Off Airstrip Landings

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Off Airstrip Landings

Post by Killratio »

Now I am fairly relaxed about posting this because:

1. The essential facts are not in dispute
2. There is a court ruling (even though subject, apparently, to appeal).

BUT, Lewis, Nick, feel free to delete if you are inclined. (EDIT or transfer to Flight Academy, where it probably should have gone)

I will just preface the video by saying that in my experience, often when something done by authorities seems unfair, there is a back story, history or facts NOT in evidence that informs their decision to act that way (the "let's nab Al Capone on tax fraud because we can't get him for all of those nasty mob type things we know that he has done" effect). I have absolutely NO reason to believe that is what has happened here but I never discount the possibility.

Assuming that this situation CAN be taken at face value, I find it very worrying that this could well pressure pilots to make very bad decisions in assessing off field sites. I know that once during my time flying I could have been facing exactly this. In that case no complaint was lodged with authorities but a question was asked of our CFI later by someone who had been on the ground nearby. They were assured that all was in order and the matter finished there.

https://youtu.be/RpFDRoStcd4

I'm interested to hear thoughts.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Off Airstrip Landings

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 02 May 2022, 02:56 Now I am fairly relaxed about posting this because:

1. The essential facts are not in dispute
2. There is a court ruling (even though subject, apparently, to appeal).

BUT, Lewis, Nick, feel free to delete if you are inclined. (EDIT or transfer to Flight Academy, where it probably should have gone)

I will just preface the video by saying that in my experience, often when something done by authorities seems unfair, there is a back story, history or facts NOT in evidence that informs their decision to act that way (the "let's nab Al Capone on tax fraud because we can't get him for all of those nasty mob type things we know that he has done" effect). I have absolutely NO reason to believe that is what has happened here but I never discount the possibility.

Assuming that this situation CAN be taken at face value, I find it very worrying that this could well pressure pilots to make very bad decisions in assessing off field sites. I know that once during my time flying I could have been facing exactly this. In that case no complaint was lodged with authorities but a question was asked of our CFI later by someone who had been on the ground nearby. They were assured that all was in order and the matter finished there.

https://youtu.be/RpFDRoStcd4

I'm interested to hear thoughts.
I've had to deal with this sort of thing many times as a consultant on flight safety in the industry.
The way it works is this;
FAA regulations are written in stone and extremely explicit. In writing regulations the FAA makes every attempt to cross every T and dot every possible i.
All this is well and good right up until the point where someone is accused of a violation. At that instant in time everything...........and I mean EVERYTHING......becomes arbitrary and argumentative and subject to "interpretation".
A process is begun and the lawyers arrive en masse to further complicate the matter.
The end result is always the same. The "result" simply falls into the gray area of "opinion" by whoever is in charge that day representing the FAA.
My advice on these matters to pilots everywhere remains today as it has always been.
Do NOT.............under ANY circumstances.............EVER do ANYTHING that puts you in confrontation with the FAA. Treat the FAA as a necessary entity that can smile and shake your hand while at the same time perfectly capable of drawing a gun and shooting you right between the eyes.
Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I have always managed to avoid the Campaign Against Sensible Aviation out here Dudley and those who haven't seem to have found the process exactly as you describe as far as I have heard. One way or another, whenever, things go wrong the Pilot MUST be at fault somehow. (Which is not to defend pilots who do stupid and dangerous things deliberately in any way!!!)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 02 May 2022, 21:25 I have always managed to avoid the Campaign Against Sensible Aviation out here Dudley and those who haven't seem to have found the process exactly as you describe as far as I have heard. One way or another, whenever, things go wrong the Pilot MUST be at fault somehow. (Which is not to defend pilots who do stupid and dangerous things deliberately in any way!!!)
Amen to that ! LOL

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”