WIN10 to be replaced with WIN11

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

WIN10 to be replaced with WIN11

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
On the BBC news today , Microsoft have announced WIN10 will be replaced with WIN11 , so much for thier statement that WIN10 would be the final WIN operating system , i knew this would happen right from get go of WIN10 .
regards Alan. 8)

einherz
Master Sergeant

Re: WIN10 to be replaced with WIN11

Post by einherz »

leaked version stay use win10 kernel, so may be this is only cosmetic and some group, services politic, so may be it's really stay win10 as they told us
rank is not classified airman - forum's engine glitch(again!)

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Win 10 20H2, win11, I don‘t care how they name it, I can‘t avoid it anyway with these sims.

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

There does seem to be more DRM in Win 11 and just on a practical note - a lot won’t be able to upgrade to it. There seems to be a generational CPU requirement where Win 11 won’t run on older CPUs. This is a big change for MS - a lot of hardware is going to be stuck on Windows 10. I saw the dividing line somewhere but forget the actual line.

There is also a TPM requirement. TPM is a Trusted Platform Module. Still learning about TPM but it seems to be a cryptographic chip or software that allows more secure authentication and authorizations and DRM. It’s also used in the disk encryption stuff. TPM also seems the reason for hardware orphanage for various capabilities.

The whole TPM thing was already supposed to be in place but was postponed. As a result, much hardware is missing the capabilities. For many motherboards, it means buying a $20-30 accessory board if you want to go the hardware route - though TPM can apparently be implemented in software. My ASUS mobo has a 14-pin connector to plug in a TPM module.

First, Win11 won’t be out for a while. Win10 will still be supported until I think 2025. But TPM module prices have already shot up. Prices were $25-30. Some are now scalping for up to $100. But supposedly you can already do it in software and newer CPUs have TPM functionality in them so many don’t even need a TPM module. Oh, and to make TPM even more fun, there’s at least two standards. Win11 wants TPM 2.0 or higher. 1.2 is out there but Win11 at least as reported now won’t work with 1.2 hardware/software.

I was reading about TPM last night and another big reason for it is to defeat malware. The threats have changed and gotten more sophisticated. Another role for TPM is to guarantee that hardware and BIOS is unmodified by other parties. If I interpret what I read correctly, TPM allows guaranteeing that nobody has added drives or what have you, or more importantly, has added malware to your BIOS firmware. That seems to be a big up and coming threat - modify the computer BIOS to enable and hide compromise but TPM somehow reveals that if it has happened. And this is a real threat.

Governments see the internet as a battlefield and all our computers are sheep to be recruited as foot soldiers should they ever be needed for war duty. IMO, this should be outlawed by Geneva Conventions but it has become a fact of life. Others see our computers and salivate for free cycles and electricity, stepping stones to attack other systems, dead drops for naughty photos/videos or espionage, etc. It’s all very cold and calculated. Ideally you never realize your system has been compromised. And before anyone says their systems have never been compromised - it’s that you know of. The days of telling you your system has been pwned are over unless you get hit by ransomeware. Otherwise, hackers will even harden your machine so others can’t take it. The internet is a very hostile place with near constant intrusion attempts.

How much of that can be stopped by TPM? No idea but assuring the BIOS integrity is solid is a step. Mostly I think TPM is driven by DRM but still much more to learn. More of that good computer goodness. I sure do love Linux. Just wish FS2020 ran on it.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/2255 ... t-security
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Pretty unreliable soldier if all you need to do is pull the plug.

TuFun
Senior Airman

Post by TuFun »

I'm running an Aorus Pro z390 with 9600K CPU and EVGA 1060 6GB. The board has a TPM header but I enabled PTT in the BIOS to do the same trick.
Passes the Windows 11 requirements. With PTT disabled... failed.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

TuFun wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 02:20 I'm running an Aorus Pro z390 with 9600K CPU and EVGA 1060 6GB. The board has a TPM header but I enabled PTT in the BIOS to do the same trick.
Passes the Windows 11 requirements. With PTT disabled... failed.
Same for me. I thought I may need a GC-TPM2.0_S. Can't find any of those for love nor money. Enabled PTT and Bob's your auntie. :wink:

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

MarcE wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 15:05 Pretty unreliable soldier if all you need to do is pull the plug.
Because everyone knows their computer’s status and knows to pull that plug, right? :roll:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

So, tell me again: these f***ers will eventually force me to retire my i5 2500K!? :shock: Even if I just installed a fresh Win10 June last year!? :shock:

Who would have thought that it was not the ever spec-hungrier selection of flight sims but the O/S itself that will push my hardware into obsolescence!

:wink:

-Esa

p.s. I really do still run an i5 2500K and I really did only upgrade to Win10 last summer! :mrgreen:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I think they say end of win 10 life is 2024 so you'll have a few years after that, so plenty of time yet!

Software wise you can expect it to start potentially requiring the new OS by 2024 depending on the software.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

AerialShorts wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 07:12
MarcE wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 15:05 Pretty unreliable soldier if all you need to do is pull the plug.
Because everyone knows their computer’s status and knows to pull that plug, right? :roll:
I‘m absolutely sure there will be enough people to tell us when when have to put aluminium hats on our pcs.

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

They are saying that now. You just aren’t listening.

Rioku
Airman First Class

Post by Rioku »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 11:55 I think they say end of win 10 life is 2024 so you'll have a few years after that, so plenty of time yet!
Actually 2025

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the correction there Rioku, so another year then to cover our asses hehe. I cant remember from the top of my head if that was utter stop though or just the initial stop for main support but security updates still continue for a year or so post this.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

BTW, for all the technically knowledgeable people around, what actually was/is the reason for widely dropping Win7 support, if the DirectX wasn't the issue? I understand it makes no real sense to keep supporting an obsolete operating system, but what actually is the component that makes an OS obsolete enough to drop the support if none of the nifty new capabilities are utilized per se? Or is it simply that the software can't be reasonably tested?

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”