MSFS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
jeanl2
Airman

Re: MSFS

Post by jeanl2 »

wv.citybilly wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 13:14 MSFS compared to P3d feels like a step backwards.
In what way? The weather, aircraft, scenery, systems, flight dynamics etc. Are all better in MSFS. P3D is just FSX but updated. I used it for many years and was happy with it, but when MSFS came I let it go and I don't regret it. Not to mention the much more active development that MSFS has. Asobo has shown they are commited to improving the sim. Especially by hiring Working Title, they have improved the default aircraft and avionics so much that we actually have payware quality planes in the sim by default now. The only thing MSFS is missing is something with the immersion level of A2A. That will take it to a whole new level when the Comanche releases.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

wv.citybilly wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 13:14 Once you get past the "oohh ahhh pretty" of Bing Maps, the applications states it as it loads. It's a game.

Not impressed. I started out with Steam FSX, migrating to P3D, and never missed FSX a day (nor the problems it had). MSFS compared to P3d feels like a step backwards.
What are you getting so excited about? You tried it, don't like it, move on. I don't know if you're old enough to have finally realised that life doesn't always come up to your expectations.
You've still got P3D thank God. :)
With love, Ron
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

I think it also largely depends on now much you have explored MSFS. When I first got it and loaded it up in a default aircraft I wasn’t much impressed and ignored it on my hard drive and carried on with P3D. However as the sim developed and the first good quality add on aircraft appeared I started using it more and more to the point where now I rarely revisit P3D. Do I miss my A2A aircraft in it? Of course. There isn’t really anything at that same standard but there are some that have reached a level that, coupled with the more realistic world, it makes MSFS a more attractive proposition. Is in perfect? Is a sim ever really perfect? There are plenty of real world pilots out there who are enjoying using it. When A2A arrives then we’ll reach a new level of course. In the meantime we have the choice to run both sims. I still come back to P3D for my P-51 and T-6 fix.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I still enjoy flying P3D very much but only because I've heavily customized it with commercial third-party addons: Active Sky P3D; REX SkyForce for P3D; ORBX Global; ORBX NA, and ORBX True Earth products; A2A AccuFeel, A2A Aircraft; Reality XP GTN 650/750; REX Worldwide Airports textures; and the Where Are My Aircraft App. Without these enhancements P3D would be a very lackluster sim for me. I rarely fly the stock P3D aircraft, and almost never the military ones.

I initially reveled in P3D's native VR support; but MSFS has a more polished implementation of VR. It has been several months (perhaps a year) since I've used P3D as a VR platform.

The more I fly MSFS, the more I really enjoy it. I had to sort out some peripheral and GUI settings first, but I now have MSFS mostly set up in a way that is comfortable to me. I still miss some features from FSX/P3D -- the ATC voices being one of them -- but for what I've spent, my mostly stock MSFS Standard Edition beats my heavily customized P3D in some key areas. I only fly VFR, so scenery is important to me -- especially depictions of Central Montana where I live. One of the World Updates added the "Our Lady of the Rockies" overlooking Butte, Montana, and that's a cool landmark to fly to. I am also fortunate that there is a pretty good commercial scenery for my local airport (KGTF). I recently added the free "Fly By Wire" commercial airliner traffic and I'm still fascinated by seeing aircraft with actual liveries appropriate to my region operating around me. I also installed the free JP Logistics Cessna 152 and the free version of the PMS50 GTN 750 GPS, which combined is a satisfying flying experience as I wait for the A2A Comanche to drop.

Compared to P3D I've spent very little on MSFS addons. I have REX AccuSeason, and I think it is a worthwhile enhancement although not particularly necessary. On the contrary, I've also found some really cool free enhancements at FlightSim.to -- for example the Puffin Flight "We Love VFR" regions and the "Power Lines and Solar Farms" package.

To summarize: MSFS = Not Garbage.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

What's the goal here? Convince the OP? What for? He clearly displayed his cluelessness with the three/tree thing and the refusal to learn something with the second post.. Pointless efforts, really.. Let's enjoy the sim and look forwards to A2A's release(s).

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

MarcE wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 09:34 What's the goal here? Convince the OP? What for? He clearly displayed his cluelessness with the three/tree thing and the refusal to learn something with the second post.. Pointless efforts, really.. Let's enjoy the sim and look forwards to A2A's release(s).
You are exactly right. The OP just doubled down on his ignorance. I have been a proponent of MSFS since the early days and there were many MANY naysayers on these very forums that lambasted me over it but, I am not going to quibble with their lack of foresight(I also predicted the sudden acceptance by said naysayers more than 3 years ago). That said, MSFS has far surpassed FSX/P3D in every possible way. The ATC, while bad, is not unusable and if you map the legacy keybinds from FSX to the keyboard, I find it just as simple to use as I did in FSX. It's still bad don't get me wrong but it is better than the default FSX/P3D ATC.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

". . . MSFS has far surpassed FSX/P3D in every possible way."

