Password Security Just a Tad Overboard???

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Password Security Just a Tad Overboard???

Post by GaryRR »

I just had to create new password for fresh reinstallation of Win 10.
I try to use the same password I can remember for as much as possible. Didn't work for this new one. 12 characters?
We are a nitch interest overall.
Common, who really would try to hack my A2A fleet?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Password Security Just a Tad Overboard???

Post by Oracle427 »

It's not who but what. There are automated bots that go all over the net seeking for and attacking vulnerabilities. They may not gain too much from here perhaps, but the information gathered may prove useful elsewhere especially if the password is common across other sites.

I used to run a public facing website and was stunned at just how much traffic came in from these bots and probed all the typical vulnerable points in a site.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I have to admit. The User Name/Password situation with Microsoft can indeed be a bit much.
Seems like every path to something requires a different set of credentials to access. I've been bogged down with Microsoft more times than I can shake a stick at and as much as I hate to admit it, it does indeed get to be a bit aggravating on occasion.
I have an entire list for Microsoft passwords alone and if the period between uses is too long I usually get an intercept telling me I need to reset something.
I understand the need for internet security but it seems somebody at Microsoft decided long ago that having many many different passwords to access the company's different sites is the answer.
For me anyway, it's been "trying" at times. LOL. :-)))))))))))))
DH

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

My deal is that I like a PW I can remember. Some I have in my Samsu g notes but neither Android or Windows always profiles the correct PW for a site.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

I highly recommend using a password manager application. It's a small program that acts as a database for all your passwords (and other sensitive information), and stores it in an encrypted form, so if a virus or malware took hold of your computer it wouldn't be able to read/steal the data. These programs can usually autofill log-ins within your browser (but many browsers can offer that in their own way). You just need to remember one password for the application itself.

The beauty is that you can easily have different and highly complex passwords for every website. The downside is that you might not have access to your passwords if you're not at your computer, where the app is installed. However, some can sync to cloud storage like Google Drive, and be available on your mobile, but often you'll have to pay for the software for that privilege. I use one called Enpass at the moment. Free on desktop, backs up to Google Drive (in case my PC explodes), has the option for a shared family password vault so my wife and I can save our bank details, payment cards, mortgage info, passport numbers etc. for quick access. But Enpass has very limited mobile sync features unless paid for (I can live with that).

At worst, I would encourage everyone to try to use a different password for every website - try to incorporate an element of the website's name into your password somewhere, to at least add some variety. For example, take the first/last letter of the website's domain and put it at the front/end of your password. Easy method to remember and allows you to have unique passwords for most sites with very little effort :)

Above all, take care with your e-mail account's password. If someone gets into your e-mail they can potentially reset passwords for almost every other website you use. Never use your e-mail password on other sites for that very reason.

You wouldn't use the same basic, easily-pickable lock and key for your house, car, office, garage, motorbike and safe etc. so don't do it with your passwords. It just might save you a lot of hassle!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

FYI...If you don't already have it installed on your system 7-zip is a great archiver (free) and will open every compressed file type that I know of. Another feature is you can encrypt a file with a password. I use it for all my passwords. I just have them all in a text document that requires a password to open. Having to remember only one password is great. It is more reliable than the other encryption apps I have used and more versatile. I have it installed on my PC and laptop.

https://www.7-zip.org/

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”