How do you perform a Circle-To-Land in VFR conditions

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
sage
Airman First Class

How do you perform a Circle-To-Land in VFR conditions

Post by sage »

Yesterday an aircraft was told to perform a Circle-To-Land to RWY 4 in VFR conditions. The wind had changed from RWY 31 to RWY 4. However, when it was my turn to land the wind went back to 31. I was very concerned because I had never did a Circle-To-Land.
Thanks, Sage

CoyoteLoco
Airman

Re: How do you perform a Circle-To-Land in VFR conditions

Post by CoyoteLoco »

Sage,

It depends on which type of approach you are using. Is it a visual approach or monitored approach. If monitored, the plate for the approach, usually at smaller airports, offers a 'circle to land' procedure. If an ILS or LOC approach you will use the ILS frequency and use Back-course (BC or Reverse) on the autopilot. If not a monitored approach (full visual) you need to find out which direction the airport requires for approach (left or right) and perform a standard visual approach for the airport.

I'm not a real pilot so I may be corrected however this is the process I use. I would be happy to be corrected if I am incorrect.

Dana
Dana Wiles

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

A circle to land is a completely visual manuever used when flying under instrument flight rules. There is no definition for "circle to land" in VFR flight that I am aware of,

If the airport is towered, with VFR traffic the tower will issue directions to the traffic to get everyone sequenced in. I would never expect circle to land to be in those directions for a VFR operation. On the other hand in IFR conditions the tower may clear an aircraft for a particular approach with a circle to land on a runway different from the one referenced in the approach.

Non-towered, everyone needs to maintain situational awareness and work together to change the traffic pattern direction. Usually what I have seen is that aircraft will continue to fly a rectangular traffic pattern and then fly upwind which is now downwind for the opposite runway. Naturally terrain and other factors may compel other actions. If the favored runway is not opposite direction and there is a crossing runway, then a variation of the downwind/upwind leg is still usually enough to do the trick. Hopefully everyone is on the ball. :)

In IFR operations, circling to land requires one to establish visual contact with the runway of intended landing and maintain visual contact all throughout the maneuver right up to landing. Loss of visual contact requires one to immediately go missed. There are usually higher minimums on the approach plates for this provided it is authorized. The category of the aircraft (determined by the final approach speed Vref) will determine the applicable minimums as well as the maximum distance that the aircraft can be from the airport environment. It is a challenging procedure and requires a high level of proficiency to safely execute.

I had the "pleasure" of flying a circle to land procedure in actual IMC with some decent winds and lots of rain coming down right at minimums. My instructor was thrilled that we had this opportunity to let me have a taste of flying this procedure in marginal conditions. It kicked the workload up tenfold and I would definitely consider all other options before resorting to a circle to land. Flying an ILS in the exact same conditions was easy peasy.

https://www.aviator.zone/pireps/2021/9/ ... le-to-land

Edit:

Added article with much more detail, note that circle to land doesn't involve literally making a circle or an arc to land as it is more like a modified traffic pattern.

https://www.ifr-magazine.com/technique/ ... y-to-turn/
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

For the big planes, there are usually ready procedures thought out for you (not surprisingly!). They are in form of timed track offsets. These come handy, as things tend to happen rather quickly. How the box is recommended to be programmed varies somewhat. An important consideration is to have an appropriate missed approach procedure in the box, as you are facing different way from the instrument approach that initially brought you to the circling altitude. There are several videos in YouTube where these are demonstrated by professional pilots for various flight sim aircraft.

Obviously, even if flown using calculated series of timed track changes, you'd still need to assure your position and terrain clearance visually.

-Esa

sage
Airman First Class

Post by sage »

Thanks to all for your input.
sage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”