XPlane 12

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
bullfox
Technical Sergeant

XPlane 12

Post by bullfox »

Anybody trying the early release XPlane !2?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Destroy
Airman First Class

Re: XPlane 12

Post by Destroy »

From other users who have, it is more like XP11.8 and has a good handful of issues. Hard pass for me. I'm still on FSX and happy enough. I can wait a few more years to see if any sim 'rises to the top' above all others.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Stable enough on my system (so far). Having been spoiled by MSFS 2020, I'm finding the scenery visuals positively *prehistoric* and clouds pretty basic too.

On the plus side, the bundled aircraft (and flight models) appear to be good. Just working my way through all my freeware stuff: some hits, some misses - but that's to be expected.
--
Image--Image

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

My X-plane 11 works and looks well with X-America and other enhancements. I have the Zibo 737-800 which is a freeware PMDG for x-plane and my P3D v4 looks great with numerous Orbx dress ups and lots of custom airports. I will pass on XP 12 and see what gets fixed or improved.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Yes, I've bought it. As with any new version of a sim, the initial public release needs time to mature.
So, for example the Zibo Mod 737 is too slippy (not enough drag, although tbf, so is the PMDG in MSFS apparently, also VNAV isn't working properly on the Zibo).
Perhaps because of this, Zibo seems to have temporarily limited the flight model of the Mod to avoid extremes in the flight envelope.
This suggests that they have made a bunch of improvements to the flight model in XP12.

There's new water physics and water visuals in xplane 12. They look very nice but it means that ideally Ortho4XP and Orbx will both be updated to include water depth data in their scenery.
Also new trees, which hopefully Orbx will start using.
And a bunch of plugins will need updating to work properly (e.g. Better Pushback).

The new weather and snow effects are very nice.

I think some people were hoping for some magic deal between LR and Google Earth for example, but LR would never be able to afford this unless they owned the company.
Austin from LR has been clear that XP won't have scenery like MSFS, and that if you only judge it on that then it will come off worse.

Early days, but I saw a post from Scott where at one point A2A were considering developing for xplane.
I'd love to see a J3 Cub on floats from A2A in MSFS
(and also the Cherokee, the Connie, the V-tail, .... :lol: )

Yeah, early days but I like it.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

I have not bought XPlane 12 but I have seen a number of videos. The weather engine looks pretty good, the clouds need some more help but they are ok, the water treatment and the lighting appears to be excellent. The default scenery is better than P3D default scenery by quite a bit but not as good as MSFS. But this is without and Orbx updates. Looks like the flight model and sound are excellent although some have noted some updates may be needed. I am hoping A2A will produce for XPlane 12. We are going out of town next week so I am holding off trying it myself as well as more work on my garden railroad and rc aircraft until we get back. In the meantime, working on P#D and trying to improve the Sabreliner. Way too much news this week in England, Ukraine, and US politics.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

I was reading posts on Avsim about XP 12. I noticed a lot of people, enchanted by the satellite visuals thrashing XP 12. But, as far as the demo even goes, it does seem to be a leap over 11. For me the problems are similar to 11.

ATC
AI traffic

I want a better developed, closer to real world procedures ATC with human voice sampling.
I want AI traffic that flies routes.

If XP 12 tuned those up, I would be very happy with XP 12.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Does anyone really uses in-sim ATC? (except in DCS where you have to)

I haven't tried it with xplane 12, but Pilot2ATC works with xplane 12 apparently (and has real world procedures and works with voice sampling).
Actually, just remembered: a few months ago I found a youtube video on using Amazon's web voices for more natural sounding ATC voices from the controllers, but couldn't get AWS working.

Back on topic, Just Flight's Traffic Global works with xplane 12 if you copy a config file over from 11 apparently. Hopefully JF will update it sometime to avoid the need for that.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

As a non-MP person, count me as another one who'd like a better ATC and ACC (area control centre) implementation. At least with good support for VFR and taxi.

From what I've seen and heard of XP12, the scenery is still the same as X-Plane 11, so that's a big problem for me. As long as it's not possible to recognize the land in VFR, XP still feels like an experimental tool. Sure it's possible to buy very expensive scenery for some selected regions of the world, but not where I fly and it's a lot of GB. If they include Ortho4XP it won't improve much either, I've tried that several times and there are too many problems with the buildings, roads and objects that don't match the landscape.

Then there are the clouds and the underlaying weather system... hopefully they'll upgrade it with realistic cloud shapes.

On the other hand, it's reportedly less demanding on the hardware than MSFS, which has its own issues with exaggerated colours and flight dynamics.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Redglyph wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 06:19 As a non-MP person, count me as another one who'd like a better ATC and ACC (area control centre) implementation. At least with good support for VFR and taxi.

From what I've seen and heard of XP12, the scenery is still the same as X-Plane 11, so that's a big problem for me. As long as it's not possible to recognize the land in VFR, XP still feels like an experimental tool. Sure it's possible to buy very expensive scenery for some selected regions of the world, but not where I fly and it's a lot of GB. If they include Ortho4XP it won't improve much either, I've tried that several times and there are too many problems with the buildings, roads and objects that don't match the landscape.

Then there are the clouds and the underlaying weather system... hopefully they'll upgrade it with realistic cloud shapes.

On the other hand, it's reportedly less demanding on the hardware than MSFS, which has its own issues with exaggerated colours and flight dynamics.
It would seem from all I have seen and read that X-plane does best with North American scenery, US specifically. I bought XP 11 on Steam special for 20 some dollars and I have to say that the stock scenery in XP is far and away more accurate, at least here in the States, than P3D stock. And the airports were much closer in appearance to actual than P3D default. I only can speak for demo so far in XP 12 though. There were some issues though. My local International KMDT did not have the famous TMI towers just to the south under stock XP 11 for instance. It took xAmerica to put them there which also changed everything else. I know further work will be done. What LR released is not the final package, it is classed an open beta and LR will make a lot of increment improvements and of course 3rd party will be very busy to.

Marvin-E34
Senior Airman

Post by Marvin-E34 »

I'm always puzzled by X-plane's scenery.
Default textures and assets were already great in XP11.
Now XP12 has a very good lighting system.
But it all comes down to coastlines and asset placement.

We are still getting funky roads, hard edges coastlines / lakes. I don't mind a generic world scenery, not everything has to be a 5TB install :mrgreen: But they really need to polish what they have.

Bones
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bones »

If that's supposed to be Dallas, they got the roads exactly right.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

:lol:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Redglyph wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 06:19 As a non-MP person, count me as another one who'd like a better ATC and ACC (area control centre) implementation. At least with good support for VFR and taxi.

I don't know what region you VFR but I can tell you my home area, Pennsylvania USA has the correct rerrain and geography. The town footprints are mostly correct and the streets and roads. Enough so for me to VFR based on my native familiarity.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

GaryRR wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:02 I don't know what region you VFR but I can tell you my home area, Pennsylvania USA has the correct rerrain and geography. The town footprints are mostly correct and the streets and roads. Enough so for me to VFR based on my native familiarity.
I'm in Europe, maybe that explains why XPlane looks so bad since Austin doesn't live here. And since only the large countries get expensive Orbx sceneries there is no way to use it as a trainer for VFR - I've tried but the textures, roads and trees for example are not aligned properly, so I get buildings and trees in the middle of roads and fields, and textures of roads beside the "3D" road itself. Airport sceneries stand out as if they had nothing to do in the land scenery. Then there are none of the visual landmarks we use when flying. It makes the whole experience unrealistic and feels cheap (when it's anything but).

Marvin's screenshot above summarizes it pretty well. :)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”