Noob

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
needlenoses
Airman Basic

Noob

Post by needlenoses »

First time in here and I am interested in starting from scratch with A2A; but where to begin. I had issues installing MSFS; something about missing DLL files in WIN 10. I was a pilot; I build and fly R/C models; and I enjoy World of Warships on line.

So, any help in getting started would be appreciated.

clarkejw
Senior Airman

Re: Noob

Post by clarkejw »

Well, for a start, if you have MSFS, you are in for a wait. Currently, there is no A2A material for this sim.

wrkempson
Airman First Class

Post by wrkempson »

But there are some things you can do to prepare for the day A2A brings out an aircraft for MSFS. First, learn the simulator. MSFS has its share of quirks and its own way for doing things. You may want to learn how to set the weather, load in a flight plan, use the ATC or navigate in the user interface.

Second, you can perfect your flying skills. The Cessna 172 is close enough to the A2A version that you can learn switches and levers, auto pilot and radios. It is not as demanding/rewarding as A2A but you will be learning.

Third, you might consider purchasing FSX on Steam. It is a much cheaper program, worth the money (I think) and will give you access to A2A aircraft. I started with the B377 and my first take off I did what I had always done: I slammed the throttle all the way forward and took off. The resulting engine fires and crash caught my attention. I had to pay attention to all the systems in the aircraft if I was going to fly A2A. Get at least one A2A plane for FSX:SE to learn what it means to have consequences (good and bad) follow your actions in the cockpit. If you get the Cessna 172 you can compare with the MSFS version. I also have the Cherokee and the B377 and the P-51 and the P-40. I love them all.

So, don't turn away from MSFS quite yet. Get ready. The day is coming when A2A comes out with an aircraft for MSFS and I for one will buy it no questions asked. Get FSX:SE for training purposes (it is not expensive at all). Then join us as we wait ... and wait ... and wait ... (to quote from Casablanca).

Wayne

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

A2A currently has Accusim products for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (aka FSX) which is easily available on the Steam platform; and Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3d (aka P3D) platform which is basically a specialized version of FSX that was further developed by LM for military training. Both sims have their advantages. P3D will look better 'out of the box' and solves most Out Of Memory crashes that are common with FSX. FSX on the other hand has a huge catalogue of freeware and payware addons. If your primary interest is flying A2A aircraft over complex addon scenery, consider P3D.

Feel free to ask any questions that come to your mind. This is an amazing community with tons of knowledge, and always very helpful.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Skycat wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 20:06If your primary interest is flying A2A aircraft over complex addon scenery, consider P3D.
+1 on that. Get familiar with the basics on the stock C172, then add the A2A version (with Accusim).

I had no end of trouble getting MSFS (store version) to install on my Win10 system - trying dozens of [extremely] nerdy tricks. None worked - and only a full Win10 reinstall cured it. Even after a decent install, MSFS continually shoots itself in the foot with utterly *insane* update procedures and patches that break more than they fix. I'd say go with P3D for a while - at least until Asobo gets its act together.
--
Image--Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Adam_NZ wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 20:34
Skycat wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 20:06If your primary interest is flying A2A aircraft over complex addon scenery, consider P3D.
+1 on that. Get familiar with the basics on the stock C172, then add the A2A version (with Accusim).
+2.

Get P3D Academic and an A2A Academic aircraft of your choice. Unless they (A2A) break an unspecified road block with MFS, it may be a less than optimum line of aircraft from A2A anyway.

Steve.

needlenoses
Airman Basic

Post by needlenoses »

UPDATE; completed a re-install of win 10 (kept a backup image of my original) onto my SSD drive; all went well, so I got back on with Microsoft games and repurchased MSFS again; ran install and the same issue happened; hardly a surprise. Arranged for a refund. So, now I have to decide what sim I should try next. Included here is a snippet of the chat this morning.

Sorry, insert image button doesn't work; actually none of those buttons work.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

If you want anything from A2A, you need to have Microsoft Flight Simulator X or Prepar3D. I would recommend Prepar3d v5.

Iadbound
Airman

Post by Iadbound »

needlenoses wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 13:48 UPDATE; completed a re-install of win 10 (kept a backup image of my original) onto my SSD drive; all went well, so I got back on with Microsoft games and repurchased MSFS again; ran install and the same issue happened; hardly a surprise. Arranged for a refund. So, now I have to decide what sim I should try next. Included here is a snippet of the chat this morning.

Sorry, insert image button doesn't work; actually none of those buttons work.
If you are having trouble getting MSFS 2020 from the Microsoft Store, purchase it on Steam. Steam users don't seem to have 1/10 the issues that Microsoft Store users do. Unfortunately for me, I bought it Microsoft Store, and it's a pain.

As others have said, P3D v5 is good option too.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

needlenoses wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 13:48 So, now I have to decide what sim I should try next.
Sorry MSFS didn't work out for you. I haven't bought it yet because I have a slow internet provider.

I've used FSX and FSX: Steam Edition for 14 years and recently switched to P3Dv5 (Academic). I have A2A aircraft and ORBX scenery installed to both platforms. I advise P3D because FSX's age is becoming a technical stumbling block for many users -- reports of it not launching, crashing, etc. Meanwhile P3D is in active development and is getting support from Lockheed Martin. The two platforms are about 80% similar in functionality. FSX is more newcomer friendly and entertainment oriented. P3D is a straight to the point scenario creator. They have an almost completely different library of included flyable aircraft.

Here's a pathway to a good P3D setup:
1 - Prepar3d Academic v4 or v5 as your base sim.
2 - A2A Simulations aircraft.
3 - ORBX Global Base + Vector packs for improved world wide terrain coverage; add Open LC or scenery packages as you see fit.
4 - A real-time weather engine. I use Active Sky P3D enhanced with Active Sky Cloud Art textures. An alternative is REX Sky Force 3D. I've heard that some people use Active Sky for weather and REX Sky Force for textures.

I hope this helps a little. :)
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

+1 on P3D v5.2
I still use 4.5 but I have seen videos and read about v 5.2. I am going to it for Christmas.
If you want good realistic flight modeling and aircraft systems flying over realistic landscapes go with P3D V5.2 Academic.
Get
Active Sky P3D
Orbx Global
Orbx Open LC (Your Favorite Region)
Flight1 Ulitimate Terrain (Your Region)
Orbx Freeware Airports Global
Reality-xp Avionics GNS or GTN or both can't go wrong.
And a couple or three A2A Aircraft.

That combination is very realistic with correct landforms and realistic vector and town footprints and the aircraft systems and avionics are training worthy. Best yet, a mid grade computer can perform amazing with it all.
If you are an aviator and not an eye candy junkie P3D with all the bells and whistles will meet all your needs. Best yet, there is years worth of freeware from FSX that have been or can be adapted to work with any version of P3D. It's a whole world without MS Big Brother network's quirky barely past beta wonder.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I just did a WAAS approach with the Bonnie into Piper Memorial, Lockheed, PA.
VERY mountainous and we have the cool early fall morning clouds and fog in the Appalachian right now. What I flew through was very 3d, volumetric, and dynamic. And P3D V4.5 ISN'T even touted for the advanced atmospherics that version 5 has recieved. As it was a very realistic weather depiction. Hey, I live in this region, I know what it really looks like.
Go P3D V5.2. It will help keep you sharp until you RW fly again. I take lessons right now and Ana's Skylane is a ringer for the one I'm learning in and so is the local terrain with my setup. It is a huge plus.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”