Charlie Watts

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Charlie Watts

Post by Paughco »

One night while on tour a wasted Mick Jagger called and woke Charlie Watts up in the middle of the night demanding the presence of, “my drummer.” Charlie got up, showered, shaved, put on a suit, went over to Mick’s hotel room, punched Mick in the jaw, and told him, “I’m not your drummer - you’re my f**king singer!” and then walked back to his room, undressed, and went back to bed.
Absolute True story!

Seeya
ATB

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Charlie Watts

Post by Ron Attwood »

Beautiful!
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Certainly one way to make a point and get it across the first time! (will need to remember this when dealing with the Mrs., however, I don't think it would work out well) LMAO
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Pauco, Ron and Bill

nice one! you've touched a nerve here, fellas! I was going to do a dawn T-6, Edinburgh to Dundee, BUT your important post got me waylaid.

What a bloody great drummer! modest and focussed guy, knew where to land his punches!

As a fifteen year old, Sticky Fingers was/IS my number one ' go-to' and then the Exile On Main St. double was/IS fantastic. The Stones kept/KEEP Robert Johnson alive!

Still 50 years later, near daily, I'm getting out me "geetars" and "givin' it some welly" on Stones tunes, more than any other: Get Off My Cloud, Honky Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Shake Your Hips, Sweet Virginia, Stop Breakin' Down, You Gotta Move

The Stones are easily my number 1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58323536

Charlie Watts is still very much alive in my head.

Dear Charlie, "Keep on flyin'!" and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Rod EGBB

(PS Keith Richards also rules, OK! How is he still alive? Gives us all hope!)

"Now then ..... where's me Harvard?" (reminds me of Lonnie Donegan's "oi, where's me tiger's head? ....to which the answer is FOUR FEET FROM HIS TAIL!") Chin up! Keep smilin'!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

The first album I remember buying was the Rolling Stones Aftermath, with Paint It Black being the first song I tried to hack on a guitar.

I was glad I got to see them back on 1981 tour in Orlando. I think I remember reading it was like 90,000 at the show. Also remember thinking the whole band looked old back then and that was 40 years ago. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlEYJOFuCGE&t=14s

I was on the ticket site a couple of weeks ago getting ready to buy tickets for the upcoming Tampa show. By the time I got to the end and they wanted to tack on a service fee that brought two mediocre seats to right at $1000, I backed out.

Forest
FAC257

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe - Given my recent watch of The Dirt and bohemian rhapsody the 'rock and roll lifestyle' isn't all that unique to any single band but just the genre/industry as a whole.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Lewis! Lewis!!

Thinking of the music of the 1970s, no way were the Rolling Stones typical of their genre. They were/ARE the world's greatest rock band. They're in a class of their own.

No way typical of the genre of flight simulation, it's in a world class of it's own. That is A2A!

Rod (EGBB; seaside/EGFF today but no sky nor sea just total mist ........ spooky!)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Two of my first albums were "December's Children" and "Out of Our Heads" by the Stones. MONO!! I still have them, ready to roll on my AR turntable. The Rolling Stones were great. The Stones were influenced by some of the old Blues great. Here is a pretty cool video about how it all comes around: https://www.netflix.com/watch/80066798? ... unknown%2C.

You guys need to watch this - "Under the Influence" by Keith Richards. almost as cool as the sound of the Allison in Army 155

Seeya
ATB

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi Paughco,

MANY THANKS mate for the link on Charlie Watts' friend, Keith Richards!

just watched 'the trailer' on this genius'; and I'm smilin' from cheek to cheek. "rock and rollers have nothin' on those guys" i.e. Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash etc

Just in case you didn't find this'n, I've pasted a link below hoping it opens for you Paughco!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... &FORM=VIRE

Right then, Inverness EGPE - Glasgow EGPF; Cherokee .......A2A of course, Lewis! (remember Morse and his 1960 2.4 litre Jaguar Mk II; yes you do!)

Rod EGBB (too damn hot out there; trimmed out the front, been for a cycle, now coffee and flight ..... liquor and rock 'n roll later on)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

For anyone interested, Netflix has a great new documentary on right now called "Count Me In". It's goes into the thought processes & techniques behind some of rock's greatest drummers. Charlie Watts is one of those they focus on.
I feel fortunate that during my most active concert years I got to see several of the big ones the documentary does pieces on, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Stewart Copland, and Charlie Watts.
Last edited by FAC257 on 08 Sep 2021, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
FAC257

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Hi FAC257

I salute you. You have seen royalty. Wow, wow, wow! You have seen Ginger Baker!!!

His drumming on Cream's Wheels Of Fire is just great. I haven't experienced another rock drummer where I've genuinely enjoyed a drum solo so much e.g. 'Toad' ... Ginger was that great!

Sure, there have been ace jazz drummers Buddy Rich etc

Thanks for stirring the pot, FAC257.

Rod ( EGBB rain's a comin' ..... thank the gods. I don't do 30deg , day after day; not good for Vikings!)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hey rod321,

Actually wished I had seen Ginger Baker with Clapton when they were still together. When I saw Ginger Baker he was with his band Ginger Baker's Air Force. They were the opening act at a concert with The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, & The Doobie Brothers. 1971???

I did see Clapton a couple of times after that.
FAC257

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”