A factoid

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

A factoid

Post by Ron Attwood »

95% of electric vehicles are still on the road.

IT'S A BLOODY JOKE! :roll:

The remaining 5% made it all the way home

From a reliable source. You know who you are!
Last edited by Ron Attwood on 19 Sep 2022, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Destroy
Airman First Class

Re: A factoid

Post by Destroy »

Ha, don't shout that at a Tesla gathering.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

EV owners should carry around a gas generator to charge their car in case of emergency. :lol:

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

So if an EV has a 400 mile range how many miles to the gallon does it get?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

bullfox wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 13:06 So if an EV has a 400 mile range how many miles to the gallon does it get?
That's actually a very good question.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Depends on whose numbers you believe. I've seen figures everywhere from about 75 to 140 miles per gallon for a Tesla. I suspect it's going to depend greatly on how and where the car is driven and whether you're in cool, 60-70 degree weather or in Phoenix in August or Fargo in January. I wouldn't count on max range or good "mpg" if you've got the heater or air conditioner working overtime, you might just end up in the 95% if you catch my meaning :wink:

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Just put a generator on the roof running the whole time and you should get hundreds of miles. Traditional combustion, but with extra steps.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

twsharp12 wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:58
bullfox wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 13:06 So if an EV has a 400 mile range how many miles to the gallon does it get?
That's actually a very good question.
And actually a difficult one to answer. But I'll do my best as an electrical engineer.

The only time I has been driving or riding a Tesla was a certain shop visit. I don't remember what exactly what was brought back nor what was the exact distance. Yet, I still think that I can do a fairly rigid calculation over this, on a back of an envelope.

Rough, good-enough for engineering figures would have been: 12 pints of quality lager and about 4.5 miles there and back.

As it turns out, the pints of beer are in imperial pints, that is, one eight of an imperial gallon. For whatever reason, the mileage is in US gallons and in statute miles - the ones you'd march with a backpack and an M4 or what have you, but different miles from the ones you call miles in an aircraft. Unless you have an old aircraft, having its airspeed measured in miles per hour, where the statute miles are referred into in a face of an instrument that does not in fact measure speed, or velocity, at all, but a kind of pressure.
Who knows what's the deal here!

(As the Brits left the EU, I've got no longer any information whatsoever to spy on what units they calculate their mileage in. Perhaps someone can leak some info here!)

All this is quite confusing, but anyhow, doing the conversation, 12 imperial pints translate into 1.8 US liquid gallons. Of course, there are dry gallons as well, but for probably very good reasons, they need to be different gallons from the liquid gallons.

But from hereon the maths are straightforward: we've got 4.5 miles to 1.8 gallons, or 2.5 miles per gallon. Seems obviously rather horrible, most petrol... excuse me, gasoline engines would have beaten that easily.

Still, I feel that as an electrical engineer, and a strong supporter of EVs, I need to find a way to improve this.

The alcohol content of that 12 pints of lager was 4.7 % of the volume, that is, 0.085 US gallons. If I had bought some Scotch instead, with 40 % of alcohol content, the required amount for a similar amount of substance would have been just 0.21 gallons. Thus, the resulting mileage would have improved to 21.4 miles per gallon.

Indeed, tech is difficult and engineering even more so, but still - mind your choices!

-Esa

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

Some of you missed the point. EVs don't use any gasoline so they get infinite miles to the gallon or no miles to the gallon depending on how you want to compute.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Don't they use gasoline if you use a gas generator to charge them?

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

I don't get it...Why would you want to use a gas generator ?

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Daube wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 16:37 I don't get it...Why would you want to use a gas generator ?
Diesel generators are used to charge stranded EVs, Example: Your batteries die out in the countryside. You phone your Automobile Association and they sent out a van with a generator which chagres your battery and on you go 5 hours later.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Ron Attwood wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 18:00
Daube wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 16:37 I don't get it...Why would you want to use a gas generator ?
Diesel generators are used to charge stranded EVs, Example: Your batteries die out in the countryside. You phone your Automobile Association and they sent out a van with a generator which chagres your battery and on you go 5 hours later.
That would be 5 hours AFTER waiting the 5 hours for them to show up with the generator.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Tug002 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 09:20
Ron Attwood wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 18:00
That would be 5 hours AFTER waiting the 5 hours for them to show up with the generator.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
That's my big problem. Ever the optimist. :roll:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”