Going Downtown in an F-105

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Going Downtown in an F-105

Post by Paughco »

This is a GREAT story told by a guy who flew a Thud downtown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX9EK_BG_Mc. Basically, it's the format where the guy is standing at a podium, talking about what happened, and showing slides. Some pretty neat pictures, I must say.

Highly recommended. Make sure you watch the aerial refueling segment! A bit later, there's an appearance by Jane Fonda! Check out the aircraft types our guy flew later for TWA! I'm somewhat of an F-105 buff, and I've seen almost everything about the Thud on YouTube, plus all the F-105 web sites, etc. I wouldn't be going on and on if I didn't think this was pretty cool.

Seeya
ATB

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Going Downtown in an F-105

Post by dvm »

The 105 will always be in my memory. I was a young kid in the 50s living on Long Island my Dad worked for Republic at the time. He was involved in the the development of the airplane building prototype components from blue prints. During that time there was always stories about his experiences at the factory and the disappointment that the airplanes production was going to be short lived as the F4 was to replace it. It certainly had a colorful history in Vietnam. Thuds forever ! :D

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

When we were stationed at Patrick AFB, one day while in school at Patrick Elementary, they let all of the classes go outside for a special event. We had no idea what it was for. Turned out it was the Thunderbirds in the 105s, which did several flybys over the school. I'll never forget that, as very few ever saw the T-Birds in the 105s.

Forest
FAC257

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

There is one F-105 in the Musée de l'Air in Le Bourget. Last time I saw her, she was stored outside and IIRC, a twin seater (Wild Weasel..?)
For anyone interested with the Thunderchief operational history, this is a must reading.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I would LOVE to see Jane Fonda feature in a 105 video.
On the ground.
'
Under the 105.
As it drops ordinance.

:wink:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”