MSFS with the next A2A plane, you might want to remember that MSFS will be a new platform to you. Beyond the download time (up to a day or so), you will need some time to learn the interfaces, adjust settings to match your preferences and particular controllers, and become accustomed to the MSFS manner of doing things. Learning a new A2A aircraft and a new platform at the same time may be enjoyable, but then again it may not. At this point, I think I have a confidence in using MSFS so that when (soon?!) A2A offers an aircraft I will be able to concentrate on learning the airplane.

My comment adds nothing to the merits of MSFS vis-a-vis any other product. I simply observe that if your future does include MSFS you might want to think about getting and learning the platform now so you are ready for A2A.

Wayne

Thomas Pritchard
Airman

Post by Thomas Pritchard »

cristi.neagu wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 07:53

Cheers,
Rob
All i'm going to say is this: I am tired of narrow minded people that respond to fair criticism with "go back to your ancient sim then!". Pointing out such elitism and intolerance is not uncalled for, and it is not an overreaction. Furthermore, calling someone a fanboy (someone who has an obsessive fixation on something and is often hostile to criticism of said thing) when they have an obsessive fixation with FS2020 and they're hostile to criticism of FS2020 is not an insult, it is an observation.
I find it funny how you keep talking about elitism. It seems to me that you are the one with the elitism mentality. Most of the MSFS "fanboys" are simply enjoying their product and growing tired of all the "doesn't meet up to my high standards" insults.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Thomas Pritchard wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:50
cristi.neagu wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 07:53

Cheers,
Rob
I find it funny how you keep talking about elitism. It seems to me that you are the one with the elitism mentality. Most of the MSFS "fanboys" are simply enjoying their product and growing tired of all the "doesn't meet up to my high standards" insults.
Most P3D users are also enjoying their product and are growing tired of all the "if you don't buy into FS2020 right now, you're an elitist stick in the mud who hates progress". I don't go around telling people that they're wrong for choosing a sim over another. I invite you to find any one of my comments where I responded to anyone criticizing P3D, FSX, or X-Plane by telling them the equivalent of "Just keep your 20 year old sims for the next 20 years then". Go ahead and show any of my comments where i exhibited any such "elitism mentality". It may be because i'm biased and i see things only from one side of the aisle, but all this elitist "go back to your sim" attitude seems to come from one community in particular.

This thread has had a number of people giving their reasons for still sticking with P3D. None of them seemed unreasonable to me. We have also had a number of people giving their reasons for why they chose to move to FS2020. Again, no one was unreasonable. So how can anyone justify posting "Just keep your 20 year old sims for the next 20 years then" in a thread where people are discussing their choices, their likes and dislikes, in a honest, civil manner?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”