Reality XP GTN 750: opinions?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Reality XP GTN 750: opinions?

Post by Skycat »

Is anybody using this with the Accusim GA aircraft and P3Dv5? The Reality XP products have a discount right now. I don't really use the stock GPS very often but the RXP GTN 750 looks interesting.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Reality XP GTN 750: opinions?

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I use the RXP GTN 750/650 combination in the Bonanza and the 650 in the 182, Comanche and Cherokee. If only installing one or the other I’d go with the 650 as for some reason, with the wealth of information available on the 750’s large display, there is no ETE to next waypoint displayed. That’s also not displayed on the Flightplan page, which isn’t very helpful. The 650 module displays that info in both places. Both work very well and the integration with the autopilots is very smooth. Note though that if you’re thinking of using it in the T6, we’ve just discovered that the T6 autopilot will not follow the nav track.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Thanks! I went ahead and bought the 750 tonight and I intend to get the 650 also. I've been playing around with the 2D panel and I really like the ease of use and the wealth of information so far. I also found some advice here in the A2A forums on how to install into the cockpits so hopefully that will lead to a successful upgrade.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 22:46 ... there is no ETE to next waypoint displayed. That’s also not displayed on the Flightplan page, which isn’t very helpful. The 650 module displays that info in both places....
The gtn750 can be setup to display ETE in the main screen. In two ways:

Arturo.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

alioth wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 02:14
MkIV Hvd wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 22:46 ... there is no ETE to next waypoint displayed. That’s also not displayed on the Flightplan page, which isn’t very helpful. The 650 module displays that info in both places....
The gtn750 can be setup to display ETE in the main screen. In two ways:
Well it's a poor day when one doesn't learn something, thanks! Guess I'll have to RTFM... :mrgreen:
Skycat wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 23:59 Thanks! I went ahead and bought the 750 tonight and I intend to get the 650 also. I've been playing around with the 2D panel and I really like the ease of use and the wealth of information so far. I also found some advice here in the A2A forums on how to install into the cockpits so hopefully that will lead to a successful upgrade.
Yep the system is very cool and the touch screen is sooooo much easier than twisting dials!! To install, note that the only A2A airplane that provides native support for the RXP GTN 750/650 is the Bonanza. On any other, just select the FTX version with the A2A Configurator and use the in-game RXP mod tool.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

It's alright. It's unfortunate that it's not native with any of the A2A aircraft except the Bonanza. If you use multiple screens and drag the panel of the GTN will make the other screens go black.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=137267

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

twsharp12 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:03 It's alright. It's unfortunate that it's not native with any of the A2A aircraft except the Bonanza. If you use multiple screens and drag the panel of the GTN will make the other screens go black.
That really makes no difference as the RXP tool works just fine. I only use it in the VC so that's not an issue at all...and the 49" monitor would solve that anyway... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:48
twsharp12 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:03 It's alright. It's unfortunate that it's not native with any of the A2A aircraft except the Bonanza. If you use multiple screens and drag the panel of the GTN will make the other screens go black.
That really makes no difference as the RXP tool works just fine. I only use it in the VC so that's not an issue at all...and the 49" monitor would solve that anyway... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Yeah, definately usable. It was just easier with Flight One's. It's too bad they discontinued it. RXP is good too but I preferred F1. Still works on FSX and P3Dv4 just fine though.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

twsharp12 wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 13:31 Yeah, definately usable. It was just easier with Flight One's. It's too bad they discontinued it. RXP is good too but I preferred F1. Still works on FSX and P3Dv4 just fine though.
I started with the Flight1 version, but could never get the terrain avoidance/ground/prox/pull-up dude to shut up when I flew the Civ Mustang the way I normally fly it!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

After a long evening of fiddling around I now have the RXP 650/750 installed in the C172, C182, Comanche, Cherokee, civilian Mustang and AT-6 to about 95% overall completeness. The last remaining hurdle is fixing the click spots on VC bezels for the C182, Cherokee, Mustang and AT-6 -- if it's possible. The knobs and buttons are animated but they are inoperative even with a 'double click.' It's a minor frustration because the 2D panels work correctly and the VC panels are otherwise powering up with the aircraft electrical switches and have proper interactive displays.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Skycat wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 08:03 After a long evening of fiddling around I now have the RXP 650/750 installed in the C172, C182, Comanche, Cherokee, civilian Mustang and AT-6 to about 95% overall completeness. The last remaining hurdle is fixing the click spots on VC bezels for the C182, Cherokee, Mustang and AT-6 -- if it's possible. The knobs and buttons are animated but they are inoperative even with a 'double click.' It's a minor frustration because the 2D panels work correctly and the VC panels are otherwise powering up with the aircraft electrical switches and have proper interactive displays.
Here is a guide to get the knobs/buttons to work:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5219 ... nt-3939212

It's not perfect, but it's all we got.

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Yep, I've been using the resources at the site with mixed results. That's part of the frustration -- why does the fix work with the C172 but not the C182, etc? I'll take another stab at it tonight with fresh eyes.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Skycat wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 10:05 Yep, I've been using the resources at the site with mixed results. That's part of the frustration -- why does the fix work with the C172 but not the C182, etc? I'll take another stab at it tonight with fresh eyes.
Your frustration is normal with it. I gave up and just use the popup windows now.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

I've never been able to get the bezel buttons working in the VC either and the first time I installed the package with the RXP tool I set up the pop-up windows but could never figure out how to move or hide them, so got rid of them and just replaced the VC gauges instead. The workaround I use now is that if you roll the mouse wheel on the lower left corner of the gauge (650 or 750) it will open another pop-up on which the bezel buttons do work. When I need Direct-To or NAV/COM switching functions, I'll just open the new window and make the selection, then close it again and continue working with the VC version.

I have the 750/650 combination installed only in the Bonanza. I tried that in the C182 but couldn't get the 650 to show NAV 2 indications, so went with the 650 alone, as I did with the Cherokee and Comanche. I left the T-6 with the default GNS400 only because that AP will not follow the GTN NAV track.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

The VC bezel hotspots that open the 2D panels do work, so that's not a problem in any of my aircraft. The 2D panels all seem to have full functionality as well, though I haven't tried setting up the autopilot in any aircraft. I can live without functioning VC bezel knobs/buttons in four aircraft so maybe it would be for the best if I just settle with what I have before I break something.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”