:roll:

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

ratty wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 08:07 ". . . MSFS has far surpassed FSX/P3D in every possible way."

I would stick an 'almost' in there somewhere. :D

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

ratty wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 08:07 ". . . MSFS has far surpassed FSX/P3D in every possible way."

Offer a counter, don't roll your eyes like a child.
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

Ron Attwood wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 10:50
I would stick an 'almost' in there somewhere. :D
Good thing for me, I'm not you. haha
Paul

Part 147 Instructor

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Yeah the UI is just bad, the locked down nature of this XBox politics doesn‘t help development, should have been devided into two sims long ago, this and that is just bad design… but beside that 🤷🏻‍♂️ it‘s the best sim I‘ve ever used. If I want to have perfectly correct flight dynamics I use my clubs airplanes. The money many people have spent in flightsim hardware and addons could have been put into a PPL easily. Instead there is bad mood, rants everywhere abozt everything… people literally beat eachother up in the various forums about EFBs and turbulences… I just lol… This sim has its downsides, if „you“ can‘t deal with them don‘t use the sim, there are others. XP, DCS, P3D… apparently are all of them better than MSFS. No idea why some people stick with a sim or certain developers they don‘t seem to like. But human behaviour has always been beyond my comprehension.

I personally love MSFS, I do what I want in there, currently it‘s a world trip of some sort with some small airplanes in rotation. Some gliding in between.. Google Maps replacement textures, I mean come on… who cares if the turbulences are correct? I deal with them with my body in real life anyway, not only with my eyes. I turn them down and am happy again. A good red wine, some cheese and crackers… have fun or do something else but don‘t rant in forums about things you won‘t change anyway.

Jorge Bach
Airman First Class

Post by Jorge Bach »

MarcE wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:16 Yeah the UI is just bad, the locked down nature of this XBox politics doesn‘t help development, should have been devided into two sims long ago, this and that is just bad design… but beside that 🤷🏻‍♂️ it‘s the best sim I‘ve ever used. If I want to have perfectly correct flight dynamics I use my clubs airplanes. The money many people have spent in flightsim hardware and addons could have been put into a PPL easily. Instead there is bad mood, rants everywhere abozt everything… people literally beat eachother up in the various forums about EFBs and turbulences… I just lol… This sim has its downsides, if „you“ can‘t deal with them don‘t use the sim, there are others. XP, DCS, P3D… apparently are all of them better than MSFS. No idea why some people stick with a sim or certain developers they don‘t seem to like. But human behaviour has always been beyond my comprehension.

I personally love MSFS, I do what I want in there, currently it‘s a world trip of some sort with some small airplanes in rotation. Some gliding in between.. Google Maps replacement textures, I mean come on… who cares if the turbulences are correct? I deal with them with my body in real life anyway, not only with my eyes. I turn them down and am happy again. A good red wine, some cheese and crackers… have fun or do something else but don‘t rant in forums about things you won‘t change anyway.
Agree 100%

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MarcE wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:16
Attaboy! That's the spirit. Not sure about the gliding though. :? I'll have to give that a go.....Sometime. :D

Buffalo Alien
Airman

Post by Buffalo Alien »

MarcE wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 09:34 .. Let's enjoy the sim and look forwards to A2A's release(s).
Absolutely.
P3Dv5, DCS World, ED Odyssey, MSFS PC & Xbox Series X. Win 11 23H2, ASRock B550AM, AMD Ryzen7 3700X 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon RX5700, 64 GB DDR4 3000 MHz, ASUS TUF 23.8 x2, TM Hotas Warthog, TM TFRP, Xbox Elite Controller 2, TM TFlight Hotas One, MX Mech.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Ron Attwood wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 17:12
MarcE wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:16
Attaboy! That's the spirit. Not sure about the gliding though. :? I'll have to give that a go.....Sometime. :D
If I may I'd higly recommend the freeware ASK7 at f.to and definitely the Gotfriends Discus 2. I have flown the Discus CS and 2 in reality for years and learned on the ASK13 which is the successor of the K7, by comparision to the real planes both handle very well in the sim. During final approach they seem to lack drag a bit, they tend to balloon more than in real life but it could be that it's just the different controls in the sim than in RL. And winch launch is quite wrong.. but well.. they fly really nicely =)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”