What ever happened to...?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
brettt7777
Airman Basic

What ever happened to...?

Post by brettt7777 »

I seem to remember a while back that A2A was developing an F-104 Starfighter, and maybe an F-4 Phantom also...? Whatever happened to these? Or am I asking the wrong developer?

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Re: What ever happened to...?

Post by ImpendingJoker »

brettt7777 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:39 I seem to remember a while back that A2A was developing an F-104 Starfighter, and maybe an F-4 Phantom also...? Whatever happened to these? Or am I asking the wrong developer?
You are correct. At one time they did say they had started working on both of those aircraft. These were put on the back burner years ago, and one can only assume shelved indefinitely. There was much anticipation for both, but from what I know it was going to be a super expensive, super complex task to get them to the standard they would want before release. With their work on the AT-6 Texan II and T-38 for the USAF maybe these projects will get some more work, though by this time both programming and modeling standards have drastically increased, so one would assume that they would have to be totally started from scratch at this point. These 2 are part of the reason why A2A now holds things close to the chest and rarely says anything about what they are working on so as not to bring any disappointment by having to publicly kill a project again. There are a few other things that they said they were working on that have not been spoken about in years now, so I can only assume, they, too, are shelved or dead entirely.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

ImpendingJoker wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:49 You are correct. At one time they did say they had started working on both of those aircraft. These were put on the back burner years ago, and one can only assume shelved indefinitely.
This is what us model builders refer to as "The Shelf of Doom". :lol:

The one A2A project still on the Shelf Of Doom that really bugs me is the Spitfire MkV. Maybe A2A will resurrect it for MSFS, if ever they release anything for that sim.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 00:06 This is what us model builders refer to as "The Shelf of Doom". :lol:

The one A2A project still on the Shelf Of Doom that really bugs me is the Spitfire MkV. Maybe A2A will resurrect it for MSFS, if ever they release anything for that sim.
Yup. Very disappointed with that. After all the grand words at the time, still waiting.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Would be cool if we could see a version of their flight schools offerings for msfs or p3d, as i imagine alot of the work is already done ? (I wonder if they have working hangar/failure modules in them, prolly not as that is most likely not a requirement for learning centers....maybe walkarounds ? :) )

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Placed on the shelf many years back I am afraid. Though some of those on the shelf come up somewhat regularly as things some members of Staff are interested in bringing over the product finish line.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

brettt7777
Airman Basic

Post by brettt7777 »

ImpendingJoker wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:49
brettt7777 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 21:39 I seem to remember a while back that A2A was developing an F-104 Starfighter, and maybe an F-4 Phantom also...? Whatever happened to these? Or am I asking the wrong developer?
You are correct. At one time they did say they had started working on both of those aircraft. These were put on the back burner years ago, and one can only assume shelved indefinitely. There was much anticipation for both, but from what I know it was going to be a super expensive, super complex task to get them to the standard they would want before release. With their work on the AT-6 Texan II and T-38 for the USAF maybe these projects will get some more work, though by this time both programming and modeling standards have drastically increased, so one would assume that they would have to be totally started from scratch at this point. These 2 are part of the reason why A2A now holds things close to the chest and rarely says anything about what they are working on so as not to bring any disappointment by having to publicly kill a project again. There are a few other things that they said they were working on that have not been spoken about in years now, so I can only assume, they, too, are shelved or dead entirely.
T-38? What T-38?

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Out of all of them I would like to see the Aerostar the most although I know at this time it's painful for the team to think about.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I hope this doesn‘t sound too ignorant, I apologize to the British ;)

We have the Spitfire MK1 and 2, what‘s so different between them and the MkV that‘s it‘s that important to come out and is so disappointing? :oops:

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MarcE wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 12:44 I hope this doesn‘t sound too ignorant, I apologize to the British ;)

We have the Spitfire MK1 and 2, what‘s so different between them and the MkV that‘s it‘s that important to come out and is so disappointing? :oops:
Powah!

Plus a large helping of 'cos'. And I don't mean lettuce. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

For whatever it's worth once we get over this last and final road block the 104 is something I really want to make. Our initial Accu-Sim version of the 104 was so fun to fly (and operate). We've had many arguments with one side saying "let's just get this out to our customers" and the other side saying "we can't do it if it's not 100% up to our Accu-Sim standard." However still not releasing it is still bothering us. Again, once in the clear we can plan like we used to.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Need to consider making an AC-208 combat caravan :D

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Scott - A2A wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 09:00 For whatever it's worth once we get over this last and final road block the 104 is something I really want to make. Our initial Accu-Sim version of the 104 was so fun to fly (and operate). We've had many arguments with one side saying "let's just get this out to our customers" and the other side saying "we can't do it if it's not 100% up to our Accu-Sim standard." However still not releasing it is still bothering us. Again, once in the clear we can plan like we used to.

Scott
Every once in a while, I feel the need (you know what I'm talkin' about), and I consider buying the MilViz F-100. I always hold off, reminding myself that I actually don't need another airplane; my time would be better spent staying in practice with the great A2A aircraft already in my hangar. All that goes POOF! once A2A brings out the F-104!! Now I want the A2A F-104, to be followed closely by the A2A B-25 and Cessna 185.

Thank you
ATB

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

The F-100 won't disappoint you.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”