Question to the forum about FS2020

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Question to the forum about FS2020

Post by DHenriques_ »

I am testing in FS2020.

The sim is improving with each update.

However I have a recurring issue I'd like to throw out here to see if it's a local issue on my system or if others have had it or are having it presently.
What's happening is happening on every flight. As I am approaching a destination I use the ATC drop down menu to click into the arrival airport's tower asking for a full stop landing. The exchange between myself and ATC goes well and a runway and information is supplied to me.
Then as I get in closer I get two issues concerning ATC.
1. ATC goes into a constant loop requesting an AI aircraft on the runway to exit the runway. This repeats again and again with no result.
2. While on the tower frequency I start getting a continuing loop of ATIS data that keeps running and running.

It would be helpful for me to know if these issues have been experienced by others using 2020.
Thank you very much.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: Question to the forum about FS2020

Post by bullfox »

I am pretty sure the atis problem happens because the program has the same frequency for the tower as it does for atis at that airport. This happens at a few airports in FSX and I just encountered it in P3Dv5.2 although I have forgotten which airport it was. I suspect that FSX, P3D, and MS2020 all use the same frequency data base and in the data base a few airports have the wrong atis and or tower frequency. You should be able to stop the atis by changing the radio frequency but then the next time you try to talk to the tower it will come right back.

The call for AI traffic to exit the runway probably happens because the program did not get the call that the traffic had left the runway. This could be because your traffic settings have culled the AI runway traffic without the program realizing. You might try changing the traffic settings either up or down and see what happens.

I hardly ever complete a flight without messing with the settings at some point. I wonder if this is common or its just me. Its a great learning experience. Change something and see what happens. Sometimes nothing happens, sometime it makes things better. Sometimes the system crashes. P3D is robust like FSX, but not entirely robust. At lot of hands on knowledge about what works in FSX transfers to P3D. Its one of the reasons I plan on staying with P#D even if I eventually try MS2020.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

bullfox wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 13:17 I am pretty sure the atis problem happens because the program has the same frequency for the tower as it does for atis at that airport. This happens at a few airports in FSX and I just encountered it in P3Dv5.2 although I have forgotten which airport it was. I suspect that FSX, P3D, and MS2020 all use the same frequency data base and in the data base a few airports have the wrong atis and or tower frequency. You should be able to stop the atis by changing the radio frequency but then the next time you try to talk to the tower it will come right back.

The call for AI traffic to exit the runway probably happens because the program did not get the call that the traffic had left the runway. This could be because your traffic settings have culled the AI runway traffic without the program realizing. You might try changing the traffic settings either up or down and see what happens.

I hardly ever complete a flight without messing with the settings at some point. I wonder if this is common or its just me. Its a great learning experience. Change something and see what happens. Sometimes nothing happens, sometime it makes things better. Sometimes the system crashes. P3D is robust like FSX, but not entirely robust. At lot of hands on knowledge about what works in FSX transfers to P3D. Its one of the reasons I plan on staying with P#D even if I eventually try MS2020.
Thanks. Useful information.
DH

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

yes ATC in MSFS got on my nerves so much that I eventually started to always set my Comm1 frequency to 121.5 to shut it up completely. Atis often gives incorrect information about the wind too and I just ask my smartphone for "[ICAO] metar" and pick the allmetsat link at the top. I always fly realweather. it's not a perfect match every time but close enough for my VFR/pretended CVFR.

jsbrewster1
Senior Airman

Post by jsbrewster1 »

I haven't really experienced the issues you describe, I have around 250 hours in MSFS so far. ATC is sometimes wonky, definitely a work in progress, but ATIS is generally on a separate frequency. Is it possible you had both Comms toggled up? I have that happen pretty often, about the time ATIS pops, center gives me the initial landing instructions. The times I've experienced aircraft not departing the runway properly is usually another simmer who lands and then logs while still on the runway, Tower takes a LONG time to recognize he's not there any more.
Jeff Brewster
KC-135 Navigator
US Air Force (retired)
"...and miles to go before I sleep..." - RF

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I've had the ATC loop a couple of times when landing at a couple of airports in the US. It seems to be at medium sized airports in my experience. My solution is to either ignore it if the runway is clear enough to land, or find somewhere else close by. I can't say it's happened anywhere else in the world, though.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”