Done

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

Done

Post by awash2002 »

I am officially done with any kind of flight simming FS2020 will not even load FSX SE the Bonanza has no sound and P3D is too expensive

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Done

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have FSXA not SE , but should be almost the same , when you say no sound , is this with the A2A aircraft or all aircraft , if its all aircraft , then check you have not activated the Q key by error , if only A2A aircraft , check volumn setting on shift 2 or 3 , also check in settings that your default sound setting is selected in the sim , there is usually a simple explanation for this type of error , i never bothered with 2020 or P3D as yet .
regards Allan. 8)

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Today I plan on upgrading to P3D V5.2 which I should have done long ago but I was so bent on staying with FSX that I didn't see the signs it was aging so now I am left with a broken FS2020 sim and no A2A aircraft so I'm going to buy P3D and the Bonanza and Comanche

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Greg,

the recent Accusim version has a sound setting in the menu bar under addons. A Simconnect window should open were you need to make sure that the sound is set to the correct output. It caught me too when my Accusim sound was routed through my TV while its sound is muted.
FS2020 will not even load
there are literally hundreds of threads about such topics at the official MSFS forums. I recommend you have a look there:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/top/daily

The forum is a little difficult to navigate but the search functions quite well.

But if you can give us a detailed describtion of what happens maybe we can help you too? Which version do you have? Win store or Steam?

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I got it fixed and P3D is fantastic

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

Sorry about the problems, @awash2002. I’ll just post this anecdotally about FS2020, though.

I agree it is buggy and many see some pretty exotic and maddening problems, but I found a clean, fresh install of Windows fixed my issues (just like the Rolling Stones said, “all my dreams would come true”).

Windows has always been a buggy OS. The trick is to have the same bugs as the Microsoft and Asobo testers. Even Nvidia. There was some change in their drivers last year that broke updates for a lot of people with FS2020. Upgrade past a certain driver revision and FS2020 turned into a slide show. I rebuilt with my original media. New fresh installation but still could not update the Nvidia drivers. Same slideshow. I reinstalled Windows, again, but using fresh install media created from a fresh download of Windows.iso. Nvidia update went right in. Nvidia specifies on their website somewhere (found it once) that their drivers aren’t compatible with early builds of Windows.

The point is that there are different heritages and builds of Windows. The security and privacy settings pages were very different between the two builds. I don’t know how deep the differences go, but it really does not look like a fully updated version of Windows from old install media (mine was from when Windows 10 first came out) is the same as a brand new Windows install from the latest Windows.iso.

I used to see a number of the usual problems people were reporting with FS2020. I had hung downloads once, CTDs, problems upgrading Nvidia drivers. Now it works great though after the last WU, I am getting very infrequent CTDs again.

I am not trying to convince you to rebuild your system. But for anyone else, if you are to the point of rebuilding, use a fresh .iso from Microsoft. It was a night and day difference for me.

Also, anyone who has been around the block with Windows remembers the days when people “nuked and paved” their computers at least every year. The system loads up with temp files, things get orphaned, the registry gets corrupted. Old code gets superseded. It was SOP to blow it away when things got flaky. Microsoft has tried to paint Windows 10 as a stable OS but it’s not. It still needs blowing away and rebuilding. Maybe not as often as before, but at least by my experience, when things start breaking, nuke and pave.

I don’t know your Windows version heritage but if it is an old install, or even a new install using old media, there may be baked-in issues that are tripping FS2020 up. What I can say is for me, a fresh install using a new windows.iso behaved very differently from the old one. Same FS2020 install too. I keep that on a different drive so didn’t need to download it all again. It was the same FS2020 install besides any updates.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I always contradict to this topic with my example: my windows 10 setup is one go from win 7, have upgraded when they offered it, have used it since then. (Almost) no issues. Some sound anomalies now and then but apparently they are general win problems.

I had the problem three times that MSFS suddenly refused to open. All three times it turned out that the xbox client (not sure about its name atm) tried to update itself and failed. Every time it helped to delete it from the registry (regedit) and then reinstal it from the windows store. Problem solved, MSFS started without any problems. The xbox clients on PC are awful, I sometimes play Sea of Thieves with my friend which has to be done via this client and I never see him online. We always have to talk over steam or discord.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Isn't it a tradition that, as a rule, every second Windows release is good, and every other an excrement? Like, XP - great. Vista - for heaven's sake. 7 - great. 8 - who even remembers that? 10 - great. 11 - ....

:wink:

-Esa

AerialShorts
Staff Sergeant

Post by AerialShorts »

And Marc, that could easily be. I only mentioned it because of my experience. It could be there was some hardware or driver thing causing my issues but I can’t explain better than that why a fresh install with my original Win 10 media wouldn’t work, but a fresh install with new media did work, or why the options in the fresh media installation had more options in privacy and security than the old one.

My Windows media was from right when Windows 10 came out so builds using that would have to be based on very early Windows 10. If you mean to say your Windows install was an upgrade from Win 7, which would make it similar heritage, but you don’t have issues, maybe there is some other difference that made my system susceptible to whatever is the root cause.

I don’t just tell people to rebuild Windows. I post this when people are giving up because Windows and FS2020 beat them into submission. It’s a last resort. It’s a huge PITA and maybe one day Microsoft will understand why OS and user files should be separate. It radically complicates these kinds of things yet their OS is the one most likely to need rebuilds occasionally to stay fit. I don’t know what made it where I could progress and now have a good running system, but that change came only after rebuilding my system again using fresh media.

As always, YMMV. There’s so many variables in desktop systems now. Chipset drivers, sound drivers, video drivers, USB drivers, etc. Any could be the true root cause, but in my case, whatever changed when I rebuilt using new media fixed my system. I’m also not the only one who this has worked for though there is no way to know what their root cause actually was either or why it fixed them.
VR Simming with HP G2 - And Loving It!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”